Would the Browns be a trade partner at #4?

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I don’t necessarily care who their guy is, I just don’t want them to make the mistake Dumbahoe did in 2004 when he wouldn’t pay Houston what Houston wanted to move into their slot so Dumbahoe could pick the guy he really wanted....Big Ben.

....well, he did end up with Losman after snookering the Pack, right (COUGH)??...........Tom Terrific albeit...........

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I don’t necessarily care who their guy is, I just don’t want them to make the mistake Dumbahoe did in 2004 when he wouldn’t pay Houston what Houston wanted to move into their slot so Dumbahoe could pick the guy he really wanted....Big Ben.

We won’t have other draft picks....and we aren’t allowed to sign free agents this year?

Thanks. I didn’t know that.

If we are selling the farm then not really.  And Beane has already hinted that the team, while it will be active in FA, don't expect a grand accumulation of signings.  We are still not in the cap shape we want to be in just yet.  So yeah!!

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...there is just NO way in hell I see this gang as riverboat gamblers with draft capital, BEST we have had in years, BOE.......still think their QB guy is Rudolph who Beane personally scouted twice, once at WVU game and at his bowl game...by most accounts, he'll be there at 21 or even later.....safe and perhaps unsexy pick, but I just sense him as their target....surrendering significant capital to move up (doubt they would target the Big 4 QB's) doesn't fit their conservative nature......so now you still have high draft capital for OL/DL or DL/OL, whichever is the priority preference.....perhaps LB next and a late, LATE RB (maybe)......not sure about RB though......don't really know what we have in Jones, Cadet & Murphy due to injury......I could be dead by April 2019 so you'll have to text me in "Hell's Kitchen", my known final resting place................

I respectfully disagree. I believe that this regime traded down to get another first round pick and dealt a major talent such as Watkins with the next draft year in mind. It appears that their calculation was that this qb class was better and deeper than last year's class. 

While you believe that this regime wouldn't take a riverboat gamble's approach to this draft by using a fistful of picks to get a qb I would characterize them as more likely to be bold rather than timid on how they address the qb issue in this draft, assuming that's the route they take. 

When this regime took over the impression they made with their numerous transactions was that they were going to dramatically remake the roster and restructure the cap they inherited. From what I have seen so far that is exactly what they have done. I'm not saying you are wrong in your judgment because I am just as likely to be wrong in my opposite view. My instincts tell me that this regime is willing to go out and make an expensive splash to get the qb they have designated as their franchise qb. We shall see!

5 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

If we are selling the farm then not really.  And Beane has already hinted that the team, while it will be active in FA, don't expect a grand accumulation of signings.  We are still not in the cap shape we want to be in just yet.  So yeah!!

What cap shape is that? They looking to have 70-80 million under?

They don’t hang banners for having the most cap space. The Bills are in very good shape heading into this off-season and those numbers will get better in the couple years after that.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

7 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

We won’t have other draft picks....and we aren’t allowed to sign free agents this year?

Thanks. I didn’t know that.

Agreed. With playing against an elite QB twice a year [Brady], the Bills need an elite QB that can compete against him and be able to put up 30 points or more against the Patriots (instead of three points).

Just now, Jerry Jabber said:

Agreed. With playing against an elite QB twice a year [Brady], the Bills need an elite QB that can compete against him and be able to put up 30 points or more against the Patriots (instead of three points).

Absolutely.

On top of that, I don’t think Daboll agreed to leave Alabama to come here without the promise that the Bills would do what it takes to get their man at QB.

You better believe they will be poised to make a bold move on draft day. It has been a long time coming that we have had a true franchise player behind center.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

I respectfully disagree. I believe that this regime traded down to get another first round pick and dealt a major talent such as Watkins with the next draft year in mind. It appears that their calculation was that this qb class was better and deeper than last year's class. 

While you believe that this regime wouldn't take a riverboat gamble's approach to this draft by using a fistful of picks to get a qb I would characterize them as more likely to be bold rather than timid on how they address the qb issue in this draft, assuming that's the route they take. 

When this regime took over the impression they made with their numerous transactions was that they were going to dramatically remake the roster and restructure the cap they inherited. From what I have seen so far that is exactly what they have done. I'm not saying you are wrong in your judgment because I am just as likely to be wrong in my opposite view. My instincts tell me that this regime is willing to go out and make an expensive splash to get the qb they have designated as their franchise qb. We shall see!

....agreed and I most certainly respect your position (that's how this place is supposed to work).......in honest retrospect, I NEVER saw Whaley/OBD jumping up for Sammy.....or the Spiller pick and even throw in the Roscoe pick for good measure......probably DEAD wrong (as usual), but I see this gang looking methodically at draft capital and FA spending capital with the objective of filling as many holes as possible with quality, but perhaps not the "ultimate cream" in this their first draft together (Beane & McD).....stay tuned.......

2 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

The Cleveland Browns have the first and fourth picks in the draft this year. The Browns are almost certain to take the best QB in the draft. With that being said, I wonder if Cleveland would be a willing trade partner with the Bills for the #4 spot? I’m sure it would take at least both Bills first round picks, a second rounder and who knows what else that could entice the Browns (maybe including a player on the current Bills roster or a 2019 draft pick included?)

I think the Browns are in a great spot to trade down at #4 personally, although I feel like they wont, especially if Barkley is on the board.  Rumors are going around they might like Allen best at QB, if that is the case, wouldn't surprise me to see them take someone like Barkley at #1 then Allen at #4.  Obviously if they dont go QB first overall, I think there is little chance they trade down from #4.  

Now I don't like any of those ideas personally for the Browns, its just what I expect them to do.  If I am the Browns I would take their QB at #1 (Either Rosen or Darnold) and then definitely try and trade down inside the top 10 with someone eyeing what ever QB they covet that is on the board still at #4.  Then use that pick to grab OL help, Roquan Smith, Fitzpatrick, one of the edge rushers, or even Guice (although in such a deep RB class I wouldnt take a RB if I am them).

But Browns are the Browns...so screwing up the #1 and #4 pick are definitely in play haha.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

What cap shape is that? They looking to have 70-80 million under?

They don’t hang banners for having the most cap space. The Bills are in very good shape heading into this off-season and those numbers will get better in the couple years after that.

I haven't found a data source that would support those numbers.  Not even close to those numbers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/

Now, of course, there are some other contracts that might be coming off the books.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Darnold is the only one worth moving up for. If Cleveland is dumb enough to pick Allen then we should make a phone call if Sam is there @ 4. 

I was traveling in car yesterday..so this is sketchy.....but basically was listening to an interview with a PAC 12 defensive back who played against both darnold and rosen

clearly remember him saying nice things about rosen.....but made it clear that Darnold was special.

5 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I haven't found a data source that would support those numbers.  Not even close to those numbers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/

Now, of course, there are some other contracts that might be coming off the books.

You won’t find anything that supports 70-80million under. I put that out there to say the Bills don’t need to get near that to make significant changes. And, they will still have draft picks even after a big trade.

I remember people being excited using two first round picks plus to draft a WR.......well, I am ready to go above and beyond that to get their man at QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

You won’t find anything that supports 70-80million under. I put that out there to say the Bills don’t need to get near that to make significant changes. And, they will still have draft picks even after a big trade.

I remember people being excited using two first round picks plus to draft a WR.......well, I am ready to go above and beyond that to get their man at QB.

I wasn't.  I always look at moves like that in terms of are we 1 player away.  Most of the time the answer is hell no so I'd most likely never make those kind of moves because you are almost never going to be one player away.  Now if a guy falls within range that I like I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on him.  But if I'm looking at a roster that has the holes that ours will, these are not the moves that I like.

11 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

People are so sure Buffalo is going to trade up for a QB.  I don’t see it.  I see them getting a guy like Alex Smith and staying put and if a QB falls to them they will take one.  

I don't see it either.

Now, what I mean by trading up to the top 4 picks.

I could see the Bills jump up (lets say above the Redskins) IF they thought the QB available was worth it and they were sure the Redskins wanted him.

A move like that would be our 21st pick and this years 2nd with probably a 2019 2nd or so.

I could live with that.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't see it either.

Now, what I mean by trading up to the top 4 picks.

I could see the Bills jump up (lets say above the Redskins) IF they thought the QB available was worth it and they were sure the Redskins wanted him.

A move like that would be our 21st pick and this years 2nd with probably a 2019 2nd or so.

I could live with that.

Yeah i can see a short trade up.  Nothing in to the top 10 like a lot of people are talking about.  

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yeah i can see a short trade up.  Nothing in to the top 10 like a lot of people are talking about.  

Yep.

Also what I think people are missing is that a team like Colts or Cleveland 4th will have much better "partners" with Jets/Broncos.

They could trade down a few picks get something for it and knowing these teams are picking QBs, still get one of their non-QB top players.

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Same here...

• Like (+1) 1

I think the answer would depend on which QBs are still available, for Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield yes.  If the 3 of them are gone I would wait to see who falls to the Bills at 21.  I think everyone else is a crap shoot