Whatever happened to Doug Whaley and His Crew?

BuffaloRush

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

LOL solid logic there.  Point is - Zach wasn't a player that would have made a sizable difference this year.  LIke you said, maybe NO runs for 278 yards instead of 298.  Who cares?

Yes now I remembering reading that.  I think he also said he said he wasn't sure if he would stay in football.  Isn't it odd how Monos and Fisher simply disappeared into the either?  At one time when the Bills looked good, Monos was rumored to be in consideration for a GM or Ass. GM position.  Funny how things change.

Maybe the Saints still would have crushed them but Zach Brown has 14% more tackles than the guy that is 2nd in the entire NFL. His skill is speed. In our system he was a phenomenal fit that we let walk out of the door twice those offseason. It was a mistake.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

I assure you, that's incorrect.

I can't find the tweet, but here's Yolo referencing it.

He signed for $2.5M. What he wanted is irrelevant. What he signed for is the market.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe the Saints still would have crushed them but Zach Brown has 14% more tackles than the guy that is 2nd in the entire NFL. His skill is speed. In our system he was a phenomenal fit that we let walk out of the door twice those offseason. It was a mistake.

He signed for $2.5M. What he wanted is irrelevant. What he signed for is the market.

And he preferred his role with the Skins.  Saw the same thing happen with Maclin.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

And he preferred his role with the Skins.  Saw the same thing happen with Maclin.

No, Maclin’s wife preferred to be home for similar money. Find somewhere where Zach Brown preferred his role with the Skins and share it. I am curious to read about it because I hadn’t heard that.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

No, Maclin’s wife preferred to be home for similar money. Find somewhere where Zach Brown preferred his role with the Skins and share it. I am curious to read about it because I hadn’t heard that.

Him preferring his role with the Skins is an assumption because we offered comparable money but he wasn't happy with his role here.

23 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Whaley was a witch at pro personnel, but he absolutely sucked at drafting.  He'll be back next year somewhere as director of pro personnel.

This is possible.

Don't look for him to ever work in the NFL again, however, as a GM.

That won't happen.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

No venom....Just wondering what happened to these guys.  Like I said, Fisher and Monos have seemingly disappeared and Whaley has been very quiet. 

Whaley is a very polarizing figure among Bills fans - some will defend him whereas others disagree.  You shouldn't be surprised that his name gets both types of reactions 

No you clearly started this thread  out of some weird negative feelings you harbor towards Whaley. Go reread your first post if you need to. 

It's weird, move on. This thread has no purpose. You could have just asked if anyone knew what those guys were up to. Instead you asked it rhetorically in a sarcastic manner and called them geniuses and said they'd be scooped up right away.

Don't play stupid, and own what you say.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Truth is, we don’t know all that much behind the scenes. I could likewise write up the script for a story contradicting that... but... we are just flinging stuff at the wall. 

I do not believe rex was Whaley’s top guy. I do not know how far down the list he was.

I know for a fact he wasn't Whaley's top guy. Whaley was asked to rank the candidates after the initial round of interviews and he had Hue 1st. Don't know where Rex was. Entirely possible he was second. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know for a fact he wasn't Whaley's top guy. Whaley was asked to rank the candidates after the initial round of interviews and he had Hue 1st. Don't know where Rex was. Entirely possible he was second. 

Even worse for Whaley then--Hue is a bust.

I think it's pretty simple--if Whaley had not endorsed Rex to Pegula, then Whaley would not have been fired.  Pegula would have accepted the hiring of Rex as his own mistake and would have told Whaley "I blew it, you were right".  Instead, Pegula fired Rex apparently without much notice to his GM and then kept Whaley around only long enough to get through the draft then pushed him off the plank he had him on for those long 4 months. 

"Ultimatum" or not, both Rex and Whaley were on notice to turn things around in 2016 or they were both gone (more evidence of Pegula's displeasure with the coaching pick).  They didn't turn things around, and they are both gone--Rex before the season was over, Whaley as soon as it was convenient for Pegula and the team.

I don't see any evidence to the contrary. 

18 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

That would have been a nice combo, I agree. Regarding Rex, Whaley didn't have the balls to say no to the new owners, he had to know that Rex's big ego would lead to another defefensive system. 

I agree with this.  Rather than stand up and be the voice of reason, Whaley was more interested in keeping his job.  Any one of us could've made a solid argument for why hiring Rex was a huge step in the wrong direction, but Whaley was in a unique position to make himself heard on this & chose not to do so.  For that reason, and others, I'm glad he's gone.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2017-11-14 at 11:47 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Counting Terry's money on a beach.  But I believe he's working on some football related product outside of the NFL.

Whaley had his flaws but a lot of his players are key members on some really good teams.  He should have been allowed to pick his coach.

I don't disagree 

On 2017-11-15 at 9:02 PM, jmc12290 said:

There is zero evidence supporting this.  Whaley put Rex on the list of candidates.  Whaley interviewed Rex separately from the Pegulas and vetted him from a football standpoint.  

Whaley was the Pegulas' right arm after Marrone walked.  He was their golden boy advisor.  And to hear the story now,  we'd have to believe the guy the Pegulas gave a massive extension, effusively praised, and by all reports loved, would've been fired for having reservations about a HC candidate.  That is absolutely absurd.  It truly is.

Fake news