How should the Bills address the QB situation, defend your position

Batman1876

Preferred: all in for cousins, use picks to make team better

I'll take it: all in for a top 5 pick (probably darnold, Rosen or Mayfield); start the guy in the fall

Oh God please no: find a placeholder veteran (Smith, keenum, etc), draft a guy with the picks we have, groom him to start in a couple years.

Joe Marino, NFL draft analyst was on WGR and says the Bills are interested in Mason Rudolph.

He says this because he's sat in the same press box with Brandon Beane twice at OSU games.  He said you don't see a guy twice if you're not interested.

He didn't say whether or not they had conversations, just that Beane was in attendance twice.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Joe Marino, NFL draft analyst was on WGR and says the Bills are interested in Mason Rudolph.

He says this because he's sat in the same press box with Brandon Beane twice at OSU games.  He said you don't see a guy twice if you're not interested.

He didn't say whether or not they had conversations, just that Beane was in attendance twice.

One was the bowl game against VT!

I think we have to look at our coach and GM. There are a lot of possibilities out there, but if their tendencies are any indication, I think we can rule some things out. 

1. I don't think there is any way we sign Kirk Cousins. Cutting half the team to sign a soon to be 30 year old quarterback 30 million a year is the opposite of "responsible spending." I don't think hitching their careers on Cousins is going to be seen as a wise move for Beane and McDermott. They have the support of the Pegulas so they have an opportunity to bring in a bridge and draft a young guy. The idea is to have long term stability at the QB spot. Bringing in a guy who is already 30, and really not special doesn't seem to fit that bill. We can easily be outbid by the Browns and the Jets. Both Todd Bowles and Hue Jackson have a short time to turn this thing around to save their careers. I think they go the veteran route. 

2. I can't see this regime drafting Baker Mayfield. He's a playmaker sure, but he just doesn't check many of the "process" boxes for McDermott and Beane. He does have the leadership qualities they talk about, but Beane has consistently emphasized having a guy who can win from inside the pocket. I don't think they are hitching their careers on what he calls a "sandlot" quarterback. I personally think he is going to get physically destroyed at the NFL level. I like Mayfield, I just don't think there is any way they are going to draft him. He is very similar to Tyrod in a lot of ways with size and escapability, though he is less athletic than Tyrod. Mayfield is definitely a better thrower of the football, but he just won't check enough boxes in the process.  That's not even including the arrests and crotch grabbing stuff (which is putting yourself before the team). 

I'm a bit weary on Josh Rosen, but I think he is everything they look for in a quarterback. I think it really depends on how their meetings with Rosen go. You have to get in the room and get to know the kid. Reports about his teammates hating him seem to be false. That said, I feel like their true target is going to be the squeaky clean Darnold. Beane mentioned draft capital, and last year they moved around the board to get the guys they wanted. Trading up for Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins shows that they are willing to be aggressive in their pursuit of their targeted players. I think they make the Browns or Giants an offer they can't refuse. The idea that Beane thinks about draft picks as capital makes me feel feel pretty good about the fact that they are willing to jump all the way up the board.  It has worked for Philly and LA in recent years. We can't settle for the "JP Losman" 4th quarterback off the board. Its Rosen, Darnold, or nothing at all in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What do you think of Rudolph?  Marino said that he believes he's going to be a low end starter like a Chad Henne as far as his projection.

I think his ceiling is probably Joe Flacco, though he gets it done a bit differently. Joe has more arm strength, but Rudolph's is adequate and in a WCO system I think he could see similar success.  I like him in the second half of the first.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What do you think of Rudolph?  Marino said that he believes he's going to be a low end starter like a Chad Henne as far as his projection.

I know this question was posed to someone else, but I hope you don't mind if I reply...

I like Rudolph, IMHO, he checks all the boxes....now to be transparent, I was initially on the fence with him up to November, then as time has gone on and I've watched more of him and taken a look at his stats over the last 3 years, I've become more impressed. FWIW, Mason Rudolph and Baker Mayfield are the ONLY two notable QBs that completely hit the list of Bill Parcells' requirements for a QB. Some believe in it, some don't....what I think Parcells valued was taking care of the ball, passing from the pocket, commanding the Offense and knowing how to audible, and being a good leader....some say Mason's arm isn't "good enough" and I just don't see it....he makes long passes with relative ease and zips the ball in tight windows...his completion percentage has climbed from 63% to 64% to 65%, while he piled up more than 1,200 yards of IMPROVEMENT from his Sophmore year when he started to his Senior year, he continued to add TDs by the bunches from year 1 to year 3 while his INTs remained steady (9,4,9) and he hits the 6'5" mark along with being a Senior and won the Johnny Unitas award....

To me, if the Bills go 1st round pick, and DON'T trade up into the top 5 for Darnold or Rosen (which IMHO I don't think they will and I don't think they should), Mason Rudolph is the guy. When you take Brandon Beane's comments into context from an interview earlier this week where he says they're going to pick their QB they believe is best, regardless of scheme or design by the Offensive Coordinator, AND that it is up to the OC and coaches to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses, Rudolph is the guy. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 2

Sell the farm for Darnold or Rosen.  #21 / #22 / #56 / 2019 1st to move up to 1 or 2 (or 3).

We simply haven't had anyone of their upside in over 2 decades.  Sure, you'll occasionally hit a diamond in the rough, but the vast majority of "franchise" QBs are guys who were picked at the top of the draft.  I would like to see us be aggressive in FA and sign Allen Robinson and one of Tyrell WIlliams / John Brown / Paul Richardson (all guys who can make plays down the field).

That gives us a well rounded receiver group for the rookie:

WR "#1" - Robinson

Big Target - Benjamin

Deep Threat - Williams, Brown or Richardson

Slot- Zay Jones or Thompson

It's a DEEP RB draft class, so use our 3rd or 4th round pick on a guy who can truly compliment Shady and really build some high quality weapons around the rookie QB.

• Like (+1) 1

As much as I like cousins, 4000-4700yds, 81td-35int last 3 full years as a starter, he's gonna be expensive and long term.

He wants job security and $$.

We will be in a bidding war for him with Denver and a few others.

He's gonna be 30.

The best thing that could happen to us is Dever signs him early, taking away one of our draft competitors.

My plan, ideally?

-cut Tyrod. His salary jumps and he's due a big roster bonus. Get rid of him. 

-trade up for Rosen or darnold will be pricey, so I'd weigh the cost as a "game time decision"

-trading into the top 8-12 range would be cheaper and still plenty available (Rudolph, Mayfield, Allen) most likely we'd have our choice of them at that point

-if you can get a sturdy, relatively cheap vet to start ahead of the rookie then do so, but ffs don't sign bridgewater or Bradford. Teddy almost had his leg amputated from his injury, a tib dislocation is one of the worst injuries you can have to the knee, I wouldn't trust him to make it through a season.

33 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

As much as I like cousins, 4000-4700yds, 81td-35int last 3 full years as a starter, he's gonna be expensive and long term.

He wants job security and $$.

We will be in a bidding war for him with Denver and a few others.

He's gonna be 30.

The best thing that could happen to us is Dever signs him early, taking away one of our draft competitors.

My plan, ideally?

-cut Tyrod. His salary jumps and he's due a big roster bonus. Get rid of him. 

-trade up for Rosen or darnold will be pricey, so I'd weigh the cost as a "game time decision"

-trading into the top 8-12 range would be cheaper and still plenty available (Rudolph, Mayfield, Allen) most likely we'd have our choice of them at that point

-if you can get a sturdy, relatively cheap vet to start ahead of the rookie then do so, but ffs don't sign bridgewater or Bradford. Teddy almost had his leg amputated from his injury, a tib dislocation is one of the worst injuries you can have to the knee, I wouldn't trust him to make it through a season.

Does this not make your stomach turn a little bit looking at this?

A guy from my high school died from this injury while skiing.  Apparently the body can go into such deep shock that it can't recover.

Kneedislocation.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2018 at 8:52 PM, Batman1876 said:

Every year (at least at the old board) the forum is flooded with QB threads regarding the draft and free agency. This year in particular there is a ton of options, lots of free agents and draft realevant QBs, and the Bills have clearly indicated a desire to make a change.

So what do you think the team should do at the QB position?

what would it take to get that done?

and what risks do you see involved with it your preference?

If Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield are in their top three and they love one (or all) of them, go all in and get your man.

If one is still available at 3 or 4, then send #21, 22, a second rounder and maybe something else from this year, or 2019 (but not a 1 or a 2 from 2019).  Defend it?  Look, they've had holes for a while.  I'd rather have holes with a "serious" potential franchise QB than more holes filled without him.

Risks?  No one wants to dance because they need a QB or the price is too high...higher than what I have stated above.  If that is the case, do the veteran bridge (Alex Smith) and draft Rudolph or Jackson.

Why I would not get Cousins:  He may be great, but being in the neighborhood of $140 million you better be darn sure as you are not getting rid of him after year two if things don't work out.  This is your guy for at least 4 years.  Rather take my chances for a couple years on a young franchise QB for 5-6 million per year.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Does this not make your stomach turn a little bit looking at this?

A guy from my high school died from this injury while skiing.  Apparently the body can go into such deep shock that it can't recover.

Kneedislocation.jpg

Yeah man.

I'm a orthopedic physical therapist.

Seen the injury once.

That's enough for me.

All the soft tissue damage to the joint capsule, ligaments, vascular structures and cartilage is enough to leave that knee a ticking time bomb.

I would trust Bradford's knees over Bridgewater.

Anybody who says otherwise doesn't really know knee injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KingRex said:

The interesting about this list is that there are so few names on it as the key to winning the SB seems to be have a QB named Tom Brady.

I think that analysis based on this one outcome (winning the SB) os a bit too limited for realistic analysis.  For example, the realistic goal for the Bills this year was merely find a QB capable of getting this team into the playoffs.  Congrats to TT for doing this, but see ya later and don't let the door hit ya on the way out as it is very doubtful you can lead us to the new goal which is to go deep in the playoffs.

If you want your analysis to be relevant to reality, you might expand your universe of QBs to looking for patterns of the 4 QBs who led their team to the conference final..

Is there any consistency in how this pool is acquired?

Seriously? What you're really saying here is "these facts don't fit the narrative I'm trying to push so let me change the question and call it 'realistic'." Feel free to lower your bar if you'd like to, the goal is to win a Superbowl, not get to a conference championship.

• Like (+1) 1

Imo Mcbean’s tenure absolutely depends on finding a Qb that can score more points and sustain more drives(field position).

-we try for already seasoned Qb like Cousins or Keenum. These are more long term answers that would tie up a lot of cash and cap. Especially Cousins! 

Alex Smith or even Eli Manning would be a short term bridge to developing a young Qb.

Im much more in support of these options rather than drafting a Qb and starting him day one. I’m not saying if a good prospect falls to us that we shouldn’t take him , just not burn a lot of picks to do it!!

Use the picks to upgrade the right side of the o-line, linebacker and d-line. I think we should bring in a deep threat wr to help spread the defense more. Drafting a fast ,downhill, one cut rb to compliment Shady would help. 

Imo we get a Qb that can make this team better immediately rather than going all in on a rookie. We drafted Jim Kelly without moving up to the top five to get him. When he finally suited up as a Bill(after USFL)he was a much more seasoned Qb and immediately made his presence felt!!

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Seriously? What you're really saying here is "these facts don't fit the narrative I'm trying to push so let me change the question and call it 'realistic'." Feel free to lower your bar if you'd like to, the goal is to win a Superbowl, not get to a conference championship.

Exactly.

Why do you think the broncos signed Manning on his last legs?

Short term, win now, let's get a Superbowl.

That's the ultimate goal.

To win it all.

Preferably while building a team that competes year in year out for the Superbowl.

38 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

If Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield are in their top three and they love one (or all) of them, go all in and get your man.

If one is still available at 3 or 4, then send #21, 22, a second rounder and maybe something else from this year, or 2019 (but not a 1 or a 2 from 2019).  Defend it?  Look, they've had holes for a while.  I'd rather have holes with a "serious" potential franchise QB than more holes filled without him.

Risks?  No one wants to dance because they need a QB or the price is too high...higher than what I have stated above.  If that is the case, do the veteran bridge (Alex Smith) and draft Rudolph or Jackson.

Why I would not get Cousins:  He may be great, but being in the neighborhood of $140 million you better be darn sure as you are not getting rid of him after year two if things don't work out.  This is your guy for at least 4 years.  Rather take my chances for a couple years on a young franchise QB for 5-6 million per year.

Yep.  In a way, we are really talking about giving up a 1st next year to get one of the top evaluated guys, if they got Tre White with pick #10 last year and he did what he did, we'd all be happy and they weren't going to resign Sammy, so getting a 2nd for him (plus Gaines) is bonus too.  If the Browns / Giants / Colts aren't taking a QB with their pick, I think they would be crazy to not put the pick up for auction.  Then it would come down to our extra picks being enough to overcome one of the top 3 just dropping to ~6th.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Yep.  In a way, we are really talking about giving up a 1st next year to get one of the top evaluated guys, if they got Tre White with pick #10 last year and he did what he did, we'd all be happy and they weren't going to resign Sammy, so getting a 2nd for him (plus Gaines) is bonus too.  If the Browns / Giants / Colts aren't taking a QB with their pick, I think they would be crazy to not put the pick up for auction.  Then it would come down to our extra picks being enough to overcome one of the top 3 just dropping to ~6th.

Indeed, Chuck.

Ya know what else?  We have been horrrrrrrrrible at keeping our own guys, or wanting them to stay on our team.  Don't get me wrong, I want us to sign and keep our guys for stability.

However, I am just not going to have "filling the many holes" be the deciding factor when it comes down to whether or not we should go after a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Indeed, Chuck.

Ya know what else?  We have been horrrrrrrrrible at keeping our own guys, or wanting them to stay on our team.  Don't get me wrong, I want us to sign and keep our guys for stability.

However, I am just not going to have "filling the many holes" be the deciding factor when it comes down to whether or not we should go after a franchise QB.

EVERY team has holes.  The Patriots are the best team in football and they have a terrible D.  The key is to be excellent in one area (going to get you to ~9 wins a year), but still able to adapt if you run up against a team that can take that area away. (the difference in 12-13 win teams).

My primary concern with a young QB is the skill talent we have on hand.  I just don't believe our receiving core as it stands it good enough to allow a young QB to successfully develop and if Shady does get hurt our offense is an absolute mess.  Look at Goff and Wentz, Goff looked like a flat out bust while Wentz looked like he hit a rookie wall and was figured out halfway through the season.  The Rams addressed coaching, offensive line and their receiver group and Goff took off, the Eagles also invested heavily in their receiver group and running backs, got Lane Johnson back healthy and Wentz was on his way to a MVP season before he was hurt.  Trubisky is in a similar situation now, no skill talent outside of Howard / Cohen, you had better believe the Bears are going to address that on several levels this offseason.

Having a QB on a rookie deal does allow you luxuries at other positions on the field with cap spending.  Infrastructure is extremely important at the position and outside of the time under Rex, I'm not convinced our offensive talent has been good enough to allow a QB to develop over the last 2 decades.  Our supporting offensive talent is not at a level that's going to allow any QB we can acquire to come in and be a dynamic difference maker, that needs to be addressed.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Fire Dennison - Done

2. Keep TT

3. Draft a QB in top two rounds but do not trade up more than a few picks

4. Release Peterman at the end of training camp

16 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

None of those guys are worth more than one first round pick.  What you are suggesting is career suicide for Beane

Keep TT and draft someone high. 

TT is not a long term option, but he is definitely capable of scoring more than what happened in the second half of the season.    I put a lot of the blame for this year on a very depleted receiving group(Benjamin was an upgrade but essentially playing on one leg for most of his time here), a painfully conservative offensive system and starting the wrong linemen in some cases.   Taylor was putting more points on the boards under a different system.  Unless we get Alex Smith or Garoppolo, I don't see any available veteran that we can count on to do more than Taylor.  Cousins in my opinion is not good enough to justify the cost.  Bradford is a china doll.  Bridgewater is a big question mark after the injury.  Keenum is a slightly better version of Orton. 

Draft a QB-This is easy to defend.   We eventually need a franchise quarterback and Taylor is not it.   The draft is the best chance to do that.   With a deeper than normal QB class and a high amount of early picks, it is now or never.