The holes in our zone defense

fridge

What happened? It wasn't long ago that we hadn't given up a passing TD all year. Now it's a guarantee.

It looks to me like all it takes is an experienced veteran QB, and they will be able to pick apart this defense.

It's not a necessarily innovative defense, but we won 5 of our first 7 because they were opportunistic and played fast to their spots even if they were caught out of position.

This board is having too much fun talking about which of our QBs sucks more right now, so it's nice to actually see a thread discussing why we lost today: the defense!

For some reason it became BROKEN in the Jets game and has gotten steadily worse since then, with no sign of repair in sight.

Had Tyrod played the entire game today, we easily would have lost, just in a different fashion and with fewer turnovers.

Score may still have been about the same.  Tyrod can't score either.

Until the defense gets fixed big time, this team doesn't win another game this year.

How can Frazier be this bad? That’s the only thing I can see us doing as a shake up. Firing him tomorrow and letting Mcd call the D with some assistant coach promoted to a puppet intern DC. It’s pathetic. I have been saying it since the offseason but Preston Brown and Lorenzo Alexander have to be off of the field. They are way to slow. Get Milano on the field for every defensive snap. Find another guy who can run or try and teach Humber how to play again. Brown and Alexander are killing us ever play, every game.

33 minutes ago, fridge said:

What happened? It wasn't long ago that we hadn't given up a passing TD all year. Now it's a guarantee.

It looks to me like all it takes is an experienced veteran QB, and they will be able to pick apart this defense.

It's not a necessarily innovative defense, but we won 5 of our first 7 because they were opportunistic and played fast to their spots even if they were caught out of position.

Wait.. it’s because Dareus was traded right?

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

How can Frazier be this bad? That’s the only thing I can see us doing as a shake up. Firing him tomorrow and letting Mcd call the D with some assistant coach promoted to a puppet intern DC. It’s pathetic. I have been saying it since the offseason but Preston Brown and Lorenzo Alexander have to be off of the field. They are way to slow. Get Milano on the field for every defensive snap. Find another guy who can run or try and teach Humber how to play again. Brown and Alexander are killing us ever play, every game.

When Frazier was hired, my buddy in Tampa (he's a Bucs fan) called me and laughed.  Said Frazier was an awful DC down there.  He couldn't believe the Bills hired him.  I just laughed it off thinking he'd be different here.  I guess my bud was right.

Teams just figured it out.  Instead of forcing passes into the outside zones, they're taking plays underneath in the center of the field.  The Bills pass rush is a basic as it comes.  The DEs never stunt, never twist, they just take the outside lane and get pushed past the pocket.  There's no middle push by the DTs and few blitzes. 

This defense is a bunch of sitting ducks and the coaching staff hasn't reacted to it.  They sit back and hope for a turnover.  Offenses realize if they protect the ball, they can drive all day long against McDermott's passive schemes.

35 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I'm a huge fan of advocating for coaches to be fired and then listing all the bad players they have to work with. 

I almost feel like this franchise has been losing on purpose for the last 17 years. There is just no other way around it. It is impossible to miss the playoffs for 17 straight seasons. Now it is going on 18. We have done the impossible. There is no way that one particular team could possibly be so bad at everything for nearly 20 years. Not drafting right, bad coaching hires, bad coaching decisions, constantly finding ways to lose games in the closing minutes. We have even changed ownership and it's still no different. Year after year, regime after regime, bad draft after bad draft, always finding ways to lose games that we have no business losing, there is just no other way to explain this to me. I think this franchise loves losing and making fools out of their fans and watching us all act like the sky is falling. Call me crazy, I'd like to think this is not the case but I just can't look past it anymore and until they show otherwise that is exactly what I will keep thinking.

Edited by Buffalo03