After QB, what's next? Top 5 player needs.

GreggTX

I list our needs as follows in terms of priority.

1. QB --  We all know what having a great QB means to the W's column.

2. DT --  If we could hold other teams to under 3.7 yd/att we'd cut the points against way down. More 3rd and longs!

3. WR -- But not just any WR. We need a guy with great speed to keep other teams from loading the box. We missed Sammy, but he was always hurt. Thompson is fast, but we need someone better.

4. LB --  I know Preston had a ton of tackles, but he's just not that good. Lo was very ordinary in '17 and is 34. Milano has made steady progress, though. Ours is a very LB friendly scheme.

5. Edge Rusher -- Need I explain?

Other needs: OL Interior, punter, #2 CB or #3.

PS -- We don't HAVE to be run first if we have a great QB. Just sayin'.

Edited by GreggTX

12 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

2. DT --  If we could hold other teams to under 3.7 yd/att we'd cut the points against way down. More 3rd and longs!

3. WR -- But not just any WR. We need a guy with great speed to keep other teams from loading the box. We missed Sammy, but he was always hurt. Thompson is fast, but we need someone better.

4. LB --  I know Preston had a ton of tackles, but he's just not that good. Lo was very ordinary in '17 and is 34. Milano has made steady progress, though. Ours is a very LB friendly scheme.

5. Edge Rusher -- Need I explain.

BPA

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Pass rush was embarrassingly awful this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hughes is traded/let go. I’d put that at number 2 need. The good news is we have a good number of picks in first half of the draft

I'm not so down on Hughes. It's tough being the ONLY guy on the D that can pass rush. You tend to draw extra attention that way. He actually played fairly well IMO. Let's unload Shaq. He's overpaid and seriously underperforming. It would be very easy to find an upgrade at LDE. VERY easy.

Edited by GreggTX

36 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

1 - QB

2 - Edge Rusher

3 - DT

4 - OT

5 - LB

I absolutely know we need receivers but if we have to make do in 2018 with Benjamin, Zay and a couple of lower end FAs then so be it. I feel like the 2019 draft is where I would invest high at the position..... start with the QB and the trenches. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1 - QB

2 - Edge Rusher

3 - DT

4 - OT

5 - LB

I absolutely know we need receivers but if we have to make do in 2018 with Benjamin, Zay and a couple of lower end FAs then so be it. I feel like the 2019 draft is where I would invest high at the position..... start with the QB and the trenches. 

I could see the Bills going OT and bumping Glenn or Dawkins inside. I think Glenn could return to probowl level if his foot is 100% and I think Dawkins made solid progress and will only get better.

14 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'm not so down on Hughes. It's tough being the ONLY guy on the D that can pass rush. You tend to draw extra attention that way. He actually played fairly well IMO. Let's unload Shaq. He's overpaid and seriously underperforming. It would be very easy to find an upgrade at LDE. VERY easy.

Shaq is on a rookie contract. Hughes is the one making the big bucks

7 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I could see the Bills going OT and bumping Glenn or Dawkins inside. I think Glenn could return to probowl level if his foot is 100% and I think Dawkins made solid progress and will only get better.

Yea so could I.  I think if they keep Glenn then Glenn and Dawkins being LT and LG next year is a more likely outcome than then being LT and RT.  You could bump Richie who is on the final year of his deal to the RG spot and then you have a pretty solid powerful 4, particularly in run blocking and you need to find a RT from somewhere because Mills is a FA.  

However, I think they likely try and deal Cordy.... which would leave you with only Dawkins and Conor McDermott (who I do think they will give a chance to compete for RT in the summer) given that Mills is a FA so bringing another person who is more than just a camp body in whether through FA or a pretty high draft selection is a must for me.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Shaq is on a rookie contract. Hughes is the one making the big bucks

True, but Hughes  >> Shaq IMO. Let's hope we get 1 or 2 solid pass rushers to compliment Hughes  and watch him return to double digits.

I honestly think we need interior DLmen.  Kyle W. is getting very long in the tooth and we need dominators on that interior.  That will free up our DEs from having to fight through so much traffic to make a tackle.  If they have to double team a DT the end has better opportunities.

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I agree wirh many points except punter. Keep in mind many games are played in lousy Weather- 8 in New Era, 1 in Foxborough, and one in the Meadowlands. Obviously, all games aren’t bad weather but chances are 5-6 are. Here is his stats below- pretty decent and not a glaring need imo.

http://www.nfl.com/player/coltonschmidt/2542246/careerstats

1. QB - obviously....this Marrone-ism just happens to apply here

2. LB - need both ILB and OLB, so based on the measure of need across the field, this one is #2 to me - and an ILB that can run the Defense a QB of the D per se

3. DT - no one needs an explanation here

4. Offensive Line - short of Dawkins, I think it needs a total overhaul

5. WR - again I don't think it needs an explanation, but keep in mind - KB and Zay are already on the team for next year, technically making this a low tier issue

And, to me RB and CB are both sneaky type needs for the Bills. RB because I don't think Shady returns unless there's less money involved, plus he's a good chip to trade which I think Beane likes. Also, CB is painfully obvious that the Bills need a good CB opposite Tre and depth. 

The bigger question will be HOW the Bills go about handling these needs, not to mention the normal depth issues. The current FA list, which will change drastically by the time FA actually begins since teams will start signing their own players, ala Devonte Adams in GB, is stronger for the OLB position than it is ILB position which means either we need to trade for an ILB (which I doubt) or we have to Draft one, which makes the most sense. I'm very interested to see how Beane and his team approach the Off-season. This is the first time in a long time the Bills have so much Draft capital, decent amount of FA money and that's BEFORE any trades or cuts which could make the available pool of money even deeper. 

I suspect we see more value FAs that some of us scratch our heads only to see them do well - see, Poyer and Hyde. 

• Like (+1) 1

DT -- Can't count on Williams next year and no one else is of starting caliber

OG/OT - we need one of each.  As someone else said, we could go Tackle and move Glenn, if he is ever healthy, to guard.  We still need a Mills replacement

QB - Taylor is not the answer, I really wanted him to be, but he's not.  I would like to acquire Alex Smith, if he becomes available.  He'd fit this offense.  

LB - We're getting old there.  Alexander was re-born in the playoff game, but he was sub-standard most of the year.  

WR - Need some speed, but more than that someone who can get open.