Lost in this game. An example of how bad the NFL rulebook is

BillsFan130

Bills have 2nd and 13 in the third quarter.

They complete a pass to clay to about the 50 yard line.

But Thompson is called for a hold and the Saints are called for roughing the passer so the flags offset.

But here's the problem...

Thomson's hold came on the 49 yard line. So if there was no roughing the passer, the bills would have been flagged for a spot foul and would have 1st and 10 from the 39 yard line.

But!...

Since the Saints roughed the passer, the flags offset, so therefore the bills had to redo the 2nd and 13 play from their own 25 yard line...

How does that make any sense?...

Basically the Saints got rewarded for roughing the passer.

The NFL seriously needs to scrap the rulebook and start over, cause some things make 0 sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I never undertstood the offsetting penalties.  Mark both of.  Hence drop 10 yards from the hold and then add the 15 yarder.  The result would have been about the same play.

But this actually rarely happens in a game anyway where this comes up.  The CHI Game though that was funny.  thought they had a TD challenged and lost the ball or something like that.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I never undertstood the offsetting penalties.  Mark both of.  Hence drop 10 yards from the hold and then add the 15 yarder.  The result would have been about the same play.

But this actually rarely happens in a game anyway where this comes up.  The CHI Game though that was funny.  thought they had a TD challenged and lost the ball or something like that.

I heard about that. Didn't he challenge it for a TD but got overturned and was a fumble the other way?

Just now, MAJBobby said:

yeah something like that

So crazy. I'll have to see the replay

Just now, row_33 said:

I don’t get how a delay of game penalty occurs and they start the game  clock and give another 25 to waste.

Lol yep, that's another flaw in the rulebook

I thought the same when this happened. Not sure about the rule but I thought why dont we just decline the roughing the passer penalty. Maybe its not allowed or maybe the refs just !@#$ed it up. The zebras were terrible today not that it mattered but they were.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Wow good catch. I know the rules are crap but never thought about that being a spot foul. 

Thank you sir.

Ya i noticed it would have been a spot foul so it really stuck out to me

1 minute ago, bigbuffs said:

I thought the same when this happened. Not sure about the rule but I thought why dont we just decline the roughing the passer penalty. Maybe its not allowed or maybe the refs just !@#$ed it up. The zebras were terrible today not that it mattered but they were.

Lol I was thinking that too.

Like would they have been allowed to decline it?...

I'm assuming not but either way a ridiculous rule

31 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Bills have 2nd and 13 in the third quarter.

They complete a pass to clay to about the 50 yard line.

But Thompson is called for a hold and the Saints are called for roughing the passer so the flags offset.

But here's the problem...

Thomson's hold came on the 49 yard line. So if there was no roughing the passer, the bills would have been flagged for a spot foul and would have 1st and 10 from the 39 yard line.

But!...

Since the Saints roughed the passer, the flags offset, so therefore the bills had to redo the 2nd and 13 play from their own 25 yard line...

How does that make any sense?...

Basically the Saints got rewarded for roughing the passer.

The NFL seriously needs to scrap the rulebook and start over, cause some things make 0 sense.

Yeah, that’s a quirk of the rule book that needs to be looked at. But that was as tickytak a holding call as I’ve seen.

Here's what I think is even a stupider one than that.  A D lineman jumps off-sides, but not so far off-sides that ref blows it dead.   So the DL is heading right for the QB and likely will sack him.  A O lineman hooks (holds) the guy to stop him from sacking the QB  The result, Off-setting penalties.  To me thta'sa really dumb one.

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

There was one punt in the 2Q maybe, where I swear the NO returner waved his arms for a fair catch and then ran the ball back. Did anyone else catch that?

I cant say I did. I'll take your word for it though.

Wouldn't surprise me as the refs seemed inconsistent all day

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Here's what I think is even a stupider one than that.  A D lineman jumps off-sides, but not so far off-sides that ref blows it dead.   So the DL is heading right for the QB and likely will sack him.  A O lineman hooks (holds) the guy to stop him from sacking the QB  The result, Off-setting penalties.  To me thta'sa really dumb one.

Lol agreed 100 percent. Very good point.

I believe I saw that in the Lions game today. 

Just now, billsfan11 said:

I cant say I did. I'll take your word for it though.

Wouldn't surprise me as the refs seemed inconsistent all day

It was right in front of me, from my seat. The guy next to me and I were like “WTF was that, you can’t wave your arms for a fair catch and then advance the ball?” It’s like I was on crazy pills. (And for once I wasn’t!)

• Haha (+1) 1