Avengers: Infinity War Trailer

Mark Vader

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I simply can't shake the feeling that this is going to be about as coherent as David Lynch's Dune.

Tried watching Dune recently as I definitely remember it in a better light. Its......it's not good.

2 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

Tried watching Dune recently as I definitely remember it in a better light. Its......it's not good.

The British mini-series was better.  It's got that whole "low budget BBC sci-fi" thing going, of course...but it at least was done by someone who read the frickin' book...

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The new one has promise... if only because the director has chops.

There's a new one?

Dune is a hard book to script.  Too much of the story is what's unsaid.  Lynch's movie was so voiced-over that the book is actually a better example of the movie principle of "Show, don't tell" than the movie was.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

There's a new one?

Dune is a hard book to script.  Too much of the story is what's unsaid.  Lynch's movie was so voiced-over that the book is actually a better example of the movie principle of "Show, don't tell" than the movie was.

He's not one of my favorites, but he's good on the page:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dune-reboot-writer-eric-roth-denis-villeneuve-1201998001/

20 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He's not one of my favorites, but he's good on the page:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dune-reboot-writer-eric-roth-denis-villeneuve-1201998001/

Here's why I'd worry...

As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, jurisdiction over Arrakis...

Not just "a highly valuable resource."  Spice.  Melange.  A product of the sandworm ecology central to the socio-economics of the Fremen, all of which is central to the plot, hence it is critical to the plot as "spice."

Calling it a "highly valuable resource" is an open invitation to some moron of a producer to say "I don't understand this...let's change it to unobtanium.  And why don't we make the Fremen eight feet tall and blue?  And set it in a jungle planet.  Wait...why the hell are you directing this?  Get me James Cameron!"

Edit: holy ****, is that Variety article stupid...

The book has sold almost 20 million copies since its original release and in 2003 was named the best-selling sci fi novel of all time.

The novel was also adapted for the 1984 film directed by David Lynch.

Lynch adapted a novel from 19 years in the future?  What !@#$ing monkey wrote that ****?

Edited by DC Tom
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Here's why I'd worry...

Not just "a highly valuable resource."  Spice.  Melange.  A product of the sandworm ecology central to the socio-economics of the Fremen, all of which is central to the plot, hence it is critical to the plot as "spice."

Calling it a "highly valuable resource" is an open invitation to some moron of a producer to say "I don't understand this...let's change it to unobtanium.  And why don't we make the Fremen eight feet tall and blue?  And set it in a jungle planet.  Wait...why the hell are you directing this?  Get me James Cameron!"

All valid points. I haven't been tracking the development of it, though I was excited to learn it was happening. 

Personally I'd rather see them do it on HBO as a limited series (like the superior mini) - a few years ago that was the plan (or at least that's what I heard around town) but I never saw anything more about it.

6 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I simply can't shake the feeling that this is going to be about as coherent as David Lynch's Dune.

You know, I've actually watched Suicide Squad about ten times, explicitly because it's such a fascinating example of how not to make a movie.  

I haven't bought the DVD...but I may, for the director's commentary, just to see if he has any further pointers on how not to make a movie.

Lol, I have faith that they will do this one right.

As for SS, I actually fell asleep watching a chunk of it, I did get a digital copy of it through google play that also came with an extended version only because it was on sale cheap.

23 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

All valid points. I haven't been tracking the development of it, though I was excited to learn it was happening. 

Personally I'd rather see them do it on HBO as a limited series (like the superior mini) - a few years ago that was the plan (or at least that's what I heard around town) but I never saw anything more about it.

With Denis Villeneuve directing, this should be in good hands. His films have all been outstanding. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/30/2017 at 11:05 AM, DC Tom said:

Any truth to the rumor they're making it a trilogy, with the third installment being nothing but credits for the first two?

Have not heard that one - I did hear that the Guardians are only in the after credits and the screen should in preview is after Thor is beaten by Thanos and they rescue him leading to part 2.

On 2017-11-30 at 9:11 AM, Mark Vader said:

This was originally supposed to be two movies.

There is going to be a fourth Avengers movie, but I don't know if it's a continuation of Infinity War or something completely different.

It’s a continuation. But it remains unnamed due to the fact the title would possibly spoil the end of this one. And if you’ve read the comic, you could figure out where this is headed.

19 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Super pumped about this movie. Marvel took 10 years to build up to this moment. Justice League fell so flat, no character development, due to WB wanting it to be cut down to two hours really killed it. 

I'm curious as to where Ant-man is. 

He's in the trailer.....you just can't see him. :P

• Haha (+1) 1

On 05/12/2017 at 12:50 PM, Mark Vader said:

He's in the trailer.....you just can't see him. :P

For all we know, he has been a major part in every movie but could never see him....

On 05/12/2017 at 12:47 PM, Jay_Fixit said:

It’s a continuation. But it remains unnamed due to the fact the title would possibly spoil the end of this one. And if you’ve read the comic, you could figure out where this is headed.

Heard that too, that's why they just call it Avengers 4 right now until after the next one comes out so they don't give away anything.

It's been said though that all the current Avengers won't  be returning cause it's the end of their contracts so either they end up dying or leaving. Since many have continued on in comics with others taking over the character it's possible we just get a replacement Iron Man or Captain America to continue on in their place.

Although with some of the more obscure/smaller characters that they are making bigger right now in the movies (Ant man, Guardians, Black Panther) it makes me wonder if Marvel is just showing off or sticking it to DC right now laughing about being able to make blockbuster hits out of their 'B' and 'C' list characters when DC struggles to make a hit with their 'A' list guys....

How serious is the talk of Disney acquiring Fox's movie/tv properties?  If they were seriously considering tying the X-Men into all of this, some sort of reality warping caused by Thanos over the two Avenger movies is probably the only way to ever make that happen.  I suppose they could just do another hard reboot of the X-Men universe, but it would be tough to have Wolverine just suddenly come on the scene even though he's been alive for 100s of years.