It is really snowing in Erie

Punching Bag

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yeah, that is the bad part... that stuff ain't melting.  The good part is maybe Lake Erie will freeze over soon ending the crazy snowmaking machine.

Isnt it too cold to snow heavily this week??!

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Isnt it too cold to snow heavily this week??!

Wind picks up moisture from the warm lake water.  When the warm moist air gets inland it cools and falls back to land as snow

The warm lake water is driving the snowfall, not the cold air temp

Noon news says Airport officially reopened :w00t:

Doesn't necessarily mean the airlines will operate on schedule but I can only hope at this point

Weather cams show the shallow water off Presque Isle are starting to freeze.  

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Wind picks up moisture from the warm lake water.  When the warm moist air gets inland it cools and falls back to land as snow

The warm lake water is driving the snowfall, not the cold air temp

Kinda. I always was under inpression that the cold blast over warm lake put the snow machine on steroids.  So it is the cold at first that matters.  But eventually the cold will freeze the Lake and shut machine off.

So, I think it is both.  Need the cold temp moving over the fetch of a "warm" body of water.

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Reduced speed to 45 and some stretches are down to a single plowed lane.

Yuck... Not sure what I will do.  I save the tolls going through the NOT so Great White North... Windward side of Lake.  But it does knock time.  But if it is slow go, gonna lose time anyway.

This may be a game time decision... I look to the Donner Party to give me guidance! <_<

Saw a facebook posting from someone I knowwho is driving to Orlando. They left yesterday morning and posted a picture from the Thruway near the state line . Lot odf snow bit they didn't post anything about being stuck there.They live in Colden and were leaving 2.5 feet of snow.

Edited by Wacka

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Yup

living a mile north of Lake Ontario has a moderating effect on the weather around me

But don't you get it from the west out of Lake Huron, Georgian Bay... Or are you too far away (Assuming Toronto).

This is why Chicago is where it is.  We only average 35 inches a year on this side of Lake and greatest yearly snowfall was about 81" in 1978.   Chicago never had a 24 hour snowfall over 21"

Just don't get mega snows windward of the Lake like the alee sides do.  But when we do, it's like snow on steriods... Too many people, 10 million from WI to IN, and flat as hell...

7 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Saw a facebook posting from someone I knowwho is driving to Orlando. They left yesterday morning and posted a picture from the Thruway near the state line . Lot odf snow bit they didn't post anything about being stuck there.

Thanx.  It's either Canuckland or blasting on through... No way am I tacking around through inner Pennsyltucky... I hear everone looks like Cletus & Boyst and they like purdy mouths... 

...I will take my chances at the Sarnia border crossing. :P

Cold here in Cheektowaga 4degrees with -5 wind chill but we had only about 2-3 inches since Saturday. The wind finally died down.  Am in the warm house today.

My mom (91)  slipped and hit her side on the dining room table on Xmas night. Took her to the ER yesterday. No broken ribs, just bruises.  Am staying home to help her today.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

I’m in downtown Toronto, a few miles west of Yonge, it’s always a few degrees nicer than a few miles further from the lake all thru the year.

rhe snowbelt rule of thumb is Highway 401, you get the worst on it and just north of it for Southern Ontario

FWIW... Detroit probably has the most "tempered" micro-climate around the Lakes.

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I’m in downtown Toronto, a few miles west of Yonge, it’s always a few degrees nicer than a few miles further from the lake all thru the year.

rhe snowbelt rule of thumb is Highway 401, you get the worst on it and just north of it for Southern Ontario

But that has to be like here on Lake Michigan... How often does a cold wind blow over Lake Ontario from the east-northeast?  Unless you pick up bands from Lake Huron???

Lake Ontario usually has a hard time freezing... Small surface area, deep with temp inversions, west-east orientation... It would seem Toronto would get it from Lake Ontario later in season? 

59 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Cold here in Cheektowaga 4degrees with -5 wind chill but we had only about 2-3 inches since Saturday. The wind finally died down.  Am in the warm house today.

My mom (91)  slipped and hit her side on the dining room table on Xmas night. Took her to the ER yesterday. No broken ribs, just bruises.  Am staying home to help her today.

Sounds like your mom got lucky,glad you're keeping her inside.Looks like south of West Seneca is where the band started..like you said,just a few inches for us in crabapple town....we got lucky

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Sounds like your mom got lucky,glad you're keeping her inside.Looks like south of West Seneca is where the band started..like you said,just a few inches for us in crabapple town....we got lucky

That's where my father lives where I grew up.  I mentioned Roz's Pizza in "Pizza Thread"... Almost right by there off of French.  We came in right after Snovember... 7' of snow. Thought I was going to have to park off of French and shoe in. They were clearing the street with a front loader just hours before we made it it.  Brother had half of my father's driveway done.  His vehicles still buried.  Worked out well, went home through Detroit and caught Bills-Jets game for free on Monday!

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's where my father lives where I grew up.  I mentioned Roz's Pizza in "Pizza Thread"... Almost right by there off of French.  We came in right after Snovember... 7' of snow. Thought I was going to have to park off of French and shoe in. They were clearing the street with a front loader just hours before we made it it.  Brother had half of my father's driveway done.  His vehicles still buried.  Worked out well, went home through Detroit and caught Bills-Jets game for free on Monday!

Yes sir..Kelly Park,Southline Fire Dpt.,Towers. Did you hear about the Garden Village shooting that happened a few months ago?p.s.-I live off of Como Park Blvd (near Borden)......right on the LES line..usually as you go deeper south of Walden the snow totals get higher.Did you go to East or West?

13 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Yes sir..Kelly Park,Southline Fire Dpt.,Towers. Did you hear about the Garden Village shooting that happened a few months ago?p.s.-I live off of Como Park Blvd (near Borden)......right on the LES line..usually as you go deeper south of Walden the snow totals get higher.Did you go to East or West?

West.  But the street that I grew up on goes East now.

Didn't hear about shooting!

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I was living in Rochester for about a year when they got (at least at that time) record snowfall.

I want to say it was February 1999.  We got 24" of snow in 24 hours.

That was the most snow I've seen, and I grew up in Buffalo! 

I’m not disputing your post but I’ve lived through at least 2 between 1965 and 1980.   

2 feet is only a storm.  

It took 3 feet to cancel schools.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

Had a college trip to Toronto one weekend and it was supposed to be a one night trip and a terrible snowfall came in preventing bus from returning to UB although Toronto proper was okay.  Fortunately out trip leader had a connection with hotel and their rooms were under booked so he made arrangement for a night lodging (rooms split) at a deep discount.  My roommate spent entire night in girlfriend's room so I had a private room despite my hints to my roommate that if he wanted privacy he should convince his girlfriend to send her roommate to our room but no luck.  Spent most of my time at night in Toronto and surprised my roommate late at night when I came back with he and his girlfriend doing the limbo in our room.  Evidently they were too noisy for her roommate.

Thanks Limeaid, good story.  Yes, downtown can be fine and it’s horrible 10 miles away.

had a few football weekends to Columbus and back thru Cleveland, with Ohio under blizzard but WNY was bone dry fortunately.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I’m not disputing your post but I’ve lived through at least 2 between 65 and 80.   

2 feet is only a storm.  

You mean at least 2 different days or 24 hour periods of time in which you got between 65" and 80" of snow during that time period? 

Is that even possible?!   :lol:

Had to be Watertown!   Snow capital of the universe.

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You mean at least 2 different days or 24 hour periods of time in which you got between 65" and 80" of snow during that time period? 

My bad.  Those were the years 

late 60’s I remember blizzards that covered the side door of the house.

The others were in the late ‘70s I  think.  

Once there was 3 feet on Christmas Eve.  

All in Rochester.  ^

Snowmangeddon in Loudon County VA had 2 storms 2 or 3 days apart with over 2 feet each storm.  

I have a lot of relatives in Watertown 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Drove I-90 past there a few hours ago - didn’t look like there was 5 feet on the ground by the highway, but was a scenic drive with all the snow in the trees

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Truckee probably see more... :P

We went to Squaw Valley in 2015 after the Snovember Game.  The Sierras were getting pounded, Pineapple Express after express... So we are on the shuttle back to Squaw from Alpine Meadows and a guy hears my son and I talking... He askes me if "I was Canadian" because of my "accent"... I bust out laughing saying I grew up in BFLo and lived in Illinois/Iowa for almost 30 years...  :lol:

Anyway, driver chimed in when we start talking snow... I mean it's dumping in Squaw and through The Pass... Shuttle bus is all chained up and thumping down the road... Driver says:  "Yeah, we up here were all Jonsing with Buffalo when you got that 7 feet of snow... Boy were we impressed, and we are used to some really big snows!"  

:lol:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/37149989/erie-lake-effect-snow-storm-records-totals-released

8 hours ago, stevewin said:

Drove I-90 past there a few hours ago - didn’t look like there was 5 feet on the ground by the highway, but was a scenic drive with all the snow in the trees

The heavy snow fell north of I90 along the lake shore.

18 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I’m not disputing your post but I’ve lived through at least 2 between 1965 and 1980.   

2 feet is only a storm.  

lol here they cancel school if it rains a little too hard.

• Like (+1) 1