Is it our Trainers or our Weather? Or both?

jtothebrown

I was listening to some comments made by Nickel Robey - Coleman about Sammy Watkins physical conditioning this year being pretty much healthy all year and how L.A's medical staff/trainers are the reason why?

It always seems to be the same type of injuries to the Hammy or groin issue. There are several  former BB players that seem to have had stayed healthy all season  this year, but seemed to have had chronic health issues when they played for us

Is  our trainers/ medical staff that is incompetent or is weather that keeps these injuries around longer than normal?

5 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

I was listening to some comments made by Nickel Robey - Coleman about Sammy Watkins physical conditioning this year being pretty much healthy all year and how L.A's medical staff/trainers are the reason why?

It always seems to be the same type of injuries to the Hammy or groin issue. There are several  former BB players that seem to have had stayed healthy all season  this year, but seemed to have had chronic health issues when they played for us

Is  our trainers/ medical staff that is incompetent or is weather that keeps these injuries around longer than normal?

I doubt that it's either reason. Most teams have injuries, it's the nature of the game. I was a big fan of Nickel Robey, but not sure that he's an expert in the field. I think the expectation for Sammy was that he was healthy during camp and was expected to be 100% when the season started. That's held true.

Gaines, Poyer, Glenn, Benjamin, Clay... all missed time, none of which were hammy or groin issues.  I think one of Gaines injuries was his hamstring, but he has so many injuries it's hard to keep track.

38 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

Yes, definitely the weather. Being in the warm weather of LA has created more blood flow in Sammy's glass foot & has allowed him to heal 100%.

Or it could be how much he is used.  In buffalo he averaged 7.46 targets per game and in LA it is 5 per game.  So that's more chances to get hurt.  Accuracy of passes could also contribute.  I am not sure if it is the case, but if a receiver has to twist, slow down or the pass puts the, in a position to get hit harder, then more injuries can happen.

The Bills training staff has to be the biggest factor. Injuries happen but it seems like a good year for the Bills injury wise is a somewhat bad year for most teams. I hope McD guts the trainers completely and hires a new staff. 

1 hour ago, bmacdona said:

Or it could be how much he is used.  In buffalo he averaged 7.46 targets per game and in LA it is 5 per game.  So that's more chances to get hurt.  Accuracy of passes could also contribute.  I am not sure if it is the case, but if a receiver has to twist, slow down or the pass puts the, in a position to get hit harder, then more injuries can happen.

Sammy is also on a contract year and went into the season 8 months removed from surgery. I think the circumstances just lined up. EJ Gaines had issues staying healthy in LA and he has been banged up this season. I think you have to look at the totality of the team's injury history the past 10 years and I think the Bills don't look favorably. 

Edited by billsfan89

3 hours ago, jtothebrown said:

I think the biggest reason for Sammy being healthy all season was simply the fact that this is a contract year for him, so he played through all the nicks and bruises that in the past years he'd sit out for.  Contract years always seem to improve players health.

The field could be part of the reason for more injury issues but I think the training staff is part of it;  the Bills have been thru multiple coaching changes since Rusty Jones was "kicked upstairs" against his will and then left to Bears.  Bills health went down year he was upstairs and Bears health improved when he went to Chicago.

Depending on how much players buy into Coach McD's system I could see health improving next year but some players will always be dinged up.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think the biggest reason for Sammy being healthy all season was simply the fact that this is a contract year for him, so he played through all the nicks and bruises that in the past years he'd sit out for.  Contract years always seem to improve players health.

Watkins missed about 3 games in 2 seasons before the foot issues that cost him most of 2016. Played through numerous nicks and bruises ( ribs, groin etc). So this doesn't hold water. 

I am a firm believer that high quality quarterback play prevents people from getting hurt everything is much more faster in Rhythm better timing more efficiency receivers catching passes in stride with nobody around them Etc I believe it's a huge contributor to why Bills players have been hurt

Also not having a great quarterback mean just a lot of times your team is playing from behind which means the other team is running the ball lot which means it's so much more physical game it affects everything

16 hours ago, jtothebrown said:

I dunno...its just inconsistent from year to year...in 2013 or 2014 the Bills had barely any injuries and their training staff won the best training staff award.  This year they havent really gotten hit with many pulls/soft tissue injuries at all...