Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Gugny

Anyone who gets a chance to go to The Arizona Memorial should.  It is utterly chilling.

The first time I went, a Japanese woman in traditional formal gown was kneeling and praying toward the memorial.  Tears just streamed down my cheeks.

Such a sacred place.

Edited by Billsfansinceday1

1 hour ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

Anyone who gets a chance to go to The Arizona Memorial should.  It is utterly chilling.

The first time I went, a Japanese woman in traditional formal gown was kneeling and praying toward the memorial.  Tears just streamed down my cheeks.

Such a sacred place.

That and Gettysburg.

42 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Hessian's fought in the Revolutionary War in the Gettysburg area w/ the British  IIRC 

Interesting.... I'll put that onto my thoughts of the place as well as other things that it is noted for.

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

f3ec1cc4e1831afa94352f1cb0580e67--milita

CR042K11-ford-logo

Willow Run was amazing.  

Little known fact: Pearl Harbor, to the Japanese, was just a sideshow.  The real axis of their attack was southwards, and what they considered the crowning achievement of their offensive (and really, what is more historically important) was the fall of Singapore.  

Another little known fact: the effort to salvage the USS Oklahoma was ridiculous.  She capsized in the attack, and they built a mammoth set of winches and frames to winch her upright.  

BB-37_Oklahoma021org.jpg

image.jpg

And another side note: of the six battleships that survived or were salvaged and rebuilt from Pearl Harbor, five of them (West Virginia, Tennessee, California, Pennsylvania, and Maryland) fought in the last battleship action fought, and sunk the Japanese Southern Force at the Battle of Surigao Straits during the Leyte Gulf Campaign in '44.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1