Fire Brandon Beane

Klaista2k

10 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

You have got to be kidding me.

Do some of you really still not understand why Dareus was traded? When you start your argument with "Dareus was traded for nothing" you have already proved yourself an idiot and I'm no longer listening.

This seems like an extreme reaction. 

Dareus was worth more to this team, this year, warts and all, than the compensation they got for him. That's undeniable. They could have moved him in the off season (and probably gotten more for him) and kept talent on the roster for this season in a push to break the drought. Instead, the front office shipped out a malcontent with an attitude problem... who was the most talented player in that whole front seven. 

In two weeks we have seen his trade hasn't turned into "addition by subtraction" - quite the opposite. Every team now sees they can gash the Bills up the middle because they lack a run stuffing DT. It's legitimate to question the thinking of that move, even if you acknowledge Dareus's warts. 

The front office made that move to the detriment of this year's team's prospects. There's no other way to look at it. Just like they did with the Watkins move. All the talk about wanting to "win now" has been shown to be hooey.

Now we are looking down the barrel of a 7-9 season, no playoffs for the 18th straight year, and this new front office and coaching staff set themselves up to take a lot of deserved flack from fans for the rest of this season and off season.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Dynasty's aren't built overnight.  I know it's been 17 years but with this regime, let's not run them out of town and see what they can do.

For clarity (cause I know it's coming), despite my above post I'm not in the camp saying fire the coach and front office. You have to give them time.

I just question, deeply, most of their personnel decisions thus far.

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

For clarity (cause I know it's coming), despite my above post I'm not in the camp saying fire the coach and front office. You have to give them time.

I just question, deeply, most of their personnel decisions thus far.

Guys like Tolbert are bridge players that they are familiar with until they address the position in the offseason.  Sammy and Marcel were guys that you'd have to pay a ton of money to and are guys their teammates looked up to, if those two don't buy into the system then that spreads over the whole team.  Ragland doesn't fit the scheme.  Darby is a press corner and didn't buy into the process.  It's all about the future and having "their guys" in the building.  Instead of trying to build around the talent we have like we've done for 17 years maybe they decided to change things up and now they are actually gonna give a front office some time to get their guys in the building and see if they can build something?

• Like (+1) 1

You can't replace Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Marcel Dareus, Gilmore, Darby, Gillislee, Seymour, Ragland, Robey, & Zach Brown in one off-season.  And even if you are going to try, players like Humber/Holmes/Thorton/Washington are not adequate replacements.  

My best guess since seeing Beane make these moves is that this is going to end up being a 4-5 year rebuilding process in the end.  The front office has dumped most of the young talent on the team while at the same time barely putting us middle of the pack salary cap wise by paying a combined $26mil/year to McCoy/KW/Incognito/Alexander who if we were going to blow up the roster anyway should have also been let go during an obvious rebuilding year since none of them will be here by the time the team is ready to compete.  Instead our team got worse AND older at the same time.

I'm not convinced Beane knows what he's doing, but assuming he has some master plan, the only way I see this working out well is:

2017: build character / lean on vets to instill team work ethic.  

2018: tank begins in full / fix salary cap (we won't be drafting high enough to get our franchise QB now, and don't have the team around him if we get one)  

2019: start rebuild with what should be a high draft pick and lots of cap space

2020: add missing pieces to build off of 2019 season

2021: hopefully compete for playoff spot.

if they'd cut the older vets either instead of or in addition to the younger playmakers they could have shaved a couple years off of this plan by drafting earlier and adding another $26mil in cap space heading into next year, but I guess the front office felt it was more important to compete for 8-8 this year than to just rip the band-aid off all at once.  

If this isn't the plan,  I can't figure out what Beane is doing.  I've never seen a team go through a rebuild where all the most talented 23-27 year old players are cut/traded and all the 30-35 year old vets make the team and/or get new contracts.   In the meantime I'm trying to stay positive at 5-4 but that's tough at the moment.  When you look at this roster it looks bad just about everywhere..  

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Guys like Tolbert are bridge players that they are familiar with until they address the position in the offseason.  Sammy and Marcel were guys that you'd have to pay a ton of money to and are guys their teammates looked up to, if those two don't buy into the system then that spreads over the whole team.  Ragland doesn't fit the scheme.  Darby is a press corner and didn't buy into the process.  It's all about the future and having "their guys" in the building.  Instead of trying to build around the talent we have like we've done for 17 years maybe they decided to change things up and now they are actually gonna give a front office some time to get their guys in the building and see if they can build something?

I'm not disputing any of that. You're right. 

What's troubling, to me, is the double speak. Yes, everyone is trying to win in the NFL. No team "tanks" (not really). But for all their talk of making the team better now and in the future, their moves so far this year have all really been about the future not this year (with the exception of KB - but even that move is more for next year since he doesn't help Taylor). Coaches can't come out and say, "we're going to lose to be better next year" but this is the year the Bills SHOULD have done exactly that. 

I said in the beginning of the season this was going to be a weird year. Weird because with the stockpile of picks they have, the rumored QB class coming out, this was the year the Bills needed to either win 10 and end the drought (my preference) OR lose 12 and secure a top 5 pick. The WORST outcome possible is a middling finish of 6 to 8 wins. That assures that they're picking too late to get the difference maker they need, too late to really make a solid move up in the draft even with their second first round pick. 

We're about to get the worst case scenario here: 7 wins, a middle pick, no clarity in the QB position, and more holes than draft picks to fill them on both sides of the ball (QB, RG, RT, WR2, RB2, DT, DT, LB, LB, CB2, CB3)... 

This "rebuild" is looking like it's going to take longer than most want... and the fan blowback will be even worse now after a hot start and (what appears to be) a traditional Buffalo fizzle down the stretch. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This seems like an extreme reaction. 

Dareus was worth more to this team, this year, warts and all, than the compensation they got for him. That's undeniable. They could have moved him in the off season (and probably gotten more for him) and kept talent on the roster for this season in a push to break the drought. Instead, the front office shipped out a malcontent with an attitude problem... who was the most talented player in that whole front seven. 

In two weeks we have seen his trade hasn't turned into "addition by subtraction" - quite the opposite. Every team now sees they can gash the Bills up the middle because they lack a run stuffing DT. It's legitimate to question the thinking of that move, even if you acknowledge Dareus's warts. 

The front office made that move to the detriment of this year's team's prospects. There's no other way to look at it. Just like they did with the Watkins move. All the talk about wanting to "win now" has been shown to be hooey.

Now we are looking down the barrel of a 7-9 season, no playoffs for the 18th straight year, and this new front office and coaching staff set themselves up to take a lot of deserved flack from fans for the rest of this season and off season.  

Couldn’t have said it better.

And as you have also I’m not for firing them both, have to see the plan through but my god they have made some questionable decisions, all in the name of this supposed process.

And why the hell can they not find a serviceable RB2?!?!

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

9 games in. That's plenty of time to judge a new regime.

Clean house now while we still have a chance.

Step 1.) Fire Beane

Step 2.) Petition the League for Official Backsies on all transactions since August

Step 3.) Profit

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

This guy has done some seriously questionable ****.

Going into the season with Mike Tolbert as the backup running back... really?? I mean WTF.

Then he trades Dareus for essentially nothing and ever since that moment the defense has looked like complete ****.

I say get Beane out of here and bring in a more competent GM going forward. 

Does the Raiders game not count? I thought our defense was fantastic without Dareus in that game.  

Plus he only played 26, 30, 30 and 33 % of the defensive snaps in 4 of the 6 games he played here this year. The other 2 he played in 56 & 58 % of the defensive snaps.  

I agree about Tolbert. We need a better #2 RB desperately. 

But It's WAY too early to even think about the possibility of firing Beane. 

He came in and specifically said we would build through the draft. Then he went and assembled what looks on paper to be an all star front office, personnel and scouting staff, and has amassed a bunch of draft picks for them to use. 

How can we even discuss firing him before he's even had his first draft?  

He didn't even have a full free agency as Bills GM. He came in a couple months after free agency had started IIRC. 

IMO This year is more about getting rid of guys who aren't on board and changing the culture in the building. Next year will be more about bringing in the replacements. 

This is just the very beginning of the rebuild - getting rid of guys and collecting draft picks. Next year the actual rebuilding phase starts. So IMO it's just way too soon to be talking about firing the GM or head coach. They need 3-4 years bare minimum, and I want to see them get more like 5 years. Continuously firing people and changing the plan has got the Bills to where they've been the last 17 years. We need to stick to a plan for a change. 

15 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

You can't replace Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Marcel Dareus, Gilmore, Darby, Gillislee, Seymour, Ragland, Robey, & Zach Brown in one off-season.  And even if you are going to try, players like Humber/Holmes/Thorton/Washington are not adequate replacements.  

My best guess since seeing Beane make these moves is that this is going to end up being a 4-5 year rebuilding process in the end.  The front office has dumped most of the young talent on the team while at the same time barely putting us middle of the pack salary cap wise by paying a combined $26mil/year to McCoy/KW/Incognito/Alexander who if we were going to blow up the roster anyway should have also been let go during an obvious rebuilding year since none of them will be here by the time the team is ready to compete.  Instead our team got worse AND older at the same time.

I'm not convinced Beane knows what he's doing, but assuming he has some master plan, the only way I see this working out well is:

2017: build character / lean on vets to instill team work ethic.  

2018: tank begins in full / fix salary cap (we won't be drafting high enough to get our franchise QB now, and don't have the team around him if we get one)  

2019: start rebuild with what should be a high draft pick and lots of cap space

2020: add missing pieces to build off of 2019 season

2021: hopefully compete for playoff spot.

if they'd cut the older vets either instead of or in addition to the younger playmakers they could have shaved a couple years off of this plan by drafting earlier and adding another $26mil in cap space heading into next year, but I guess the front office felt it was more important to compete for 8-8 this year than to just rip the band-aid off all at once.  

If this isn't the plan,  I can't figure out what Beane is doing.  I've never seen a team go through a rebuild where all the most talented 23-27 year old players are cut/traded and all the 30-35 year old vets make the team and/or get new contracts.   In the meantime I'm trying to stay positive at 5-4 but that's tough at the moment.  When you look at this roster it looks bad just about everywhere..  

Washington should be cut after his shower today.

Fire Beane? WTF? He is preparing to fill a roster with new players, I don't think he has done any really questionable moves so far. He is offloading poorly performing players, contacts and making moves for the future so that his staff can fill it with players that fit their system. Just like every new staff in the history of the NFL.

The estrogen is just running wild here at the moment. The one move I thinking needs to happen going forward is that Tyrod should have played his last game as a Bills starter.

30 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

The front office is setting up for the offseason.  They don't care what we do this year.  They want to repave the roster completely and that starts by clearing cap space and acquiring draft picks.  This offseason is a huge step in this process.  McDermott isn't playing with his type of players yet.  Firing a regime within 4 years is idiotic, everyone wants to repave the roster and get guys that fit their system.  Let it play out.  They found a couple solid players this first draft, see what they can do with a full season and if theres no progress, then you can start clamoring.  

So was Beane lying to the fans when he said otherwise right after the Sammy trade?  Equally important, did Beane lie to Pegula?  Does Terry think they were sacrificing wins this season?  I’m not so sure.

Beane is definitely on the hot seat as of Jan. 1.

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So was Beane lying to the fans when he said otherwise right after the Sammy trade?  Equally important, did Beane lie to Pegula?  Does Terry think they were sacrificing wins this season?  I’m not so sure.

Beane is definitely on the hot seat as of Jan. 1.

And accomplish what?  You'll have to reset again with a new coaching staff because if the players don't fit into what the coaching staff is trying to do...it's just not gonna work.  

34 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

We're about to get the worst case scenario here: 7 wins, a middle pick, no clarity in the QB position, and more holes than draft picks to fill them on both sides of the ball (QB, RG, RT, WR2, RB2, DT, DT, LB, LB, CB2, CB3)... 

This "rebuild" is looking like it's going to take longer than most want... and the fan blowback will be even worse now after a hot start and (what appears to be) a traditional Buffalo fizzle down the stretch. 

Yep.  This ^^^^^^^ in spades.