Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, JM2009 said:

I think the genius who thought Tolbert would be a solid backup is the one who should get axed. 

Agree, there are 2 players on our team that are so bad they may not make another roster. Ducasse & Tolbert. How in God's name we parade them out there every week is disheartening to fans.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....sorry for the analogy but.....Dennison was OC to Kubiak BUT Kubiak was the offensive mind......Marrone was the OC to Payton BUT Payton was the offensive mind.....BOTH were empty suit OC's carrying the clipboard for the real guys with the offensive noodle......and now that Dennison is forced to stand on his OWN TWO FEET, he is as effective as Steve Fairchild (I prefer FoulCHILD) was........what has Dennison exactly shown to date?.......

This is lazy and speculative. 

Doug Pederson was an "empty suit" OC for Andy Reid and he's now running one of the top offenses in the NFL. 

I'm not going to judge Dennison on 9 games with a very limited QB. What were we supposed to do? Design an offense around Taylor like he''s Cam Newton or Vick? Sorry, he's not that dynamic and talented. And no matter what offensive design, you can only hide your QB for so long until he is going to have to make plays FROM THE POCKET. Play action is not as effective down 2 scores in the 3rd quarter. You can't move him around every pass play.

The only thing that is questionable here is the timing- IN THAT THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN SOONER. Should have started Peterman game 1. Or at least made it an open competition in camp.

If you want to talk Run-Pass-Option for Taylor - here's a tough reality: You need to be able to read the defense to effectively utilize RPO. Taylor can't do it.

If you want to talk how the Chiefs tailored their offense to Alex Smith- teams are catching up. I guarantee you that Mahomes is starting there by the end of the season.

I'm going to enjoy popcorn peter  vanilla beane and mcdorkey exit from the league....... At least when chip Kelly tried this crap he had a history of winning. This regime did not get the job based on merits might be  the pelugas like a people that look more like us

Edited by liverpoolkev

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Former Pats OC on the change

This should be rather obvious, and it was to me when I first heard about the change. I didn't expect McDermott would do it, because it's not the conservative safe play. But the reason for it should not be a mystery, especially considering that Lynn called plays for Tyrod last year and knows his limitations as well as any coach on the Bills current staff. 

1. I have a rule: no studying garbage time film. It can paint a false picture, just like preseason film. But having never seen Nathan Peterman, curiosity pushed me to watch his final 11 snaps against the Saints. Flipping through quickly, I couldn’t help but notice Peterman’s decisiveness. He attacked route combinations on time, and the ball left his hands promptly. Maybe it was because he knew the Saints would be in soft zone coverage. Even so, there was a dropback rhythm that you almost never saw with Tyrod Taylor. We’ll find out about Peterman when he takes meaningful snaps against the Chargers this Sunday. But Peterman aside, benching Taylor was understandable. I’ve documented his limitations during this season, before the season and heading into last season. It’s not surprising that a coaching staff that didn’t bring in Taylor is eager to replace him.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....sorry for the analogy but.....Dennison was OC to Kubiak BUT Kubiak was the offensive mind......Marrone was the OC to Payton BUT Payton was the offensive mind.....BOTH were empty suit OC's carrying the clipboard for the real guys with the offensive noodle......and now that Dennison is forced to stand on his OWN TWO FEET, he is as effective as Steve Fairchild (I prefer FoulCHILD) was........what has Dennison exactly shown to date?.......

I see Dennison gone next year. He had a chance to be as innovative with TT as Lynn was and he pulled a Rex. Dumped Watkins,  Woods, Gillislee, Williams etc then doubled down by asking TT to become a pocket wco qb. But he has no problem keeping Ducasse, Tolbert and DiMarco?  Really? I am excited to see Peterman but we're going nowhere offensively with RD......

Edited by LABILLBACKER

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

the question that Peterman will answer by starting the remainder of this year, is where exactly they look for a QB in the draft. If he does poorly, it will be a first round QB. If he does okay, It might still be a first round QB or 2nd round. If however he lights it up, we are looking at 5th round or later.

Brooks: Jags possess most high-end talent in NFL

Former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks knows the ins and outs of this league, providing keen insight in his notebook. The topics of this edition include:

-- Reaction to Buffalo's sudden quarterback change to rookie Nathan Peterman.

BILLS' QUARTERBACK CHANGE: How'll Peterman fit in this offense?

Peterman, the 171st overall pick this past April, is a classic pocket passer with C+ arm talent. Although he lacks the cannon to push the ball to every area of the field, he is a rhythm passer adept at getting the ball "out and up" quickly on deep throws. As a "connect the dots" passer from the pocket, Peterman is at his best working the short and intermediate areas of the field. Peterman's ability to rapidly work through progressions -- and get to his second or third option -- made him an effective passer at Pitt. He completed 61.1 percent of his passes and posted a 47:15 TD-to-INT ratio while averaging 8.3 yards per attempt during his two-year stint as a starter. Those numbers were complemented by the 518 rushing yards and three rushing scores Peterman amassed while directing Panthers' unique pro-style offense, which featured a lot of misdirection action (jet sweep) and option plays in the backfield. Although he isn't an A-level athlete or an explosive dual-threat playmaker, Peterman has enough mobility and movement skills to be a competent runner on zone-read plays and some designed quarterback runs.

Peterman could indeed be ready, generally speaking, but I have concerns about a rookie quarterback at the helm of this offense. The newly minted starter has a more traditional game that will alter the way defenses attack the Bills and their 15th-ranked running game. Instead of assigning a defender to monitor the quarterback on zone-read plays, defensive coordinators will use the extra man to crowd the box and neutralize LeSean McCoy. When this plus-one approach is combined with man coverage on the outside, the Bills could face as many as nine defenders in the box on obvious run downs.

With that in mind, Peterman must be able to threaten opponents with the deep ball to keep the safeties from creeping near the line of scrimmage. If he is able to get the ball to Kelvin Benjamin or Jordan Matthews on a handful of vertical routes, defensive coordinators will pause a bit before condensing the field with the loaded boxes. Thus, the pressure is also on the Bills' receivers to win their one-on-one battles on the outside against press coverage. Considering the lack of speed and explosiveness Benjamin and Matthews bring to the table, Peterman's back-shoulder-fade game will need to be on point for Buffalo's offense to flourish.