So does anyone BELIEVE we will make the Playoffs?

BigDingus

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

And Titans. 

Yeah. 

I don't see how they do it. 

Only 1 of the Bills, Ravens, Titans, and Chiefs/Chargers is going to make it in.

The Ravens have the best chance to win out and go 10-6. I can't see the Bills keeping pace with that and even at 9-7, 

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

After today's dramatic win, I was quite excited. But within a minute or so, I mentally hit a wall. We know what this team is, and we know how this team plays...so looking ahead at the schedule, thinking about the Patriots in week 16, made me remember we're still probably not making the playoffs yet again.

Mathematically we're still in it, but the Ravens edge us out for the 6th seed (although CBS Sports says WE are the 6th seed - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace). In reality, our only real chance at beating the Pats would've been playing them in week 17 & them resting their starters. 

Beating the Dolphins twice is doable, but far from guaranteed. But beating the Patriots in Foxborough isn't happening when they still have a reason to play their starters. 

Contenders for the Wildcard Spot:

1. Ravens (7-6) - They play a cakewalk schedule for their last 3 games. Browns, Cots & Bengals. They could easily finish 10-6. If they go 9-7, we MIGHT win those tiebreakers, but according to most projections at the moment, they're ahead. At 9-7 they'd have a 7-5 conference record, just as we would, so there may be a chance somewhere in there, but I'm not certain. However, given their schedule we need someone to pull off an upset for us to even have a shot.

2. Chargers (7-6) - They play the Chiefs, Jets & Raiders, and will likely beat all of them given how well they're playing. They've gone 7-2 in the last 9 weeks, only losing by 8 to the Pats in Foxborough & losing by 3 to Jaguars in Jacksonville. If they lose a game & go 9-7, they'll have a 6-6 Conference record & we'd have a 7-5 Conference record (assuming we only lose to the Pats). They may outright win the West though and leapfrog us entirely.

3. Chiefs (7-6) - They have the lead in the West right now, but that could quickly flip with the Chargers. They play the Chargers, Dolphins & Broncos. It really depends on what Chiefs team shows up, but assuming they go 2-1 during that stretch, they'd have a 7-5 Conference record (tied with us), and have a loss to us head to head. One of them has to win the division, so I'm not sure which would be better for us, assuming one goes 2-1 & the other goes 3-0 to close out the season. 

4. Titans (8-4) - They play the 49ers, Rams & Jaguars. They currently hold the 5th seed, as the Jags lead the division at 9-4. Their final game of the season against the Jags could be very important for them, and the Rams are a good team this year. There's a chance they go 1-2 during this stretch, finishing 9-7 with a 7-5 Conference record too. If the Ravens win out, this may be our only other shot at getting in based on tie-breakers, but it's still slim.

I'm not even including the Raiders, as even if they win out & go 9-7 they'd still only have a 3-3 division record, and a 6-6 conference record.

Thinking about all that needs to go right in order for the Bills to even have a shot hurts my head. Granted the Bills could just end the conversation before it even happens by scrubbing out against Miami next week (which would be predictable given this team's history), but let's assume we don't. With that said, does anyone HONESTLY feel we're making the playoffs this year? And if not, do you guys feel there's something to be said for going 9-7? Or are you in the "no moral victories" camp, and would rather us not win anymore games? I'm genuinely curious as to how this board feels given where we stand.

Seriously, no.  Forget what other teams need to do in order to make the playoffs.  This team has 3 division games to play, one of those against the patriots.  I have very little confidence they even win one against Miami, so no.  Playoffs aren't possible.  Until this team gets depth at key positions, and a real QB, they aren't going anywhere, just like the last 2 decades.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They have the same record.

Ravens aren't a great team. They can lose any one of these last three.

I don't think the Bills sweep the Dolphins though. 

I agree. It's not about the other teams helping us or not. It's about our team that has lived on luck for many of our wins counting on it 2X vs Miami. Not seeing it.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They have the same record.

Ravens aren't a great team. They can lose any one of these last three.

I don't think the Bills sweep the Dolphins though. 

The Ravens are playing their best at the right time though.  I think they will probably go 3-0.  

7 minutes ago, Jobot said:

There are games that at the time won't technically be considered a 'must-win'... however after our loss to the Jets, the Bills playoff drought was extended.

Yea the Jets game and the Cincy game were winnable road games we needed to get 1 of them.  

3 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Well, in another point of view, if the Ravens held on to beat the Steelers, the Pats win vs Miami on Mon, and the Pats beat the Steelers next week, the Week 16 game wouldn’t mean much for the Pats

No offense, but I hate the "if the opponent has it locked up by week xx they will be easier to beat" argument.  The 2003 Steelers and Willie Parker say hi.

Baltimore losing may actually have hurt our chances...

Our game against NE had a chance to be 'meaningless' for the Pats... this would also have required NE beating the Steelers next week as well. 

Anyone want to guess at the Pats win% at home in games to clinch the division or best conference record?  Could get ugly.

After watching a real QB throw not for 200 yards, not for 300 yards, not for 400 yards but 500 yards (if you where paying attention last night you know who Im talking about) Im convinced of two things. Making the playoffs is a complete waste of time. Getting a qb in this draft is a must. Not just some crappy fifth rounder whose going to be wiping off cars at Delta Sonic in the near future. Not some glorified running back who can never win the game with his arm. A real live bonafide qb who can carry his team to victory from time to time.

Pittsburgh loses that game last night by 20 plus with either of our qbs. Lose out. Hope KC misses the playoffs.

Do whatever you have to do to get the second pick cause I dont think Cleveland is trading out. Take Darnold or Rosen. Darnolds nuts if he doesnt come out. Hes still likely top 5. Maybe top 3. He blows out his acl next year in college who knows where he falls. Screw the playoffs. Your not getting out of the first weekend if you make it.

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

They won't catch the Ravens. The team to catch is the Chiefs. 

Bills Ravens are tied.  Buff holds the tie break over KC as long as they don't win the AFCW.  

NFL.COM has the Bills out of the WC,

NBC(?) and ESPN say different

image.thumb.png.15a3e9b14e77bf7f7d452bf8c3a63a23.pngimage.thumb.png.a0cb79379e5665d566bcfa6a93f1c255.png        

I'm soooo confused!!! 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 minutes ago, TBDlurkerSINCE07 said:

We need a healthy TT first and foremost. 

If we finish 9-7, I'll take my chances on getting in. Baltimore has a cupcake schedule, but it's still Joe Flacco, you never know and Tennessee looks rough right about now. I'd say we're greater than 50% if we get to 9-7. so yes I believe.

You expect the Ravens to lose to the Browns or Bungles?  KC to lose to Denver in Denver, 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think 9-7 is doable.

Literally all I want for Christmas is 3 Titans defeats in the next 3 weeks. 

You are a wise man, GB.  I am with you on the above.

Niners I believe are even favored next week against the Titans (didn't check, a buddy told me).  Man, that and a loss to the rams the following week would make our Pats game almost meaningless (hoping that the Bolts are in first at that time).