Does the Miami rivalry still matter?

SDS

Does the Miami rivalry still matter?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Miami rivalry still matter?

• Yes
    • No

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, K-9 said:

Need to have four teams in each division for best symmetry. But if we were to move, the league should just have Buffalo and Baltimore swap divisions. Makes sense logistically, but I would miss our traditional AFL rivalries.

I would make sense to have Buffalo, Steelers, Bengals, Browns in a division the proximity would make those easier for fans to travel too and also heated rivalries. Miami is like going to a completely other world from Buffalo which I think added fuel to the fire. While the Dolphins fans are sitting on south beach Bills are shoveling snow. 

I go all the way back to when Miami entered the AFL in ‘66, through the winless ‘70’s to our dominance in the late 80’s/90’s. So of course the hatred was real.

Regardless of the recent status of both teams being whipping boys for the Pats*, the rivalry died when the League reshuffled and made 8 Divisions. When HALF the schedule was inter-divisional, so much more was placed on forming a team to compete with them specifically. Now, a team can go winless in their Division yet win it with an overall better W/L record. 

It will if the Bills lose to them on Sunday and the other things they needed to happen to make the playoffs transpire. Talk about another epic failure.

Either way, I don't believe this rivalry has the same luster it did during the Kelly and Marino days. But it could certainly heat up again in the coming years because the Dolphins should have a very good team for years to come with Gase/Tannenbaum. So if Beane/McD can match that success should be a lot of gritty battles for the division assuming the Patriots ever go away.

Of course it matters, they are in our division, but does it matter any more than the Jets? Nope.

Every team in the division is a rivalry game, by definition. Any team you play regularly is technically a "rivalry game". I don't get any more satisfaction from wins against MIami, than against the Jets right now, and if we beat the Pats it would be way more gratifying