I'll be first to ask: Would you fire Mike Tomlin?

Ennjay

What's funny to me is the Steelers defense allows a clown like QB Blake Bortles with Jags team to score 45 points on them AT Pittsburgh!  Whatever happened to the Blitzburgh Steelers who managed zero sacks on Bortles?

Then they go and fire their OC who helped Big Ben set playoff records of 37 of 58 for 469 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Tomlin will be around for at least another 5 years, he just signed an extension at the beginning of this season.  I have family in Pittsburgh, who tell me Tomlin gets questioned in the local media.

My good friend went to Pitt & he still has a lot of friends that live in the Burgh.  He says Tomlin gets questioned all the time by the fan base.  He also says that they don't appreciate Big ben has he gets criticized a lot also.  Some fan bases just don't know how good they have it.

Onto the subject, Tomlin is like 90% of the coaches out there.  Nothing special.  Give him a good QB & they win, give him a crap QB & they lose.  Tomlin has been blessed to have Big ben as his QB all these years.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bah, then maybe Coach Cowher should have drafted (or asked to be drafted) more than 1 QB higher than 5th round in his 12 HC years before Benjamin Todd

There were 8 or 9 pretty good QB drafted in that time frame, and a couple more who won Superbowls too

Perhaps, but that doesn't really refute my point.   

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It perhaps makes a different one: that if lacking a QB is the "excuse" for Cowher, perhaps he should have done more to acquire one.

I agree, he probably should have.  He wouldn't have been the first coach to neglect the position.  Maybe he did ask for better prospects.  I don't know.  I don't follow the workings of the Steelers that closely.  But this whole discussion is proving my point.  Tomlin has had a HOF QB for his entire time and his production is the same as Cowher's.  Tomlin is underachieving.

17 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I'd fire him.

This is the Tony Dungy situation in Tampa all over again. They get close every year, but they can't break through.

The Steelers have arguably the most talented offense in the NFL, and they've only made the AFC Championship game once in six years. 

I'd roll the dice and fire Tomlin and bring in a coach who will update the culture and see if that allows them to break through and once again become perennial Super Bowl contenders. 

They need to go out and find their Jon Gruden to get them over the hump. 

Except he got over the hump and won a Superbowl.

But you know... Let's forget that happened.

They are already perennial Superbowl contenders.

2017 : loss to Jax (bad loss. I'm confident saying that the jags run ends this week in foxboro)

2016: loss to pats in conf champ (who won super bowl)

2015: loss to broncos (who won super bowl)

2014: loss to Ravens (that was when Bell tore his MCL week 17. Ben threw 2 picks that game against Baltimore)

2013: (8-8 missed playoffs)

2012: (8-8 missed playoffs)

2011: lost to Denver on the tebow miracle

I'm not sure that warrants firing.

17 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Except he got over the hump and won a Superbowl.

But you know... Let's forget that happened.

They are already perennial Superbowl contenders.

2017 : loss to Jax (bad loss. I'm confident saying that the jags run ends this week in foxboro)

2016: loss to pats in conf champ (who won super bowl)

2015: loss to broncos (who won super bowl)

2014: loss to Ravens (that was when Bell tore his MCL week 17. Ben threw 2 picks that game against Baltimore)

2013: (8-8 missed playoffs)

2012: (8-8 missed playoffs)

2011: lost to Denver on the tebow miracle

I'm not sure that warrants firing.

I don't think ownership looks at it the same way.

They probably see:

2017 - didn't win Super Bowl

2016 - didn't win Super Bowl

2015 - didn't win Super Bowl

2014 - didn't win Super Bowl 

2013 - didn't win Super Bowl

2012 - didn't win Super Bowl 

2011 - didn't win Super Bowl

2010 - didn't win Super Bowl 

With the talent they've had over the past 8 years, they've under achieved. Too many "bad" playoff losses. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think ownership looks at it the same way.

They probably see:

2017 - didn't win Super Bowl

2016 - didn't win Super Bowl

2015 - didn't win Super Bowl

2014 - didn't win Super Bowl 

2013 - didn't win Super Bowl

2012 - didn't win Super Bowl 

2011 - didn't win Super Bowl

2010 - didn't win Super Bowl 

With the talent they've had over the past 8 years, they've under achieved. Too many "bad" playoff losses. 

Ownership doesn't see it that way and Tomlin is going nowhere. 

The problem with the Steelers is that they have a lot of the central casting football coach type guys in charge. Alpha types who want to prove how tough they are and rant, and yell, and spit and scream.

Did you see the special teams coach before the onside kick? The man looked like a volcano about to erupt. Chomping his gum, spit flying everywhere, running all over the place, jumping around, yelling and screaming at seemingly nobody in particular.

At no point did I think "THAT guy has a solid plan!"

And the onside kick? A total botch, like most Steelers playoff runs.