Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

5 minutes ago, Lfod said:

It has everything to do with winning.

yes it has to do with the Bills winning. Kind of hard to do that if the time runs out. The fact that Mcd got bailed out by a hail mary in the snow by a 3rd string QB makes you think he's some kind of genius. When looking at the odds in that situation it was an awful decision.

Just now, Rocbillsfan1 said:

yes it has to do with the Bills winning. Kind of hard to do that if the time runs out. The fact that Mcd got bailed out by a hail mary in the snow by a 3rd string QB makes you think he's some kind of genius. When looking at the odds in that situation it was an awful decision.

Again, there was a DPI on the play so either way it would have worked. 

I dont think he was genius. Just made the right call in that situation. It’s not a science as much as you’re trying to make it out to be. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

A couple good runs? They need quite a few actually. 

I just don’t get this logic. You trust the defense to make a stop at the 10 but at the 41 you don’t trust them?

I will say this - there is a huge difference between having to stop them from the 10 and the 41 - HUGE!

If Indy gets the stop and starts at the 40 - they are running the ball to try and win - something they had been effective at doing.  

When they got the ball at the 10 - Indy needed to throw to win a huge difference and what allowed the Bills to have time to win.

It is not trusting them - it is that Indy had to do something they struggled doing all game if they wanted to win after the punt.  

If Indy had wanted to just tie the game - they could have just run it and the punt would have been even worse decision, but Indy wanted the victory and it cost them the game.

1 minute ago, dubs said:

Again, there was a DPI on the play so either way it would have worked. 

I dont think he was genius. Just made the right call in that situation. It’s not a science as much as you’re trying to make it out to be. 

Sure accurate pass and a 1st down to Ty Hilton and maybe the game ends in a Tie and that is the end of the season for the Bills. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I'm well aware of the rules bud. You were so confident the defence was going to stop them after the punt, so if the bills got a field goal in that situation, I'm sure you would agree it would be almost impossible for the Colts to get 3 points back... Right?

No...I agree if the Bills get in field goal range, I would venture to say the 20 and they make it, the colts don't score. But I think the he thought with the weather and the situation called for a punt and defense. With the way the game played out he in turn made the correct decision.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No way they throw on 4-1.  Colts know what it coming!

Given the condition of field, no way is offense getying spot or benny of video review.

Realize people, a 4-1 conversion attempt eas doomed with too many ifs.

Just like Shady’s TD too right doomed ooo wait no the executed and got a TD 

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will say this - there is a huge difference between having to stop them from the 10 and the 41 - HUGE!

If Indy gets the stop and starts at the 40 - they are running the ball to try and win - something they had been effective at doing.  

When they got the ball at the 10 - Indy needed to throw to win a huge difference and what allowed the Bills to have time to win.

It is not trusting them - it is that Indy had to do something they struggled doing all game if they wanted to win after the punt.  

If Indy had wanted to just tie the game - they could have just run it and the punt would have been even worse decision, but Indy wanted the victory and it cost them the game.

They ran on first down and passed on second and third (because it was third and long). From the 25. What makes you think they would not have done the exact same thing from the 41?

6 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Are you serious Clark? So giving the ball to your MVP on a 4th and 1 is a bad call but asking for a bunch of things to go perfect after that is the right one?

Yes.  They know it is coming.  I played o-line in weather like this.  Advantage D.  Spot would be a crap shoot.

Only reason Shady busted for winning TD is because it was second down, they could have passed there.

No way they pass on 4th.  O-line needs a push and pray for spot.  Video ain't helping.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

No...I agree if the Bills get in field goal range, I would venture to say the 20 and they make it, the colts don't score. But I think the he thought with the weather and the situation called for a punt and defense. With the way the game played out he in turn made the correct decision.

If Brissett hits a wide open Ty Hilton on 2nd and 10 would you be saying the same thing?

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure accurate pass and a 1st down to Ty Hilton and maybe the game ends in a Tie and that is the end of the season for the Bills. 

Um, IIRC that didn’t happen so your point is moot. 

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

And the snow stopped.  Field still covered of course. The "windshield wipers" could be turned off.

1 minute ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

No. But McD knew the QB was Brisset. You think he would have punted if it was Tom Brady? In fact it was Hilton that made the play or it was pick 6 for White.

Exactly. It’s situational awareness versus following espn’s stat machine.