‘the Process’ = Fools Gold

Chandler#81

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I enjoy the banter here. Of course it’s a polarizing topic. The new administration chose to jettison great players, while replacing them with likely one year guys. How many of you think the Ram CB & Eagle WR will be here next year? How many think Glenn, Kyle, Tyrod, Miller, LoAl and even Hughes, Wood, Incognito will be retained? That’s pretty much every Bill with a PB under their belt who hadn’t already been shown the door? I really have no idea what ‘the Process’ means in terms of fielding specific players. I just don’t like the early returns. At all.

btw, I’m also trying to show new posters in particular how to write a thread and the importance of staying with it, be it taking shots and barbs or agreeing with others positions. 

Let the barrage continue.

Just 2 players I disagree on. Hughes is playing well, but gets more attention now that there is so little talent in our front 7. Also, let's not be so quick to dump Glenn. If his foot will never heal up well enough for him to return to form, then unload him, but I am hoping that will happen. I can't believe people don't account for that at a time when there is so little OL talent league wide.  I can just see a GM like Elway laughing his behind off if we trade him to Denver for squat in return.

The rest of those guys I agree on and if we part ways with Shaq for a 2nd (yeah, right) that would be cool. I hope he really steps it up next year, though. I was optimistic about him earlier, but even his supposed run defense has been a disappointment. I don't get him. He seems to have all the tools and work ethic, but can't put it together.

Edited by GreggTX

15 hours ago, Bangarang said:

You don’t need top picks to find talented players

See: White, Tre’Davious 

I said this before and I was ridiculed mercilessly but you my friend are absolutely right. Playoff teams consistently pick at the bottom of each round, yet they always seem to hit on picks and load up on talent.

To the OP, had we finished 6-10 you would be talking about even more positions that need to be filled and we would be even further away from the playoffs. The truth is, we would have needed to finish with 2 wins or less to secure Darnold or Rosen and we would likely be no better off. Truth is, we have two 1st rounds, if we want the third best QB prospect, we can make that happen so in reality we're in the same exact position except now we have some hope to build off of.

15 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Edited by NewDayBills

You don't need high picks to draft great talent, but it helps. Your odds of getting a better improve and all GM's make bad picks. You just need to make better picks than the next guy and get a good QB.

A GM that picks well at the end of rounds still isn't going to pass up a good deal to move up. There's no question, though. Having a GM that really knows how to pick the guys that will succeed at the next level on draft weekend is perhaps the single most useful asset an NFL team can have. I'm anxious to see how Beane does in his 1st draft.

Edited by GreggTX
Typo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I enjoy the banter here. Of course it’s a polarizing topic. The new administration chose to jettison great players, while replacing them with likely one year guys. How many of you think the Ram CB & Eagle WR will be here next year? How many think Glenn, Kyle, Tyrod, Miller, LoAl and even Hughes, Wood, Incognito will be retained? That’s pretty much every Bill with a PB under their belt who hadn’t already been shown the door? I really have no idea what ‘the Process’ means in terms of fielding specific players. I just don’t like the early returns. At all.

btw, I’m also trying to show new posters in particular how to write a thread and the importance of staying with it, be it taking shots and barbs or agreeing with others positions. 

Let the barrage continue.

I think for the right money they will try and bring EJ Gaines back.  As I said the day the trade was made he is a perfect fit for this scheme.  Of the others.... I expect them to entertain offers for Glenn (huge mistake in my mind but there you go), Kyle to retire, Tyrod to be released or traded, Miller to be released in cut downs, Lorax to still be here (though he would be my first cut), Hughes I think will be here but I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't, Wood is a certainty to be here, Richie I think will as well.  

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sadly, this season will be known more for the disaster it is 3-4 years down the road. The increasing number of excellent college players is slipping dramatically with each meaningless win in a Draft year where we’ve garnered so many high pics at such a great cost. ‘The Process’ is pure Fools Gold. We simply aren’t talented enough to be considered contending, and now we likely won’t be for a few more years either. QB, DE, DL, OL, RB & WR need upgrades and more than a few players played their last Home Game yesterday. Our wins this year were all unnecessarily close and gifted with multiple T/O’s and ridiculously long FG’s. Our losses? No T/Os and blown out of stadiums. 

Even if we somehow receive a holiday miracle to break the 17 year streak for one more hour, we’re in worse shape talent wise than we were before ‘the Process’ started shredding the roster. I’ll go on record as saying we won’t make the playoffs and the result of this tease will negatively impact the team for years to come.

I love your unbridled optimism.  Winning is always better than losing PERIOD.  We are set up to draft well and this team has been a pleasure to watch this season. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sadly, this season will be known more for the disaster it is 3-4 years down the road. The increasing number of excellent college players is slipping dramatically with each meaningless win in a Draft year where we’ve garnered so many high pics at such a great cost. ‘The Process’ is pure Fools Gold. We simply aren’t talented enough to be considered contending, and now we likely won’t be for a few more years either. QB, DE, DL, OL, RB & WR need upgrades and more than a few players played their last Home Game yesterday. Our wins this year were all unnecessarily close and gifted with multiple T/O’s and ridiculously long FG’s. Our losses? No T/Os and blown out of stadiums. 

Even if we somehow receive a holiday miracle to break the 17 year streak for one more hour, we’re in worse shape talent wise than we were before ‘the Process’ started shredding the roster. I’ll go on record as saying we won’t make the playoffs and the result of this tease will negatively impact the team for years to come.

This theory hasn't worked in the past. We had the #3 pick and we picked Dareus.  We have had the #8 to #10 picks few times and we have picked excellent players, but that has not changed the team's fortunes.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

I love your unbridled optimism.  Winning is always better than losing PERIOD.  We are set up to draft well and this team has been a pleasure to watch this season. 

Ha! I love your unbridled optimism too! Of course I’m hopeful we’ll continue to find great quality in our Draft picks. It’s just made harder and with fewer blue chippers available, the further down the picks come. At a minimum, we MUST find a franchise QB, or everything else remains status quo. That’s so much more costly to acquire the further away we are from the top picks.

Merry Christmas, Xsoldier! 

19 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Another day, another "Oh, woe is me!  Since the Bills aren't going to win the Super Bowl, they shouldn't win any games so that they can always go 0-16 and get the #1 pick in the next draft!" post.  While I agree that the Bills are worse off talent wise than they were in 2016, that's not really on McDermott.  The "process" of shedding talented players rather than pay them market rate has been something that the Bills FO has been doing for the entire length of the playoff drought ... and likely since they fired Bill Polian 25 years ago.  It appears to be continuing despite the change in ownership.  McDermott, for his part, seems to be a pretty decent HC who does a lot with what he's got.  My biggest gripe about him is that he needs to replace Dennison with a better OC who is more willing to create an offense that fits his personnel.

The Bills are currently 8-6 and are holding the first wild card slot a week before Christmas.  Even if they lose to the Pats, they could still make the playoffs if they beat the Carp and get some help (and not necessarily implausible help, either).  How does that make even one of their wins "meaningless", OP?  As other posters have noted in another thread, if the Bills miss the playoffs, what it will do is make at least 2 or 3 of their losses even more frustrating.  It's been a dozen years (2004) since the Bills have been legitimately in the playoff hunt this late in the season. 

Here's to the Pats playing as flat in Foxboro Sunday as they did in Miami two weeks ago ... and to Cutler being as much the space cadet he's usually been for most of his career.  :beer:    10-6 and missing the playoffs on a tie breaker would suck, but it would be the first time that the Bills got 10 wins in this century.   It could NEVER suck as much as going 0-16 or 2-14 or 3-13.

Edited by SoTier

Imo, where the OP has the most cogency is in regards to securing a franchise qb.  It's the most important position in football and we don't have one.  Losing enough to get Rosen or Darnold would have increased the chances the team is good for a long time.  Obviously, you can find a franchise qb outside of the top picks, but it is harder.  Also, if you have two mid to late first round picks, you probably end up having to package them if you want the third qb off the board.  This is a problem when you have lots of holes.  Once you have the franchise qb, then those who stress continuity and solid drafting no matter where you are picking are generally correct.

• Like (+1) 1