How quickly does love turn to hate?

Maine-iac

Two games ago I loved the McDermott hire.  Still do for the most part.  I loved it because I more than anything hated watching other teams score 25 points on us week in and week out.  It's my own opinion but I'd rather lose in a dogfight where the defense plays well and it's close.  It's also fairly demoralizing to see the other team assert their will on you.  That said the last couple of weeks have me scratching my head.  Now here we are at 5 and 4.  Winning record in the hunt for the playoffs and we are making a QB change.  For many this is very welcome and to them I'd say I'm not opposed except for a couple different reasons.  I'm not opposed not because I think Tyrod can't play.  I'm not opposed because I think Dennison can't coach.  If Peterman does well, and let's hope he does.  Then it was simple.  Dennison couldn't coach Tyrod and we switched and all is well.  If Peterman fails hard then we have a bad coach, a bad attempt at fixing the bad coaching.  Then if McDemott can't get the defense corrected we now have numerous questionable roster moves and numerous questionable coaches.  All this when just 2 weeks ago I thought Buffalo had finally turned a corner.  I say all this because for anyone who's been a fan for decades, especially the last decade, this is the repeating story and I ask myself how did I fall for it again?  How do we start so many seasons with hope and then fall flat on our faces?  How is it we always get worse as the season goes on?

I see other teams adapt and get better.  NE is the best example.  I can't tell you how many times their defense has come out flat to start a season and yet every year they finish top ten in keeping the other team from scoring.  I want that.  They run or pass completely based on what the other team is doing.  We run the same stupid offense no matter what.  At least last year and the year before we ran the same stupid offense no matter what but it worked most of the time.   I am worried this offense just isn't going to work regardless of QB.  If Taylor and then Peterman isn't working, then we draft some "franchise" QB and throw him to Dennison and that doesn't work we are really creating a huge void and dedicating seasons and resources to a problem that may always be coaching.

Look at the Rams this season.  They put McVay with Philips.  I almost could have told you before they played a game that they would be a good team.  We year after year put a team on the field that doesn't compete on both sides of the ball and it almost always starts with coaching.  If they could have kept Gailey with Pettine or Schwartz with Roman or Lynn with Frazier now maybe we'd be somewhere.  I just have this terrible sinking feeling.  Hopefully I'm wrong and Peterson is the fit Dennison needs otherwise we will have problems until the jettison Dennison.

It comes back to taking McDermott and Beane at their word: want to win now with an emphasis on the future.  

The roster moves this week demonstrate that they are trying to win now and get into the playoffs.  Regarding the future, we'll have to see how the draft and FA goes.  I believe they have a plan, it will take a couple more seasons for it to play out, so they need a little more time.

People always point back to NE regarding adjustments mid season.  That's fine, but NE has a process and philosophy that has worked for what, 17 years?  I think we're on our way to that, but it will not happen immediately; it can't.

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Look at the Rams this season.  They put McVay with Philips.  I almost could have told you before they played a game that they would be a good team. 

I'm sorry, but I'm calling bull **** on this. NO ONE saw this coming. Not you, not any analyst, no one.

• Like (+1) 2

I certainly wouldn't have told you they'd be 7 - 2 but yes I would have said they would be good.  Wade Phillips has put a top 10 defense on the field everywhere he played and give McVay talent like Gurly, Watkins, Woods and Kupp with a good TE also.  Not hard to predict.  I more likely would have guessed another season to be where they are now but that combination of coaches is easy.  Bring in McDaniels here and I highly doubt we are averaging 20.4 ppg.

11 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Look at the Rams this season.  They put McVay with Philips.  I almost could have told you before they played a game that they would be a good team.  We year after year put a team on the field that doesn't compete on both sides of the ball and it almost always starts with coaching.  If they could have kept Gailey with Pettine or Schwartz with Roman or Lynn with Frazier now maybe we'd be somewhere.  I just have this terrible sinking feeling.  Hopefully I'm wrong and Peterson is the fit Dennison needs otherwise we will have problems until the jettison Dennison.

To me, it's pretty clear that Tyrod doesn't fit Dennison's scheme and Dennison's system doesn't fit Tyrod's abilities.  It really is all about if the system matches the players you have. Some players can play in multiple schemes, Tyrod is not one of those players.  Dennison has had success with guys in the past like Trevor Siemian who has looked like trash in a new scheme.  And let's not forget that the Rams have a ton of high draft picks at key positions...so there's that as well.  

Every time we make a coaching or GM change we lose as many talented players as we do bad players.    We also lose good coordinators and staff coaches.  too much change is bad.  The Bills are the Poster child for this. 

If I was Pegula I would stay with Beane and McD for four full years.   Three to build a solid foundation and the fourth to show your a contender. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

To me, it's pretty clear that Tyrod doesn't fit Dennison's scheme and Dennison's system doesn't fit Tyrod's abilities.  It really is all about if the system matches the players you have. Some players can play in multiple schemes, Tyrod is not one of those players.  Dennison has had success with guys in the past like Trevor Siemian who has looked like trash in a new scheme.  And let's not forget that the Rams have a ton of high draft picks at key positions...so there's that as well.  

I am skeptical of using the word success with Dennison.  You are right though, Peterman may fit this system much better.  I don't like to stare over the cliff but if it is Dennison just sucks we need to get rid of him before we draft a "franchise" QB. 

23 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I'm sorry, but I'm calling bull **** on this. NO ONE saw this coming. Not you, not any analyst, no one.

Who knows If the Bills would have traded Sammy in return for a late 2nd round pick. They probably thought it would be between 35-40

Edited by billsfan11

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

I am skeptical of using the word success with Dennison.  You are right though, Peterman may fit this system much better.  I don't like to stare over the cliff but if it is Dennison just sucks we need to get rid of him before we draft a "franchise" QB. 

Well, I think that's what part of this move is about.  They aren't just evaluating Tyrod and Peterman but Dennison and his scheme as well.  Finding it out before the offseason starts gives them an advantage to come up with a gameplan moving into the offseason.  If Peterman plays well and we put a lot of points on the board, obviously it was Tyrod.  If Peterman doesn't do well, it may not be Dennison's fault but he will not be as comfortable in his position

46 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Two games ago I loved the McDermott hire.  Still do for the most part.  I loved it because I more than anything hated watching other teams score 25 points on us week in and week out.  It's my own opinion but I'd rather lose in a dogfight where the defense plays well and it's close.  It's also fairly demoralizing to see the other team assert their will on you.  That said the last couple of weeks have me scratching my head.  Now here we are at 5 and 4.  Winning record in the hunt for the playoffs and we are making a QB change.  For many this is very welcome and to them I'd say I'm not opposed except for a couple different reasons.  I'm not opposed not because I think Tyrod can't play.  I'm not opposed because I think Dennison can't coach.  If Peterman does well, and let's hope he does.  Then it was simple.  Dennison couldn't coach Tyrod and we switched and all is well.  If Peterman fails hard then we have a bad coach, a bad attempt at fixing the bad coaching.  Then if McDemott can't get the defense corrected we now have numerous questionable roster moves and numerous questionable coaches.  All this when just 2 weeks ago I thought Buffalo had finally turned a corner.  I say all this because for anyone who's been a fan for decades, especially the last decade, this is the repeating story and I ask myself how did I fall for it again?  How do we start so many seasons with hope and then fall flat on our faces?  How is it we always get worse as the season goes on?

I understand your frustration with the Bills if this move backfires and Peterman flames out. However I have to disagree with you in regards to the coach being a bad coach and the decision being wrong.

Outside of the Bilsl going 12-4 and winning the SB Tyrod was basically here for this year and next year we were having a new QB no matter what. I do agree that he hasn't been the best fit in the offensive system they run but he also has been very tentative this season to even throw when he does have time. JW at WGR550 made a great point that on a free down due to a penalty in the Jets game Tyrod just threw the ball out of bounds rather then trying something remotely risky. He is what he is which is a bit above average QB who will get you to the playoffs with a good team and system. This is an insanely bold move by the Bills but I respect the effort and thought because they are going for broke not settling. Honestly the last time I remember anything close to a move this seismic was Johnson for Flutie. You have to give them credit at least for not sticking with the same old as they have the last few years and trying to improve at QB despite having a stable option. Yes this can a 100% explode back at them and if it does they will deserve the flack especially if the locker room shows a lack of effort in response. But teams have figured out Tyrod and having them say "we wanted to make him a QB" is not the type of pharses you want to hear and the offense only getting the ball for 18 mins and going 3 and out hurts an already fragile D-Unit. Like I said this absolutely could explode, but I wouldn't judge this either as the end all be all for McD yet. If it does work it will be fun, we maybe make the playoffs and perhaps even have a QB that has a true chance. If it doesn't we get a new QB next year and McD/Beane really go under the microscope.

The next couple of weeks will show a lot.  The defense returns and Peterman is the quick release, west coast, passer than Dennison needs and hey we have hope beyond mid season for a change.  The run game continues to get blown up and Peterman is facing 3rd and 10 all day with Mills doing a turnstyle impression it will get ugly fast.  Even uglier if McDermott doesn't have an answer for teams running it down our throats.  I've been doing this too long and bad coaching is bad coaching.  I get it that they have a process and and a ton of draft picks but we've seen this group here now play well.  If you can't get that out of your players every week there's a problem and all the draft picks in the world will not fix that.

38 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Because Lynn would rather be the OC for Buffalo than the Head coach for LAC.  That was not a legitimate option.  

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

I see other teams adapt and get better.  NE is the best example.  I can't tell you how many times their defense has come out flat to start a season and yet every year they finish top ten in keeping the other team from scoring.  I want that.  They run or pass completely based on what the other team is doing.  We run the same stupid offense no matter what.  At least last year and the year before we ran the same stupid offense no matter what but it worked most of the time.   I am worried this offense just isn't going to work regardless of QB.  If Taylor and then Peterman isn't working, then we draft some "franchise" QB and throw him to Dennison and that doesn't work we are really creating a huge void and dedicating seasons and resources to a problem that may always be coaching.

It's easy to use NE as an example because they have the greatest QB of all time.  Everything is easier and deficiencies are masked when you have that guy under center.

I still love the coach.  All 4 of our losses are due to the offense being terrible.   The 5 wins were due to our defense getting turnovers.   The last 2 weeks the defense isn't producing turnovers for our Kicker so when our QB only throws 57 yards the entire game it's time to switch.  The last 2 weeks have been bad because the defenses forced Tyrod to throw from the pocket and he can't do it. 

I am tired of seeing one on one situations that Tyrod won't throw or open receivers being missed.

Guarantee you the WR's are giving high fives in the WR room.