How did some big name NFL quarterbacks perform in their first NFL start?

Certainly not as bad as Peterman. He performed at a level equal to a fringe practice squad guy. Staying patient with a young QB is paramount to their success, but there is a line. Guys who have Peterman like debuts don’t stick around long. He looked like he’d be lucky to have a future in the NFL. People keep mentioning Jeff Tuel, he made Tuel look spectacular. 

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually this thread more then proves that McDermott lied to all you Petermaniacs. 

If some of the greatest hof qbs couldn't perform in their first start then with an important game with playoff implications on the line McDermott made you believe Peterman gave the Bills the best chance to win then he either lied or should be fired for incompetence.

No not at all. Fired for trying to get better? Truth is Tyrod is not good enough. Come on man McD showed me he isnt as blind as some when it comes to wanting to get better at QB.

The kid got one start on the road against a very good D, I did not lose confidence in his choice to play him at all. All it proved to me was the team did not get behind the kid enough and also showed he needs to learn to tone down the start of a game, can't have all the big plays on the first few drives. McD should have had a softer game plan for him. SMH Petermaniacs? That type of name is sure a COT way of thinking and why they get blasted on so much as such a narrow minded bunch stuck in Baltimore's backup QB jock.

Edited by xRUSHx

2 hours ago, grb said:

There's an ESPN article today on the latest feel-good story, Case Keenum, and what it means about choosing qbs. It's points are :

1. Coaching matters : Comparing the fortunes of Keenum & Golf with old and new coaching
  2. Investing money in infrastructure is probably better than throwing money at a prayer of a passer : This is aimed primarily at picking up a qb on the open market, but emphasizes Keenum is succeeding because he's in a situation to succeed.
  3. If you're going to take a flier on a quarterback, don't look for the same sort of prototype you're chasing with the first overall pick : Once you're out of the First Round, you need to look beyond your checklist of stud quarterback requirements and consider more intangibles.
  4. The idea there aren't 32 good NFL quarterbacks is overstated : Money quote :  "Instead of saying that there aren't 32 good quarterbacks to go around, we should be saying that there aren't 32 good situations for quarterbacks at any given time in the NFL"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21533844/what-learn-star-turn-case-keenum-minnesota-vikings-whether-re-signed-2017-nfl

Thanks for the article.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Of course drafting in the 1st round improves your chances, and the sooner you pick the better. But there has been many 1st round QB busts, and there are exceptions like Brady, etc.

My point remains the same: you don't let go of the best QB on your roster unless someone beats him to get the spot. Not BEFORE someone beats him to get the spot, as that may not happen for years! If dratfting franchise QB was easy, 25+ teams would have one. 

Yes, but Peterman isn't a smaller QB like Taylor or a skinny (he might have been called slight) kid like Tom Brady was when he was drafted or a kid that got caught up in some kind of power struggle at his school like Tony Romo who wasn't even drafted.  Being "pro ready"" is not a good reason to gamble on a fifth round QB because a team should be drafting for potential.

I totally agree that it would be wisest for the Bills to keep Taylor in 2018, but I just don't see it happening.  Whether they get rid of him to save money or to placate the anti-Taylor contingent of vociferous fans or to pave the way for a yet-to-be-drafted first round QB, he's history just like Fitzpatrick was in 2013.  It will undoubtedly be better for Tyrod.  I doubt it will be better for the Bills or their fans in 2018 but then it's most definitely "the Bills way".

1 minute ago, vincec said:

So Peterman is the answer after all! I thought his poor start was bad news, but it actually it shows that he’s on track to being an all time great.

This thread IMO is just showing the kid might not be as bad as the one half he played. SMH.

Funny how the COT is out pushing hard on the kid for  bad 2 quarters but forget about Tyrods 4 quarters and only 54 yards in his last start.

I can imagine how bad Tyrod would have played if he started a game his first season, it took Tyrod 4 years on the bench to be even be considered a starter and that consideration wasn't even from the team that drafted him it was Rex.

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

This thread IMO is just showing the kid might not be as bad as the one half he played. SMH.

Funny how the COT is out pushing hard on the kid for  bad 2 quarters but forget about Tyrods 4 quarters and only 54 yards in his last start.

I can imagine how bad Tyrod would have played if he started a game his first season, it took Tyrod 4 years on the bench to be even be considered a starter and that consideration wasn't even from the team that drafted him it was Rex.

I didn’t mention Tyrod at all in my post. I think you are the one with Tyrod obsession, not me.

Edited by vincec

6 minutes ago, vincec said:

I didn’t mention Tyrod at all in my post. I think you are the one with Tyrod obsession, not me.

I did not say you I said the COT, are you a member?

I addressed your post with the first paragraph, sorry if you felt I pointed it at you.

BTW, this post isnt saying Peterman is all that just saying some people need to chill out a little towards him IMO. Guess your post of saying"Peterman is the answer after all" was a little smug and got me going.

Edited by xRUSHx

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There I should no guarantee what NP will become but the overwhelming data suggests he will be a backup/ fringe NFL qb.  It's not like he was se hidden gem in college without elite physical skills.  He is pretty much maxed out and NFL teams thought he was a 5th round talent.

and that's pretty fine.  I think fans just want to believe in a qb so bad that they will fall in love quickly.  I just hope we spend a high pick to get a guy who has a more realistic shot to be a franchise qb.

Excellent post 

Edited by xRUSHx

20 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Really? First, NP wasn't bad, but pretty-much the worst in modern history. There's a difference there if you're willing to open your eyes. Second, Taylor was bad vs New Orleans. But he was good against the Jets, Raiders, and Bucs. He was good against the Jets despite facing the same kind of pass rush which had Peterman throwing an interception every other attempt. Funny how you forgot that......

Edited by grb

12 minutes ago, grb said:

Really? First, NP wasn't bad, but pretty-much the worst in modern history. There's a difference there if you're will to open your eyes. Second, Taylor was bad vs New Orleans. But he was good against the Jets, Raiders, and Bucs. He was good against the Jets despite facing the same kind of pass rush which had Peterman throwing an interception every other attempt. Funny how you forgot that......

Definitely unproductive, which is still miles from 5 ints bad. 

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

Pretty sure Peterman will get another chance. If not this season than beginning in spring 2018. He was so hyper-over aggressive in his play. Just being so careless.  He will learn a lot from it. Just hope he gets one more crack to do something positive.

I think he heard all the talk about tt being ultra conservative and not taking chances that he didn't want to be like that.