The bills 1st superbowl in the 90s vs this weeks playoff game

Steptide

When the bills went to their first superbowl in the 90s, I was only 10 years old. I remember it well, but as a 10 year old I wasn't die hard like I am now. 

For the older generation here, how did that compare to what we've seen the last few days? I know the times are much different with social media and cell phone cameras everywhere, so we get to see alot more than we did back then. But as far as the feeling and fan reaction, I'm curious. 

Side note, I know comparing a wild card to a superbowl is night and day. 

Edited by Steptide

No comparison. I remember walking around the upper deck during the 2nd half of the Raiders game. Strangers were hugging saying "I don't believe it, we're going to the Super Bowl." Sunday was epic. That day in OP was once in a lifetime. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There is NO comparison. Not even close. 

Absolutely no comparison is right!

That first Super Bowl... all the years of fan-misery leading up to it (you want bad seasons, look back at the old 2-12 and 2-14 seasons). This is wonderful, but social media highlights things these days instantly. If we went to the Super Bowl again, I can't even imagine the magnitude of #BillsMafia on all social media platforms.

That first Super Bowl was magic, and I thought we were destined to win. Little did I know... 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
missed a plural on seasons
  • Like (+1) 2

More similarity to the 1980 team.  That year we finally beat Miami to breat that streak.  The fans stormed the field to tear down the goalpost.  We went to the playoffs after a seven year drought.  The fans stood in the cold and met the team at the airport.  Joe Ferguson played in the playoff game on a broken ankle.  Part of what created his legend.   Maybe Shady?

The first Super Bowl was that feeling multiplied.  The response from our fans is unmatched.  The gathering to support our first Super Bowl loss,  the greetings at the airport, tearing down goalpost( happened more than once), the donation to Andy Dalton’s foundation,  no other fan base would do this.  Although newer generation, things have not changed.   Thanks to all for your passion.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

When the bills went to their first superbowl in the 90s, I was only 10 years old. I remember it well, but as a 10 year old I wasn't die hard like I am now. 

For the older generation here, how did that compare to what we've seen the last few days? I know the times are much different with social media and cell phone cameras everywhere, so we get to see alot more than we did back then. But as far as the feeling and fan reaction, I'm curious. 

Side note, I know comparing a wild card to a superbowl is night and day. 

What the  younger generation may not be as familiar with are the two years before the Super Bowl run. The Harmon drop against Cleveland was excruciating, but those teams had Kelly, Bruce and others and you could see it coming. 

This is different. Been a fan since , um, well you know. Teams were bad much more than they were good and sometimes God-awful. But we'd make the playoffs every so often. The 17 year drought was epic, I have all the respect in the world for everyone here who has stuck through it without a taste of the playoffs. Hard core! 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Absolutely no comparison is right!

That first Super Bowl... all the years of fan-misery leading up to it (you want bad seasons, look back at the old 2-12 and 2-14 seasons). This is wonderful, but social media highlights things these days instantly. If we went to the Super Bowl again, I can't even imagine the magnitude of #BillsMafia on all social media platforms.

That first Super Bowl was magic, and I thought we were destined to win. Little did I know... 

If the Bills make it to the Super Bowl again....it would be one of the largest gatherings of people in world history.

I think the Cubs World Series Celebration was something 7th of all time.  I think the Bills fans would compete with that.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

What the  younger generation may not be as familiar with are the two years before the Super Bowl run. The Harmon drop against Cleveland was excruciating, but those teams had Kelly, Bruce and others and you could see it coming. 

This is different. Been a fan since , um, well you know. Teams were bad much more than they were good and sometimes God-awful. But we'd make the playoffs every so often. The 17 year drought was epic, I have all the respect in the world for everyone here who has stuck through it without a taste of the playoffs. Hard core! 

What some forget is that the Bills almost made it to SIX straight Super Bowls.  The Harmon drop of course, but the very next year they were in the AFC Championship Game against a not so great Bengals team.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

What some forget is that the Bills almost made it to SIX straight Super Bowls.  The Harmon drop of course, but the very next year they were in the AFC Championship Game against a not so great Bengals team.

I listened to that on the radio in the car coming back from my grandfathers funeral. As I recall they were in the game but there were some late penalties (Bruce with an unsportsmanlike?). Those were the two years I was referring to, but I think you have the years backwards.