THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Ramblings of a Madman

Shaw66

43 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

What I don't understand is the number of fans who clamored for Peterman?

He was a 5th Rounder. 

Is that really a move that signifies the team believes that he is the "future". 

He'd defy the odds if he topped out as a career backup.

I never saw him as a real plan at QB.

BBFS.  Buffalo Bills Fan Syndrome.

The clamor for Peterman and the hopes built around his possible emergence as a starter, the "need to evaluate him" as an alternative to drafting a QB high, are one of the clearest symptoms.  For so long have the Bills under-drafted QB, that we've plumb forgotten what a realistic plan to acquire a decent QB looks like. 

At OBD, we acquire a QB.  Maybe he shows some flashes, maybe he was acquired with or by way of one of our 1st round picks.  We say "he's the future, we got to evaluate him, see what he's got, throw him in there and let him make mistakes".  We hang onto him for several years, meanwhile acquiring only very late round picks or maybe a career journeyman.

bull ****.  Late round draft picks who haven't proven themselves in regular season playing time are "second tier FA" unless they totally knock your socks off in training camp and preseason.  If they've stuck on an NFL roster throughout their rookie contracts and outplayed challenges from other late round draft picks/UDFA, you or some other team may decide to evaluate them.  But you do not depend upon them becoming your Franchise QB, even if you put them in a game or two and they play decently. 

You do not "need to evaluate them" to see if you can avoid drafting the best QB you can, not if you want to get your team out of "QB Purgatory"

38 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

He may be the future somewhere but to put him in that position and for him to have such a bad half was McD's fault and only serves to set him back in his development.  With a guy like Peterman, you get him into game situations where the game is pretty much over (up big or down big).  Let him at least get his feet wet before you throw him to the wolves.  Peterman and McD can talk all they want about how he learned from it and all that, but there's no doubt in my mind that when Peterman goes back on the field, he's gonna be thinking about the five interceptions.  He's gonna be playing tight not wanting to make a mistake.  And that's exactly what you don't want from your QB.  

Maybe.  Or maybe not.

The reason most rookie QB in their first start don't throw 5 INTs in a half, is that after the 1st or 2nd they start playing more conservatively to avoid more mistakes.

I kinda got laughed at in the Micah Hyde Nickname thread for pointing out there was a negative connotation to the nickname "Nate Favre", in that Favre was a notorious and unregenerate gunslinger, especially in his later years after becoming "Brett Favre, Superstar", and maybe Hyde called him that because he could pluck him regularly.

Maybe Peterman, who still believed in himself and kept slinging it after the 2nd and 3rd INT, would still believe in himself and keep slinging it and playing Picks-o-Matic.  And that is also something you don't want from your QB.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Hey great. I can do it! I will mark my calendar so I dint forget to cancel. :)

It is bittersweet that I am doing it to see what on earth has gone so wrong. Something is very wrong. More wrong than it should be. It is like the defense have been denied even their physical bodies. They can't even just simply get in the way. They should be able to do better just by having bodies, and being randomly in the way. 

LIke, we could give the defense all smartphones and have them text while walking around out there. They would be sure to bump into someone.

Anyway thank you I will take a look.

You're welcome.  And the image of Bills defenders wandering around texting and doing better, made me laugh almost as much as that McWrestler "Losing Streak" cartoon someone posted.  Thanks for the laugh!

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

We all mourn in our own ways.

I don't tell you to lay off the saturated fats...

Technically to feel better after a game like that it takes sugar AND saturated fats. And for it to work, you can't eat it at other times or you develop a tolerance that wipes away the mood of well being that you get.

I maintain my physique chiefly by adhering to a strict inactive lifestyle not from saturated fats.

Back to your well deserved  admonishment of me. Your point is taken. I was insensitive, hypocritical, and bossy.

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Technically to feel better after a game like that it takes sugar AND saturated fats. And for it to work, you can't eat it at other times or you develop a tolerance that wipes away the mood of well being that you get.

I maintain my physique chiefly by adhering to a strict inactive lifestyle not from saturated fats.

Back to your well deserved  admonishment of me. Your point is taken. I was insensitive, hypocritical, and bossy.

Cheers!

I believe the appropriate response here is:

Dilly dilly!

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

BBFS.  Buffalo Bills Fan Syndrome.

The clamor for Peterman and the hopes built around his possible emergence as a starter, the "need to evaluate him" as an alternative to drafting a QB high, are one of the clearest symptoms.  For so long have the Bills under-drafted QB, that we've plumb forgotten what a realistic plan to acquire a decent QB looks like. 

At OBD, we acquire a QB.  Maybe he shows some flashes, maybe he was acquired with or by way of one of our 1st round picks.  We say "he's the future, we got to evaluate him, see what he's got, throw him in there and let him make mistakes".  We hang onto him for several years, meanwhile acquiring only very late round picks or maybe a career journeyman.

bull ****.  Late round draft picks who haven't proven themselves in regular season playing time are "second tier FA" unless they totally knock your socks off in training camp and preseason.  If they've stuck on an NFL roster throughout their rookie contracts and outplayed challenges from other late round draft picks/UDFA, you or some other team may decide to evaluate them.  But you do not depend upon them becoming your Franchise QB, even if you put them in a game or two and they play decently. 

You do not "need to evaluate them" to see if you can avoid drafting the best QB you can, not if you want to get your team out of "QB Purgatory"

100% right.

The Bills fans and the organization have believed for a long time that any QB who wanders in off the street DESERVES the chance to be the starter. 

To think that a segment of fans wanted Jeff Tuel to be developed, Thad Lewis was seen as not that bad, some fans justified Brian Brohm getting starts. 

And to your point, the Bills gave 3 years to Trent (and the start of a 4th season in 2010), 3 years to Fitzpatrick, a year with EJ, wanted Orton back for a second year, and now have 2.5 years in on Tyrod its indisputable that this organization (over multiple owners) is convinced it can win with bottom tier QBs supported by a run game. 

How does Doug Whaley come to the conclusion based on tape and research that EJ Manuel is worth a first rounder, but that Deshaun Watson wasn't based on their college careers. 

The Bills again passed on Watson and Mahomes for a cornerback to replace the cornerback we let go in FA. 

And now with 5 wins, you aren't going to get the best 1 or 2 QBs in the draft without blowing assets to try and trade up. 

McDermott doesn't believe in passing the ball anyways. He believes in running and keeping down and distance manageable. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Bolded part of your post is spot on if Taylor is the QB, since this type of offense is his strength.  Don't give Tyrod a pocket, let him move around behind the line as needed and create plays.  But all this, I fear, is for not because of the rigid philosophy of Dennison...he won't allow it to come to fruition since this is not the type of offense he knows.

Bill Barnwell writes in his column how Dennison has cut back significantly on using Shotgun sets with Taylor and McCoy which had been very productive in the past for the Bills.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  People can argue all they like about how Dareus didn't play enough to make a difference.  I put the facts out there: the Oakland game (Oak has little run game and none apart from ML) is an anomaly.  Otherwise it can be seen that the run game was more porous when MD was out earlier in the season, and vastly more porous since he left; and that contrary to popular report that he was only playing 1/3 of snaps, in several games it was closer to 2/3.  Then look at Jax run D since Dareus showed up. 

If you really want to tank, you start at the very beginning.  I think all signs point to they genuinely are trying to win as much as they can this year, and either these guys didn't realize what Mr Big Stuff was doing for the D (they see better film, they'd be stupid), or, Mr Big Stuff got up to some shenanigans which led them to say "I don't care who you are and what you do on the field, You're Out and we'll deal with the consequences".  But you know, then...Deal.  Make changes to your scheme.  Adapt.  Use the players you have.

Schaub (whom long timers know I regarded as an under-rated QB in his prime) had Kubiak for 3 years and Kyle Shanahan for 2 before Dennison moved from Denver in 2010.

I don't think Dennison had much to do with developing Schaub, who had his best career in 2009.

Thanks. 

If you're moderately organized or better, you can get a week's free trial of NFL Gamepass and watch the game (condensed and all-22 should be up today).

Then cancel.

No, vs letting him do the typical late round rookie development path: barring injury, let him practice at half speed and watch game film for a year and support the starter on the bench.  If there's injury, support him with a simple, run-heavy game plan that doesn't ask too much of him, give the OL extra help, and hope for the best.  Give him a meaningless game if relevant, and see how he does at 3/4 speed.

If he starts really lighting it up in preseason and is within spitting distance of or outplays the starter, then consider giving him a meaningful start.  But while Peterman did some good things in preseason, he was no Russ Wilson "gotta play me" kid.

You don't develop a QB by throwing him into the fire in a meaningful regular season game with a gameplan designed for a seasoned QB.  No useful purpose is served.   Unless, as someone here speculated, the whole point was as a close-aimed shot across Taylor's bows: throw it, or spend the rest of the season holding a clipboard and watching the Peterman debacle.

You say it served no useful purpose then go on to say it may have convinced Taylor to throw the football more. If Taylor gets injured do you think Peterman is ready to get tossed into the fire with very little preparation and stick with the same game plan? I don't, so we did accomplish something in my humble opinion.

It was a calculated move to help spark the team, give  Peterman some experience, send Taylor a message and gain valuable intel before the next draft.

Everything was accomplished IMO.

with all due respect

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

You say it served no useful purpose then go on to say it may have convinced Taylor to throw the football more.

I thought the writing was clear, but evidently not: if you're trying to develop a QB, or even evaluate him, "no useful purpose is served" by throwing him into the fire with a game plan designed for a seasoned QB.

If you don't GAF about that QB and you want to risk damaging him to motivate your starter, I suppose that's a "useful purpose", but it serves no developmental purpose.

If an injury occurs and an inexperienced backup must be played, the usual strategy is to script a plan (or quickly revise the existing plan) to try to make it easy for them.  You don't throw them into a game the starter could play to get them experience.

I'm glad you think something was accomplished.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought the writing was clear, but evidently not: if you're trying to develop a QB, or even evaluate him, "no useful purpose is served" by throwing him into the fire with a game plan designed for a seasoned QB.

If you don't GAF about that QB and you want to risk damaging him to motivate your starter, I suppose that's a "useful purpose", but it serves no developmental purpose.

If an injury occurs and an inexperienced backup must be played, the usual strategy is to script a plan (or quickly revise the existing plan) to try to make it easy for them.  You don't throw them into a game the starter could play to get them experience.

I'm glad you think something was accomplished.

Do you think Buffalo is going to draft a QB in the 1st and let him stand on the sidelines learning?

Its not going to happen IMO.

13 minutes ago, Figster said:

Do you think Buffalo is going to draft a QB in the 1st and let him stand on the sidelines learning?

Its not going to happen IMO.

I know what I think they should do.

But how is that relevent to the point of whether a useful purpose was served by starting Peterman with a game plan designed for a seasoned QB?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know what I think they should do.

But how is that relevent to the point of whether a useful purpose was served by starting Peterman with a game plan designed for a seasoned QB?

that an even higher investment will be tossed into the fire with less preparation then N Peterman was given.

Huckleberry and Hapless are REALLY depressing me.  It's hard to argue with their take on recent history. 

I believed p, I was sure, that McDermott was the answer.  Maybe he is. But right now I think he's looking at a total rebuild, and there's no evidence that he has what it takes.  

Will the Pegulas give him and Beane another four years to prove themselves?  There's a good chance it will take that long.  

I say all the time that you can't tell who the good and bad teams are until late October and into November.  It looks like we're finding out. 

Oh, and good luck signing free agents next Spring. Unless the Bills miraculously win 3 or 4 games, it's hard to imagine a free agent getting excited about signing with the Bills. 

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Huckleberry and Hapless are REALLY depressing me.  It's hard to argue with their take on recent history. 

I believed p, I was sure, that McDermott was the answer.  Maybe he is. But right now I think he's looking at a total rebuild, and there's no evidence that he has what it takes.  

Will the Pegulas give him and Beane another four years to prove themselves?  There's a good chance it will take that long.  

I say all the time that you can't tell who the good and bad teams are until late October and into November.  It looks like we're finding out. 

Oh, and good luck signing free agents next Spring. Unless the Bills miraculously win 3 or 4 games, it's hard to imagine a free agent getting excited about signing with the Bills. 

McD took on a Rex Ryan football team and basically got rid of anyone that had anything to do with scouting and drafting players. Clearly the team McD took over is not the kind of team he wants.

I  lliked your 2nd assessment Shaw, hang in there buddy, we have one hell of a draft coming up.

1 hour ago, Figster said:

that an even higher investment will be tossed into the fire with less preparation then N Peterman was given.

Well, we've both seen that happen.

Even when starting a rookie, however, it shouldn't. 
Recent successful rookies were given game plans that didn't ask them to do too much or carry the team on their arm - strong OL, strong run game, and "keep it simple" were the recipes for success. 

I got curious and had a look at the top 10 QB by passing yards from last year, where they were drafted, and when they became the starter.  The same recipe seems to hold true: either they sat for a year or more (first round or no); or, they had a strong rush game and defense; or, the result wasn't pretty.  The exception as often, would be Andrew Luck.

Brees (rnd 2, #32): 2

Ryan (rnd 1, #3): 1 [11-5; Rush game #2, Defense #11]

Cousins (rnd 4, #102): 4 (started 1,3, and 5 games his 1st 3 years)

Rodgers (rnd 1, #24): 4

Rivers (rnd 1, #1): 3

Stafford (rnd 1, #1): 1 [2-8, injured 4 games and next year; Rush game #24 Defense #32] - first full season was 3

Flacco (rnd 1, #18): 1 [team went 11-5; Rush game #1, Defense #3]

Luck (rnd 1, #1): 1 [11-5; Rush Game #14,Defense #21]

Palmer (rnd 1, #1): 2

Wilson (rnd 3, #15): 1 [11-5; Rush Game #1, Defense #1]

4 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I recommend Stroopwafels.  Available at World Market (not B'lo store) and at Aldi at Christmastime.  They have everything you want for your post-game sugar and fat bolus.  Perch it on a mug of buttered rum or hot chocolate to warm/soften a bit, and you're on your way to forgetting just about any suckfest short of a Superbowl loss.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

(...)

I'm so sorry.  And yes, I agree, in addition to damaging the mentality and morale of the team, losing out the season will most certainly serve as "Free Agent Repellent"

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, we've both seen that happen.

Even when starting a rookie, however, it shouldn't. 
Recent successful rookies were given game plans that didn't ask them to do too much or carry the team on their arm - strong OL, strong run game, and "keep it simple" were the recipes for success. 

I got curious and had a look at the top 10 QB by passing yards from last year, where they were drafted, and when they became the starter.  The same recipe seems to hold true: either they sat for a year or more (first round or no); or, they had a strong rush game and defense; or, the result wasn't pretty.  The exception as often, would be Andrew Luck.

Brees (rnd 2, #32): 2

Ryan (rnd 1, #3): 1 [11-5; Rush game #2, Defense #11]

Cousins (rnd 4, #102): 4 (started 1,3, and 5 games his 1st 3 years)

Rodgers (rnd 1, #24): 4

Rivers (rnd 1, #1): 3

Stafford (rnd 1, #1): 1 [2-8, injured 4 games and next year; Rush game #24 Defense #32] - first full season was 3

Flacco (rnd 1, #18): 1 [team went 11-5; Rush game #1, Defense #3]

Luck (rnd 1, #1): 1 [11-5; Rush Game #14,Defense #21]

Palmer (rnd 1, #1): 2

Wilson (rnd 3, #15): 1 [11-5; Rush Game #1, Defense #1]

I recommend Stroopwafels.  Available at World Market (not B'lo store) and at Aldi at Christmastime.  They have everything you want for your post-game sugar and fat bolus.  Perch it on a mug of buttered rum or hot chocolate to warm/soften a bit, and you're on your way to forgetting just about any suckfest short of a Superbowl loss.

thanks for the research

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

thanks for the research

Welcome.  

My bottom line: if you start a rookie, give him a stout OL, a run-heavy offense, and a strong D or prepare for loss and injury, and delays in becoming the QB he could be.

Unless he's Andrew Luck.  Paxton Lynch is about to enter a world of pain.

Try the Stroopwafels.  You can feel your blood sugar soar.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

If the defense is crap because Dareus got traded there's no answer for that.  If it is as simple as "gap integrity" then McDermott better get his on it.  As far as the offense Dennison either needs to get canned or find some inner creative bone in his body.  Come out and throw the ball from a 4 WR set every down.  How about a good old fashion screen game, remember the one Gailey used to kill other teams with?  There are things that could be done to be better.  What is frustrating is that, at least on offense anyways, I don't think Dennison is capable. 

5 hours ago, bobm said:

Except playing tight is what TT appears to have been doing since he got here. At least to me anyway.   I like Peterman and he looked good while completing his first three passes especially the laser to Kelvin, a pass Tyrod rarely if ever throws.  The first int went off the hands of the fullback and returned for six.  Another int was miscommunication when peterman threw long and the receiver cut out short.  At least one and possibly two were caused when he was hit when throwing.

I'd put Peterman in again with a carefully scripted set of initial plays to help his confidence and see if he can be salvaged.     

He didn't complete his first three passes.....he was 2-3 on the first two drives (to Buffalo receivers) and 2-2 and a TD to LAC DB's.  And the "laser" to Benjamin wasn't anything overly tricky and I'd argue Taylor has thrown into tighter windows.  And playing the woulda-coulda-shoulda on INT's is lame.  Look at Taylor's 10 TD's and 3 INT's this year.  Two of his INT's were catchable balls that got tipped and intercepted.  Should we change his stats to 11 TD's (since Clay's shouldve been a TD) and 1 INT?  Oh, and we're gonna leave Peterman blameless on the two INT's when he was being hit?  Okay, I get it......the ol' double standard.  

I'll give you Peterman's script for the next game......run out of the tunnel to the sideline.....go put your helmet on the bench somewhere where you know it will be.......go and get a spot near the sidelines, but not too close so you don't somehow throw another interception.

Having said all of the above, I don't blame Peterman one bit for this colossal failure.  It's all McDoof.  Heaven knows what he was thinking when he made the decision to give Peterman the start in the first place.  It was painfully obvious the kid just isn't ready and won't be this year.....especially with this offensive line.

2 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

If the defense is crap because Dareus got traded there's no answer for that.  If it is as simple as "gap integrity" then McDermott better get his on it.  As far as the offense Dennison either needs to get canned or find some inner creative bone in his body.  Come out and throw the ball from a 4 WR set every down.  How about a good old fashion screen game, remember the one Gailey used to kill other teams with?  There are things that could be done to be better.  What is frustrating is that, at least on offense anyways, I don't think Dennison is capable. 

Mmmm.  There's usually an answer.  It just needs to come from an "inner creative bone" in the DC's body :P

In fact I typed an answer and decided to hold off and see if I could entice someone who knows more to hold forth. 

I agree with you about Dennison.

57 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I think the D line is shot.  A few years ago you had Mario Williams, Dareus, and Kyle near his prime.   Hughes got to be a finesse player.   No one pushed them around.   Now there's a weaker Kyle, a no-name substitute for Marcell and  no Mario.   It looks to me like the defensive line is being pushed off the ball on every play, because they simply don't have the strength to hold their ground.   That leaves one offensive lineman and a blocking back free to attack the middle linebacker and someone else, and that's why the defense is getting gashed by running backs.   That's not "gap integrity" and I don't see that coaching is going to help.   Add to that a middle linebacker who's too slow for the position that McD wants him to play, an outside linebacker who's a pass rusher and mediocre in other areas, and an old journeyman linebacker.   McD can coach all he wants, I  think that line is in trouble.   Dareus, when he was on the field, was the one guy who could stabilize things.  If McDermott understood what was going on with his defense, he NEVER would have allowed the Dareus trade.   He allowed it because, just like in the case of Peterman, he thought he had a replacement who could play.   In both cases he was horribly wrong.  

I really am worried now that McD is just a kid playing at being a head coach.   Now he's not naming a starter for Sunday.    Does he think he's going to get some spectacular advantage out of not announcing a starter?   I could be the Chiefs' defensive coordinator.   I'd get up in front of my team and say the following:

"Boys, Taylor will be the starter.   Even McDermott isn't stupid enough to put that kid out there again.   So our defense will be just like in practice against Alex Smith, except Smith is about four times better.  Taylor will run like Alex.  Keep him in the pocket, and he'll eat the ball.  

"AND, if McDermott is even stupider than I think he is and puts in Peterman, pound the hell out of him every time he goes back to pass.

"We'll be fine.   Take the rest of the day off."

Edited by Shaw66

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who is this oracle so wise in the ways of Billshood survival? Is he the chosen one, sent to lead us through the never ending desert?

I shall do as you say wise man!

1 hour ago, Figster said:

thanks for the research

Stroopwaffles or quarterbacks, or both?

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Once he started in with the sack feeding frenzy, I would have run at Bosa. Put a lineman on him to hold him and then have my fullback put his helmet in Bosa's stomach. Immaterial if Shady made it through or not. Maybe we get some 3 and outs but it would have given Bosa something to think about besides eating my QB for breakfast.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Once he started in with the sack feeding frenzy, I would have run at Bosa. Put a lineman on him to hold him and then have my fullback put his helmet in Bosa's stomach. Immaterial if Shady made it through or not. Maybe we get some 3 and outs but it would have given Bosa something to think about besides eating my QB for breakfast.

If we had a lineman who could hold Bosa for long enough for the fullback and his helmet to get there, we might have had more success in the passing game.

Whoooooeeeee. 

Why are the Chargers 4-6 with that on the roster?  4 games by 3 points or less - Field goal kicker got the Yips or something?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we had a lineman who could hold Bosa for long enough for the fullback and his helmet to get there, we might have had more success in the passing game.

Whoooooeeeee. 

Why are the Chargers 4-6 with that on the roster?  4 games by 3 points or less - Field goal kicker got the Yips or something?

week one their old kicker got on blocked to send it to OT. week 2 he missed a 40 some yarder to win it vs Miami... they could very easily be 6-4 or better.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think the D line is shot.  A few years ago you had Mario Williams, Dareus, and Kyle near his prime.   Hughes got to be a finesse player.   No one pushed them around.   Now there's a weaker Kyle, a no-name substitute for Marcell and  no Mario.   It looks to me like the defensive line is being pushed off the ball on every play, because they simply don't have the strength to hold their ground.   That leaves one offensive lineman and a blocking back free to attack the middle linebacker and someone else, and that's why the defense is getting gashed by running backs.   That's not "gap integrity" and I don't see that coaching is going to help.   Add to that a middle linebacker who's too slow for the position that McD wants him to play, an outside linebacker who's a pass rusher and mediocre in other areas, and an old journeyman linebacker.   McD can coach all he wants, I  think that line is in trouble.   Dareus, when he was on the field, was the one guy who could stabilize things.  If McDermott understood what was going on with his defense, he NEVER would have allowed the Dareus trade.   He allowed it because, just like in the case of Peterman, he thought he had a replacement who could play.   In both cases he was horribly wrong.  

I really am worried now that McD is just a kid playing at being a head coach.   Now he's not naming a starter for Sunday.    Does he think he's going to get some spectacular advantage out of not announcing a starter?   I could be the Chiefs' defensive coordinator.   I'd get up in front of my team and say the following:

"Boys, Taylor will be the starter.   Even McDermott isn't stupid enough to put that kid out there again.   So our defense will be just like in practice against Alex Smith, except Smith is about four times better.  Taylor will run like Alex.  Keep him in the pocket, and he'll eat the ball.  

"AND, if McDermott is even stupider than I think he is and puts in Peterman, pound the hell out of him every time he goes back to pass.

"We'll be fine.   Take the rest of the day off."

What I do not get and you seem level headed enough to entertain my craziness ........... can you really completely contain Taylor. I want to preface this though.  If you have a conservative and super predictable coach pounding it into his head to stay in the pocket and make the throws then yes, you know where to find Taylor.  If you had a coach with an ounce of creativity tell me you couldn't get Taylor out of the pocket a few times for a few big gains a game.  Taylor rips off 2 or 3 runs of 15 or 20 yards and now rushing 5 and using cover 3 isn't such a good idea.  I still can't figure out why the screen game is working better in these situations also.  Put 4 WR's out there and let McCoy run routes underneath it.  Not swing passes, not dump offs, let McCoy come out one side and flash back through the middle.  You get the feeling that Dennison brings a very small tool box to work on Sundays and only plans on using 2 or 3 of the tools in it.  You watch NE and the offense changes 3 times in one qtr completely based off what personal the defense has on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you have nailed it most astutely, except for the nit I think quickness not strength is what's gone down for Kyle (he's always been undersized.  he made his career being quicker to get into a leverage position, then strong enough to hold it).  Dareus was the only guy on that line who could handle two blockers, and who could hold his place.

That said, I did see a Cover-1 analysis of a couple Saints (I think it was) plays where our LB didn't correctly adjust their assignments to pre-snap movement, leaving no one covering a gap.   There's no reason why both physically overmatched DL AND gap integrity can't both be problems.

At the risk of sounding like an echo, both the Dareus trade and the Peterman start have me questioning the player personnel assessment and/or communication by our new regime.  Is McWrestler creating so much of a "can do...never say never" culture that the DL coach and the QB coach are afraid to dole him the straight dope and say "Boss, ship Dareus out and we're going to be eating d*ck every run" or "Boss, this kid has no idea how to handle pressure, put him in against Ingram and Bosa and this line and it's gonna be fugly"?  Or has he hired people who really don't know?

20 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

What I do not get and you seem level headed enough to entertain my craziness ........... can you really completely contain Taylor. I want to preface this though.  If you have a conservative and super predictable coach pounding it into his head to stay in the pocket and make the throws then yes, you know where to find Taylor.  If you had a coach with an ounce of creativity tell me you couldn't get Taylor out of the pocket a few times for a few big gains a game.  Taylor rips off 2 or 3 runs of 15 or 20 yards and now rushing 5 and using cover 3 isn't such a good idea.  I still can't figure out why the screen game is working better in these situations also.  Put 4 WR's out there and let McCoy run routes underneath it.  Not swing passes, not dump offs, let McCoy come out one side and flash back through the middle.  You get the feeling that Dennison brings a very small tool box to work on Sundays and only plans on using 2 or 3 of the tools in it.  You watch NE and the offense changes 3 times in one qtr completely based off what personal the defense has on the field.

Of course you can't completely contain Taylor - if he's used correctly and somewhat creatively, with some misdirection and some runs built into his reads as options.

Have you seen screen plays?  I haven't, but I haven't seen every snap of every play. 

What I've seen from Dennison is exactly what you've said, a small (and not very confusing) tool chest.  At the risk of sounding like a shill for Cover-1 (they have good stuff and I'm not associated, I promise!) they had a good piece pointing out that Dennison was slow and late to figure out the coverages the Saints were using and counter with effective plays.

Decent article from PFF

"This season, Taylor also showed that he could succeed in an offense that wasn’t built around his unique skillset. The Bills under their current regime haven’t run the exotic option looks or run/pass options (RPOs) they did over the past couple of years, and yet Taylor continued to grade well and be efficient.

When the defense was playing well, the team was winning games. As soon as that defense began to get gashed, Taylor isn’t the quarterback that can overcome opposing offenses in a shootout, but that’s like replacing your air conditioning unit because it can’t keep your house cool when the back wall collapses – not really addressing the root cause of the problem."

Taylor-3-Year-Grade-768x432.jpg

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-statistical-case-for-tyrod-to-remain-starter-in-buffalo?utm_content=buffer13fbf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

18 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Decent article from PFF

"This season, Taylor also showed that he could succeed in an offense that wasn’t built around his unique skillset. The Bills under their current regime haven’t run the exotic option looks or run/pass options (RPOs) they did over the past couple of years, and yet Taylor continued to grade well and be efficient.

When the defense was playing well, the team was winning games. As soon as that defense began to get gashed, Taylor isn’t the quarterback that can overcome opposing offenses in a shootout, but that’s like replacing your air conditioning unit because it can’t keep your house cool when the back wall collapses – not really addressing the root cause of the problem."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-statistical-case-for-tyrod-to-remain-starter-in-buffalo?utm_content=buffer13fbf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

I have doubts about PFF but let's assume this is a reasonable assessment (I think it is).  That's what I think is such a disaster to have made the Peterman move. The Bills have a serviceable qb that they've now relatedness the trash heap, forcing them to be in the market next year for a qb.  That wasn't necessary. 

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have doubts about PFF but let's assume this is a reasonable assessment (I think it is).  That's what I think is such a disaster to have made the Peterman move. The Bills have a serviceable qb that they've now relatedness the trash heap, forcing them to be in the market next year for a qb.  That wasn't necessary. 

I would disagree only that, until you have a QB who is able to carry the team on his arm, I think you'd better be in the market for a QB next year.

It's notable that in the last 10 years, lacking an established starter, the Bills have used 5 picks (5,4,1,7,3) on a QB.

The Pats**, with an entrenched starter who is arguably one of the greatest, have also used 5 picks (3,2,3,7,3) on a QB.

Essentially, a team that does not need a QB, has invested more draft resources in finding one, than a team that needs one.

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would disagree only that, until you have a QB who is able to carry the team on his arm, I think you'd better be in the market for a QB next year.

It's notable that in the last 10 years, lacking an established starter, the Bills have used 5 picks (5,4,1,7,3) on a QB.

The Pats**, with an entrenched starter who is arguably one of the greatest, have also used 5 picks (3,2,3,7,3) on a QB.

Essentially, a team that does not need a QB, has invested more draft resources in finding one, than a team that needs one.

I bet I agree with you on this one, more than YOU agree with you.

I need to not get started on it though because I would baffle Freud himself on how much that bugs me.

"Zo, it is not your mutter, nor your papa at ze root of your deepest trauma? It is because ze Buffalo Billz refuze to draft ze quarterback??

Zees makes no sense Mr Meanie."

I gotta let it go. 

And people will actually disagree in large numbers. They will find me dead of a stroke at my keyboard with a pile of waffles at my feet.

I can't have that debate in my delicate weakened condition I tell ya!

So will leave it at, the Bills do not have bad luck for 20 years. It is not bad luck. There is no curse. The Bills lose because of the things the Bills do.

Off to my happy place.

2 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

the Bills do not have bad luck for 20 years. It is not bad luck. There is no curse. The Bills lose because of the things the Bills do.

I just may take that as my .sig quote

Don't eat stroopwafels at this time of night.  You'll be buzzing around the ceiling. They're a morning food.  (And post- football games, as needed)

On 11/20/2017 at 2:14 PM, Maine-iac said:

I think they made a few moves too many, at least for this season.  Every move right up until trading Dareus seemed almost genius but they went to the well one too many times.  Dareus left and the defense left with him.  No defense means the games aren't even close.  Tyrod can get you a play or two in a close game.  McCoy can get you a play or two in a close game.  We aren't going to win games where the other team is scoring 30 plus points and certainly not if they are doing it on the ground.  They got full of themselves and walked the team over the cliff for this season.  Then next season ........... what then?  Literally rebuilding the roster?  Getting that franchise QB?  Dennison will groom him on offense?  When was the last great Dennison QB, maybe Schaub in Houston 2012?  I think it got good and then it got out of control and maybe it's all a little bigger than McDemott can handle right now.

There's a very reasonable argument that the Dareus move was a bad trade.

But there's little to no argument that Dareus' loss is what tipped the defense over to awful. Dareus was playing I believe less than 25% of snaps. And the defense didn't look very different when he was on the sidelines. What's happened is that people have figured out how to attack this defense. They've figured out that the LBs are an exploitable weakness and how to do it. And that the CBs outside of maybe White are also just not good enough.

As for Dennison, it's not fair to ask when his last great QB was. Have any of the QBs he was handling looked better pre- or post-Dennison? He didn't have good raw materials. I don't know how good he is or isn't, but with a good QB, his scheme might look a lot better. The question is whether we can get him a good QB.

Well, actually, that's not the question, that's one of many questions.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Decent article from PFF

PFF said, "Taylor also showed that he could succeed in an offense that wasn’t built around his unique skillset." Really?

Wow. I would not call that success, I really wouldn't. A 6.6 YPA? An offense that's 30th in yards and 19th in points? As always, Tyrod has been very successful at not throwing INTs, but that's about where his success has ended. He's been consistently inconsistent and guys who play like that tend to become unemployed or backups sooner rather than later.

PFF said, "When the defense was playing well, the team was winning games." The word they used was "well." But when this team was winning games the defense was playing out of it's mind terrific. You don't give the credit for those wins to the offense and QB who were being pretty unproductive.

I certainly agree that Tyrod is now and has been the Bills best option to win games this season. But they ought to be looking for a better option and doing it like their hair is on fire. And I have stopped caring about this season. They aren't going to be good this year. I wish they had done a complete rebuild before the season.

9 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Everything is so hard for the Bills passing offense. Everything from this Coaching Staff is it has to be the right play, called at the right time, executed to perfection. Like it's a science experiment. 

Nothing comes easy for the Bills. Common NFL staples like the flare, the slant, crossing routes, button hooks, are off the table because it takes years of timing on those patterns.

Our QBs still aren't allowed to change plays at the line. When our offense is bad, first thing out of McDermott's mouth is we could establish a rhythm in the run game. We got behind in the sticks. If it's 3rd and 8 with this team, it might was we'll be 3rd and 54. Because this team will run a draw and punt.

Which brings me back to Jauron. McDermott speaks like him, he coaches like him, he acts like him, and Beane is following suit. 

Speaks like him - Watch the tape, correct mistakes. Always getting better everyday. If it was that easy Coach why have the defeats gotten worse every week? 34 allowed, 47 allowed, 54 allowed! 

Coaches like him - Playing 10 yards off every WR like they're Randy Moss. Weak, whimpy game plans where Tolbert is getting carries and dump offs, the Saints game opened with sideways throws to McCoy. Waiting for other team to turn the ball over so we can kick field goals (see McDermott kicking a field goal down 44-7). The Saints attacked a wimpy, weak, lame game plan. 

Acts like him - Constant non-answers to the questions he is being asked. Constant obsession with Special Teams. Obsessed with character and experience over talent. Starting Ducasse every week like fans don't see that the guy is hurting the team, thinking than the same 3 linebackers can just play all season with no depth (Mitchell, Crowell/Poslusny, Ellison), picking up bottom tier NFL players just because they play Specisl Teams. 

On 11/20/2017 at 8:56 AM, Ayjent said:

Are players like Dareus really a cancer in the locker room? Seems to me that there may be something to losing the locker room when Dareus was traded, and possibly this miscalculation by the FO and coaching staff may have a part in this team nose diving.  By some accounts Dareus was well liked by his peers, and maybe just maybe the FO and coaching staff have been in scramble mode (trading for Benjamin, benching Tyrod despite awful OL play in front of him).

To me, teams just don't go south like that unless there is something more going on beneath the surface.  Maybe it was that trading Dareus fractured the locker room when people started speaking more freely about how they felt about him when he was gone, or how some players viewed the Front Office and coaching staff.  It could have simply been a breaking point where many issues that were bubbling came to a head followed by a bad outing and then the bottom falls out. 

I don't agree with coaching that puts scheme above all else, because you are always going to have to adjust not only to your talent, but also to how teams attack your schemes.  Inflexibility in scheme is problematic for both of those reasons, because its an easy cop out to point to talent when things don't work, when in fact the scheme is flawed as well.  And to be honest any scheme that doesn't work as well as another with the players you have is flawed.

Good thoughts all around. Post more. 

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree the Bills were in the market for a QB next year in any case.   I think the Peterman move last Sunday closed the door on Taylor being the QB beyond 2018 (maybe even beyond 2017), so it makes the QB search much more urgent.   Now the Bills have to use the 2018 draft to get their starting QB for 2019, and that becomes the number 1 priority in the draft.   If they'd just kept Taylor as a starter, they could have been much more flexible in their approach, taking a QB as he presented himself, maybe late first round, maybe second round, maybe not until 2019 or even 2020.   

A month ago, before the Benjamin trade, I thought the future looked pretty clear:  renegotiate Taylor's deal and keep him for several more years, knowing he's not great but, as I said, serviceable, and used those six picks in the first three rounds to rebuild the lines, and maybe also looking for McCoy's replacement.   Hope to get a bunch of those 2018 draft picks into the lineup in 2018, and by 2019 you have a lot of seasoned young players.   Also probably pick up a free agent or two.   In the meantime, you're hoping that Taylor continues to develop in the areas where he's currently deficient.  And, as I said, be on the lookout for a good QB prospect somewhere in the draft without trading up.   

Now they've given up one draft pick for a player who's going to be a free agent after 2018 and who will be looking at a Bills team that in all likelihood won't have a QB.   So the Bills went from a team a QB and six high draft picks to a team without a QB and five high draft picks.    

Gotta say, I'm really enjoying talking about this with you.   And, to backtrack a little, I agree with you that the problem with the defense certainly could be BOTH talent and gap integrity.   And the problem with Williams most likely is quickness, not strength.   I hadn't thought that carefully about it write it clearly - I was just thinking that Williams isn't as "strong" a player as he used to be, not so much in the physical sense as in the effectiveness sense.   

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Everything is so hard for the Bills passing offense. Everything from this Coaching Staff is it has to be the right play, called at the right time, executed to perfection. Like it's a science experiment. 

Nothing comes easy for the Bills. Common NFL staples like the flare, the slant, crossing routes, button hooks, are off the table because it takes years of timing on those patterns.

Our QBs still aren't allowed to change plays at the line. When our offense is bad, first thing out of McDermott's mouth is we could establish a rhythm in the run game. We got behind in the sticks. If it's 3rd and 8 with this team, it might was we'll be 3rd and 54. Because this team will run a draw and punt.

Which brings me back to Jauron. McDermott speaks like him, he coaches like him, he acts like him, and Beane is following suit. 

Speaks like him - Watch the tape, correct mistakes. Always getting better everyday. If it was that easy Coach why have the defeats gotten worse every week? 34 allowed, 47 allowed, 54 allowed! 

Coaches like him - Playing 10 yards off every WR like they're Randy Moss. Weak, whimpy game plans where Tolbert is getting carries and dump offs, the Saints game opened with sideways throws to McCoy. Waiting for other team to turn the ball over so we can kick field goals (see McDermott kicking a field goal down 44-7). The Saints attacked a wimpy, weak, lame game plan. 

Acts like him - Constant non-answers to the questions he is being asked. Constant obsession with Special Teams. Obsessed with character and experience over talent. Starting Ducasse every week like fans don't see that the guy is hurting the team, thinking than the same 3 linebackers can just play all season with no depth (Mitchell, Crowell/Poslusny, Ellison), picking up bottom tier NFL players just because they play Specisl Teams. 

I never really thought much about it, but I think you're absolutely correct about this.   Fans complained that Jauron's philosophy was "playing not to lose," and McDermott is very much in the same mold.   Bend don't dreak defense, conservative offense to run the clock, keep the game close so that you have a shot to win in the end.   In retrospect, the Jaguars game told us all we needed to know.   McDermott didn't open up the offense until literally the last drive or two.  It was completely clear that he was content to be behind so long as he trailed by less than two scores.   Then, late in the game, he opened up the offense and the Bills actually threatened to tie it.   In the following weeks, we saw the same things.  

That's a good philosophy to follow when your team isn't competitive in the talent category.    Play conservatively and hope for something good to happen.   Maybe that's all that happened in the first seven games:  maybe the Bills were just lucky, catching the Falcons when they were stumbling around, catching Denver when THEIR wheels were falling off.  Maybe it was just luck.   And maybe Beane and McD knew it.   And maybe they traded Dareus intending to tank.   And maybe they started Peterman because they  knew the season already was in the crapper.   I'd be okay with that, but then why in the world would you trade a second for Benjamin?   If you believe you're in total rebuild mode, you don't make that move.  

You know what's really maddening about this, from the offensive side?   Rex comes in and says it's going to be ground and pound.   He brings in a run-oriented offensive coordinator.   One game into his second season, he fires the offensive coordinator, the Bills open up the offense, at least relatively speaking, and the offense flourishes, at least relatively speaking.  McD comes in and brings in a run-oriented offensive coordinator who takes away much of what Taylor does best and asks him to succeed doing the things he isn't so so good at.   And what is that ?  It's staying in the pocket.   And you know what's amazing about that?   Look around the league - offensive lines all over the league are struggling to protect their QBs in the pocket, and everyone is saying you need a mobile QB to win.  New England is the only exception.   Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Mariota, Tannehill, Wilson, Watson, Smith - those are the kind of QBs everyone wants.   Eli, Palmer, Flacco - those are the guys you don't want.   So McD brings him an OC and gives him a QB who fits  the current model, and the OC installs an offense designed to restrict the QB's mobility. 

Jauron at least had an excuse.   He didn't have a QB.