Crazy EJ Gaines stat

36 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

The Bills always do that though. It's the vicious cycle of letting good players go and then drafting the same position.

I hope they can sign Gaines personally. I know he is injury prone, but the guy can flat out play

Thats every team though- rosters turnover so fast in the nfl. You just have to pick the right cornerstones and back fill as well as possible 

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Worked out great letting Gilmore walk and drafting White, wouldn't you say?

Yes, until you're spending a 1st round pick every few years replacing the same position. When we let Tre White go and spend another 1st on a CB, are we going to still consider it a win just because the next guy steps up? 

We also let our 2nd rounder in Darby go. Lots of wasted picks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Yes, until you're spending a 1st round pick every few years replacing the same position. When we let Tre White go and spend another 1st on a CB, are we going to still consider it a win just because the next guy steps up? 

We also let our 2nd rounder in Darby go. Lots of wasted picks.

Draft picks from the previous regime.  Those aren't their guys and they didn't value them as high as other teams.

With that said, what is abundantly clear is that we need continuity and competency with our front office, and that will solve the "wasted picks" mess over the years.

49 minutes ago, Doc said:

Worked out great letting Gilmore walk and drafting White, wouldn't you say?

Yep looks that way. Not saying it doesn’t work every time.

But you need to identify and re sign your key players. I would say Gilmore was not a key player, especially considering he’s a cover corner opposed to zone.

If Mcbean and Mcd think Gaines is a key player to this defence, pay the man the money.

You can’t just keep letting your good players go and spend first round draft picks on the same position hoping they will be as good/better 

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Thats every team though- rosters turnover so fast in the nfl. You just have to pick the right cornerstones and back fill as well as possible 

For sure. I’m just saying if Mcd and Mcbean think Gaines is a good player to the defence, you have to re sign him. 

Cant  let him walk just because he’s a free agent 

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills need to resign Gaines unless he is commanding crazy money. I think the Bills could go as high as a 6 million dollar per year average, that would rank him 27th at his position in terms of annual average. I think anything more than that isn't smart since he has trouble staying on the field. 

I like Gaines and think he is worth resigning, but if we don't I know the secondary will be fine. That seems to be McDermott's specialty. He'll be able to bring in bargain players to keep the unit sound. He did it in Carolina as well.

I doubt we'll ever sign guys to huge contracts in the secondary because McDermott thinks he can make do without the big money guys.

8 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

The reason that stat is good is because when he is there we have two decent CBs, without him we have one.  If we draft another solid CB we will be fine not resigning him.  I really like EJ but he needs to stay healthy.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you never took any basic stat classes or statistical analysis classes in any field.

Not that they are necessary, but no one who ever has would say that stat is good.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I like Gaines and think he is worth resigning, but if we don't I know the secondary will be fine. That seems to be McDermott's specialty. He'll be able to bring in bargain players to keep the unit sound. He did it in Carolina as well.

I doubt we'll ever sign guys to huge contracts in the secondary because McDermott thinks he can make do without the big money guys.

You mean like he did in Carolina last year after they let Norman walk? 

But you're right, they were sound. He doesn't need players, it's not like they gave up 300 yards to one receiver.

I think a deal should be get done.  5 for 40 seems in line.  20 in guarantees.  They don't have to pay White for 3 more years.  Spending 11 million for your two corners for the next 3 years seems like a good deal.  Drafting another corner on day two of the draft works as well. You play three an awful lot plus corners get nicked up and miss time it is a tough position to play.    

7 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You mean like he did in Carolina last year after they let Norman walk? 

But you're right, they were sound. He doesn't need players, it's not like they gave up 300 yards to one receiver.

Yes, I do mean. Their secondary was solid considering the no name players they had. And he did the same thing here this year. Nobody thought Gaines was good, or Poyer, and everyone thought the secondary would be a big problem.