The endless rebuilding cycle

Nitro

They have spun their wheels for 20 years.  Use a high draft pick to replace a player they let go or did not resign only to use a high draft pick to replace him.   Corner backs, DTs, WRs and this list goes on.  Dareus and Watkins are the latest.  Now you have needs at WR and DT.  Next draft will be crucial.  The cycle of a new coach hired, reset the roster to fit his needs only to fire him in a year or two. Then the roster is a bunch of square pegs and round holes. In a word aggravating.  

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I think this GM/coach will stick around. They will have a long leash, unlike past Pegula hires when they relied on other people picking coaches for them.

IMO the Pegulas should be 100% hands off on both of thier franchises. After firing those teams president of course. harsh but they are rudderless with the exception of insanely deepockets. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You'd better be right or we're all in a world of ****.

The owners know this team is talent starved. Regardless of what happened the last three weeks, it isn't a Rex Ryan clown show. It's a talent-poor show. The owners will be patient while that talent is accumulated. 

1 minute ago, Best Player Available said:

IMO the Pegulas should be 100% hands off on both of thier franchises. After firing those teams president of course. harsh but they are rudderless with the exception of insanely deepockets. 

They are not rudderless at all. Both teams have serious professionals in all positions. Both teams are talent poor and in the first months of massive changes. 

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

The owners know this team is talent starved. Regardless of what happened the last three weeks, it isn't a Rex Ryan clown show. It's a talent-poor show. The owners will be patient while that talent is accumulated. 

They are not rudderless at all. Both teams have serious professionals in all positions. Both teams are talent poor and in the first months of massive changes. 

Both teams are unproven. The Sabres are hard too watch and Pegula has owned them for years now, I guess hoping the right pieces are in place for the future is all fans have. The Bills ex players for the most part are showing their talent this season all on other teams.  But I agree the franchise is talent poor. And next year in all likelyhood will be worse in the W column. Even if they 100% on draft picks. 

That said yes give this new regime 3 years. After that they can join the list of contracted FO staff still on the payroll. Pegula should have got the football guru that was rumored. Coughlin looks like a plus for the Jags right now. Signing a rookie management staff is risky. I think ownership may have figured that out now. imo.

14 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think this GM/coach will stick around. They will have a long leash, unlike past Pegula hires when they relied on other people picking coaches for them.

Ummm ... Marrone was hired before the Pegulas bought the team.  The Pegulas have nobody but themselves to blame for Rex Ryan and his clown show since they wanted him even though Whaley wanted somebody else, supposedly Hue Jackson.    I believe that the Bills used a search committee to select McDermott, and that Beane was hired after him, after the draft, possibly with McDermott's input.   Nice revisionist history, though. 

14 minutes ago, SDS said:

I agree. They aren't the first regime that's had a rocky start. I think next year will be more indicative of were their potential lies.

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

Why are both teams "talent starved"?    Oh, yeah!  :doh:  Because those "serious professionals" jettisoned almost all of the best and youngest talent on the teams in order to fill them with scrubs.  Those "serious professionals" are simply playing money ball.

This team looks no better now than when we had Chan and Fitz. We’ve spent years drafting high but we don’t have a single young stud on this team. Meanwhile McD keeps repeating the whole process thing but can anyone say what his vision is? What’s the plan really? 

27 minutes ago, Nitro said:

They have spun their wheels for 20 years.  Use a high draft pick to replace a player they let go or did not resign only to use a high draft pick to replace him.   Corner backs, DTs, WRs and this list goes on.  Dareus and Watkins are the latest.  Now you have needs at WR and DT.  Next draft will be crucial.  The cycle of a new coach hired, reset the roster to fit his needs only to fire him in a year or two. Then the roster is a bunch of square pegs and round holes. In a word aggravating.  

They traded away young talent for pennies on the dollar,  this team has almost zero young talent other maybe the rookie corner.  This is a complete mess at this point.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How do you figure? 

We are in a world of **** right now. If you can these guys and bring in people WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING you'll see a quick turn around. The problem is the Bills are so inept they don't bring in people who know what they are doing. 

You just answered your own question. The one thing this team hasn’t tried is giving a crew a minimum of five years. DO IT.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Ummm ... Marrone was hired before the Pegulas bought the team.  The Pegulas have nobody but themselves to blame for Rex Ryan and his clown show since they wanted him even though Whaley wanted somebody else, supposedly Hue Jackson.    I believe that the Bills used a search committee to select McDermott, and that Beane was hired after him, after the draft, possibly with McDermott's input.   Nice revisionist history, though. 

Brandon pushed for Ryan or maybe you just forgot that? The search committee had McDermott selected in the group and then the Pegulas chose from there. If you are going to correct me - get your **** right.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

This team looks no better now than when we had Chan and Fitz. We’ve spent years drafting high but we don’t have a single young stud on this team. Meanwhile McD keeps repeating the whole process thing but can anyone say what his vision is? What’s the plan really? 

McDermott and Beane have stripped the team of talent the way Jauron did.  Chan inherited Jauron's expansion team and actually added some talent.  Whaley added more ... and McDermott and Beane have remedied that in short order.

31 minutes ago, SDS said:

amazing. cheers to 5 more years without success

Thanks Pegula.