John Murphy Scolds Bills Fans For Being "Negative"

BuffaloRush

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't listen to it, but I suspect I know what they're talking about.  I've been noticing it around here for a couple of weeks.   

Generalizing, of course, but I think a lot of fans assume it's impossible to beat the Patriots.   I've felt that way for a while, but I think that's not the way the coaches and players think about it. 

It goes to the point McD, the Bills players and frankly most other coaches and players make all the time:  all they're thinking about is the next game.   And it's just a football game.   It's the same game we played in high school.   The outcome of most games is NOT determined in advance.   Sure, in high school and in college there are a few games on your schedule where you're clearly out matched, where you're lambs being led to slaughter.  But in the NFL, where the talent is pretty much equal across the board, "on any given Sunday" really is the rule.   Most of the teams can win any game on their schedule. 

That doesn't mean that one team shouldn't be favored over another, because there are better and worse teams.   But it does mean that the outcome of most games isn't such a sure thing as a lot of fans assume.  

Bills-Pats will be a three-hour battle, the same game we played in high school, except better players and better coaches.  Pats are favored, but it's foolish to assume that we can mail in the result.   Pats are well coached, but so are the Bills.  And the Bills are as motivated as any Bills team playing in Foxboro for the past 20 seasons.   This is a big game, and the outcome is not pre-determined. 

I think there's more pessimism about this game than is merited. 

Keep telling yourself this.   Over and over.   We'll see you at 4:30 Sunday.    Personally , I have other things to do than to wreck Christmas eve watching another Pats beatdown.

It is impossible to beat the Patriots right now.   2017.    

8 hours ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Have another one.

No. At some point people need to get over the past and understand this team is different.

4 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

Keep telling yourself this.   Over and over.   We'll see you at 4:30 Sunday.    Personally , I have other things to do than to wreck Christmas eve watching another Pats beatdown.

It is impossible to beat the Patriots right now.   2017.    

No, it's really not. They lost to a lousy Miami squad. They're beatable, and it's time to get the monkey off the back.

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe they shouldn’t make it so hard to be positive?

Thats the issue.  They are trying to bow but many are still negative. Strides are being made. Small as they are they are still strides. We get a qb and we are dangerous. 

I enjoy the JMS

I feel like the reason people are not more positive about this team sitting at 8-6 with two to play is because when they look at the roster they see an old team that is really a 1 year squad.  McDermott and Beane did a lot of surgery to this roster last offseason and during the year even.... but they haven't yet got their roster that they are going to go forward with and there will be a lot more change this offseason.  I don't feel like it's okay if this squad misses the postseason this year because I don' t think it's a case of the window is open and we will be back in 2018!

That said I still retain faith in McDermott (and consequently Beane because I absolutely believe they are totally aligned).  It just feels to me still like this was a bit of a middling it year this year and they kind of need to decide next year whether they stay on that path or whether they accept 2018 could be a take your lumps year as they get the guys they use their draft capital on this spring on the field early and often next season.  

10 hours ago, RobH063 said:

John Murphy and Donald Jones are employed by the Bills. They will always be upbeat. The rest of the fan base can react any way they want. They've earned that right!

I would be a Bills homer too if they paid me.

34 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

No. At some point people need to get over the past and understand this team is different.

No, it's really not. They lost to a lousy Miami squad. They're beatable, and it's time to get the monkey off the back.

They have lost to a lot of lousy miami squads and still went on to the Superbowl.

Edited by Chris66

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Did you hear the clip - he actually makes reference to that.  He says I wonder if the fans in Los Angeles started calling the team "Ramsy"

Asking as if he can't understand what this means, or why fans would consider the freakishly Greek tragic ways the Bills lose all these important games, with different players and different coaches is awfully tone deaf.

It's not that listeners aren't aware of the fact that Murphy is a Bills employee.  I NEED to have Murphy give the listeners more credit than that. 

Like, not understanding why Bills fans are so broken by a generation of losing for the sake of your employer is terribly dishonest.  Tone deaf is the best way I can describe it. 

It's similar to the classic rock station in town blissfully unaware that that CCR song they just came out of is pushing 50 (!) years old.  It's not new.  Can't you admit, that I dunno, Nirvana is band after 30 years?

It's tone deaf.  Just admit your faults and move on.  No one is judging you, John.  I just need a sense of place, humility, accuracy and accountability.  Just be honest about the fact the Bills ARE irrelevant and they lose more often than they win.  These are not opinions.  They have more losing seasons than winning ones in their franchise history.  Just be honest.

I think listeners will respect that more.

Just now, Peevo said:

Asking as if he can't understand what this means, or why fans would consider the freakishly Greek tragic ways the Bills lose all these important games, with different players and different coaches is awfully tone deaf.

It's not that listeners aren't aware of the fact that Murphy is a Bills employee.  I NEED to have Murphy give the listeners more credit than that. 

Like, not understanding why Bills fans are so broken by a generation of losing for the sake of your employer is terribly dishonest.  Tone deaf is the best way I can describe it. 

It's similar to the classic rock station in town blissfully unaware that that CCR song they just came out of is pushing 50 (!) years old.  It's not new.  Can't you admit, that I dunno, Nirvana is band after 30 years?

It's tone deaf.  Just admit your faults and move on.  No one is judging you, John.  I just need a sense of place, humility, accuracy and accountability.  Just be honest about the fact the Bills ARE irrelevant and they lose more often than they win.  These are not opinions.  They have more losing seasons than winning ones in their franchise history.  Just be honest.

I think listeners will respect that more.

So you want condescension and pity from John Murphy for your suffering?

JM & DJ were actually responding to an LA-based Bills fan who called-In and commented on that HE didn't get all of the negativity that he hears on 'GR and reads on-line. This dude made the phone call that I've been wanting to make for a long time.

The Bills actually, really have a shot at making the playoffs. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but all we hear is that it doesn't matter because it will mess-up the draft position. Problem is, we've been conditioned to think that way for well over a decade now. Always worry about next year. There's a whole generation of Bills' fans who have never experienced a true winning team or winning environment.

Next year will come in due time. This year, this Bills team still has a legit shot of putting the 17 years of torture behind us. We should all want that.

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't listen to it, but I suspect I know what they're talking about.  I've been noticing it around here for a couple of weeks.   

Generalizing, of course, but I think a lot of fans assume it's impossible to beat the Patriots.   I've felt that way for a while, but I think that's not the way the coaches and players think about it. 

It goes to the point McD, the Bills players and frankly most other coaches and players make all the time:  all they're thinking about is the next game.   And it's just a football game.   It's the same game we played in high school.   The outcome of most games is NOT determined in advance.   Sure, in high school and in college there are a few games on your schedule where you're clearly out matched, where you're lambs being led to slaughter.  But in the NFL, where the talent is pretty much equal across the board, "on any given Sunday" really is the rule.   Most of the teams can win any game on their schedule. 

That doesn't mean that one team shouldn't be favored over another, because there are better and worse teams.   But it does mean that the outcome of most games isn't such a sure thing as a lot of fans assume.  

Bills-Pats will be a three-hour battle, the same game we played in high school, except better players and better coaches.  Pats are favored, but it's foolish to assume that we can mail in the result.   Pats are well coached, but so are the Bills.  And the Bills are as motivated as any Bills team playing in Foxboro for the past 20 seasons.   This is a big game, and the outcome is not pre-determined. 

I think there's more pessimism about this game than is merited. 

It’s not just the pats game Shaw. I find it ridiculous around here this week. The bills just went to 8-6 after a solid performance and are sitting in the 6th seed and quite literally almost we see are people nit picking half’s and even certain plays to keep the negative narrative going on “certain players”. 

Im 90 min south of orchard park so I don’t listen to their local radio guys but the 2 dudes that were on wgr on my way out of town back down to Erie were just awful. We had just put a sound win on the board to move to 8-6 and lift our chances for the playoffs and the whole 45 minutes that the broadcast was actually coming in for me was almost unbearable. Just negativity and picking out every sub-par thing that happened all game. WHY???? What exactly does that accomplish? 

ive been all in on the bills through this whole streak. I know it’s hard. But what’s the point of being a fan if you can’t enjoy the good moments or the process. I keep seeing people saying they won’t buy in until they see playoffs. Seriously? So say we make the playoffs this year. Certain people will have not let themselves enjoy what has actually been a really interesting season. And even ridiculed people that have been positive. That’s so foolish to me. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

John Murphy can be extremely annoying at times.  I love when someone says "Billsy" and he has a meltdown.  

He is being obstinate when he claims ignorance as to the meaning of that term.  I heard the exchange, and I thought his position to be absurd.  He has watched as much bills football as anyone over the last 30 years and, of anyone should get it, it's him.  

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It’s not just the pats game Shaw. I find it ridiculous around here this week. The bills just went to 8-6 after a solid performance and are sitting in the 6th seed and quite literally almost we see are people nit picking half’s and even certain plays to keep the negative narrative going on “certain players”. 

Im 90 min south of orchard park so I don’t listen to their local radio guys but the 2 dudes that were on wgr on my way out of town back down to Erie were just awful. We had just put a sound win on the board to move to 8-6 and lift our chances for the playoffs and the whole 45 minutes that the broadcast was actually coming in for me was almost unbearable. Just negativity and picking out every sub-par thing that happened all game. WHY???? What exactly does that accomplish? 

ive been all in on the bills through this whole streak. I know it’s hard. But what’s the point of being a fan if you can’t enjoy the good moments or the process. I keep seeing people saying they won’t buy in until they see playoffs. Seriously? So say we make the playoffs this year. Certain people will have not let themselves enjoy what has actually been a really interesting season. And even ridiculed people that have been positive. That’s so foolish to me. 

Correct. 

The Bills aren't playing the best ball in the world, but they're winning, and that's enough to celebrate.  They had a horrible mid-season collapse and they picked themselves up and went 3-1.  The only loss was to the beat team in the world.  That's enough to celebrate.  

I'm looking forward to the game with excitement.  And next weeks game too.  

Edited by Shaw66

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

• Thank you (+1) 1