2018 NFL Cap Projected to be Between $174M-$178M

26CornerBlitz

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

That's a pretty typical yearly increase.

Pretty much...will be interesting to see what happens if networks refuse to pay what they have been and push for decreases in next TV contract bidding...

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Pretty much...will be interesting to see what happens if networks refuse to pay what they have been and push for decreases in next TV contract bidding...

One of the streaming services signed at a large increase this week. We will see on the tv front. 

I'd be interested to see how much profit the Bills take in each year and where it comes from. As the cap keeps going up, it seems like smaller markets should find it harder & harder to compete, as they don't take in nearly as much revenue as the big city teams do.

I know there's revenue sharing, and the TV deals are extremely lucrative, but how does a team like Buffalo with a small market & fanbase afford to spend so much money on players in the future when it hits $200 million and above? Once they spend that much, how much is there left over for all the other costs of operations, coaching staff, scouts, front office personnel, trainers, regular employees, upkeep costs, stadium maintenance, property tax, facilities, marketing, etc.? 

Maybe NFL teams like us, the Titans, the Jags, or New Orleans make more money than I realize, but it still seems like eventually we won't be able to keep pace.

Edit: Well, I just looked into a tiny bit of it, and the Bills are dead last in terms of operating profit, and 2nd to last in total yearly revenue (we bring it $352 million yearly, netting $53 million in profit). Sadly, we're also valued at dead last at $1.6 billion, just under the Lions at $1.7 billion :(

Increasing the cap $7-10 million a year is going to quickly eat into that, as I know there's a minimum you HAVE to spend towards the cap each season. Even teams with smaller markets are pulling in more than us. https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Edited by BigDingus

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I'd be interested to see how much profit the Bills take in each year and where it comes from. As the cap keeps going up, it seems like smaller markets should find it harder & harder to compete, as they don't take in nearly as much revenue as the big city teams do.

I know there's revenue sharing, and the TV deals are extremely lucrative, but how does a team like Buffalo with a small market & fanbase afford to spend so much money on players in the future when it hits $200 million and above? Once they spend that much, how much is there left over for all the other costs of operations, coaching staff, scouts, front office personnel, trainers, regular employees, upkeep costs, stadium maintenance, property tax, facilities, marketing, etc.? 

Maybe NFL teams like us, the Titans, the Jags, or New Orleans make more money than I realize, but it still seems like eventually we won't be able to keep pace.

Edit: Well, I just looked into a tiny bit of it, and the Bills are dead last in terms of operating profit, and 2nd to last in total yearly revenue (we bring it $352 million yearly, netting $53 million in profit). Sadly, we're also valued at dead last at $1.6 billion, just under the Lions at $1.7 billion :(

Increasing the cap $7-10 million a year is going to quickly eat into that, as I know there's a minimum you HAVE to spend towards the cap each season. Even teams with smaller markets are pulling in more than us. https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

The reason the cap increases is because revenue increases, there's a correlation between the two. I'm not sure that this makes our situation worse.

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I thought all the money problems went away when Pegulas bought the team?

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

You need to raelly do a lot of reading to understand how all of this works.  You are pretty clueless

We're  not last in  revenue or operating income and were mid way on debt ratio %. As one of the smallest markets in the NFL we show up and there are so many Bill fans that have moved out of the area it would be interesting to see how many NFL SUnday ticket purchases are from Bills fans

All this while missing the playoffs for 18 years..   Imagine we will move up th elist a chunk when the wins and playoffs starting rolling back in regulalry

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Of course, we have to see what we do with a potential FA QB.   Kyle Williams, Lorenzo, replacing J. Matthews and Gaines.

I do believe that what Dunkirk said would make sense, they try to get Kyle to a discount but I doubt he goes for it.   

Gaines I'm hoping they can get for below $8m a year.

Lorenzo I hope they can get for about $3M.

Just now, Magox said:

Of course, we have to see what we do with a potential FA QB.   Kyle Williams, Lorenzo, replacing J. Matthews and Gaines.

I do believe that what Dunkirk said would make sense, they try to get Kyle to a discount but I doubt he goes for it.   

Gaines I'm hoping they can get for below $8m a year.

Lorenzo I hope they can get for about $3M.

Lorenzo is already under contract for 2018.