WNY ratings for National Championship

Kirby Jackson

53 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think Buffalo is crazy about their sports. They don't have a good college team so they don't care as much.

I would think that being crazy about sports though would have them above 2nd last. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were like 35 but to rank below some terrible sports cities is weird to me.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would think that being crazy about sports though would have them above 2nd last. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were like 35 but to rank below some terrible sports cities is weird to me.

I think UB is going to be not only a winning team next year but also an entertaining team. It will be interesting to see if that translates into interest?

When I moved to the south I was shocked at how much people loved their college football. We had no serious teams nearby and just remember hearing the college football scoreboard on Saturdays telling me how Lehigh did. Maybe it’s because we are so VERY deeply invested in the Bills, combined with the lack of a nearby powerhouse program? 

On 1/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think Buffalo is crazy about their sports. They don't have a good college team so they don't care as much.

Absolutely, I enjoy college football a great deal, but I didn’t go out of my way to watch the National Championship game. As a lifelong WNY’er, who cares about Alabama and Georgia? That’s the issue for me. Sports need to have a personal connection for me to care about them. Bills football is important because it is part of my heritage. By association it makes the rest of the NFL matter to me. I want to watch NE because I’d like to see them lose. I enjoy following Pittsburgh because I have family from there (not that I like the Steelers). However, SEC college football has no personal connection to make me care about watching Bama vs Georgia. 

On 1/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, JohnC said:

I think UB is going to be not only a winning team next year but also an entertaining team. It will be interesting to see if that translates into interest?

UB has done a great job building their program. The last thing I want to do is to denigrate what they have done. However, mid major college football simply doesn’t attract fan interest. Attendance numbers are horrible across the MAC. Nothing UB can do will turn Buffalo into a college football town. UB would need to join the a power conference; and compete for titles to persuade the fans of WNY. The MAC lacks appeal to sports fans because they compete for little more than an opportunity to play in a low level bowl game. MAC teams have no chance at national titles. They are like the ugly step children trapped in a sport where they aren’t equals. I believe that this discourages fans from becoming fully enthusiastic about UB. The stage simply isn’t big enough to attract a large fan base. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

On 1/11/2018 at 9:58 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

This.  Many, many college football fans are only fans of their alma mater, not the sport in general.

20 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Not currently living in WNY but i did not watch the NC game either and I am a college football fanatic. However i had NO DESIRE to watch a SEC championship game when their was a 0 Loss team with no shot. 

FIX THE FREAKING PLAYOFF SYSTEM

And this.

They rig it every year in favor of the big name, southeast teams because they want the highest ratings.  But over time that may come  to harm the sport.

p.s.  Congrats to the undefeated national champion UCF Knights.

18 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

This.  Many, many college football fans are only fans of their alma mater, not the sport in general.

And this.

They rig it every year in favor of the big name, southeast teams because they want the highest ratings.  But over time that may come  to harm the sport.

That’s what makes college football so big in the south. You are correct, many northerners are only fans of their alma mater. Bama has an entire state behind them (excluding Auburn fans) who often times aren’t grads. 

5 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

That’s what makes college football so big in the south. You are correct, many northerners are only fans of their alma mater. Bama has an entire state behind them (excluding Auburn fans) who often times aren’t grads. 

Same in the heartland.   We go to our giant parent company's HQ in Des Moines and literally every single cubical has either an Iowa or Iowa State banner hanging in it.

It was a regional game and a lot of people outside of the South are tired of watching Alabama.

I only watched the le batard feed on espn3. Turned out to be a great game, but I certainly wasn't very interested before hand.

You throw ND, Michigan, OSU, or Penn State in their and the ratings will go up. It's not a great college market to begin with, and Alabama vs Georgia certainly doesn't help it in upstate NY.

20 hours ago, KD in CA said:

What is there to fix? Before the post season, the CFB Playoff rankings, the AP rankings, and the coaches poll rankings all had the same 4 teams.

Yes, congrats to the undefeated UCF Participation National Champions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.