What's the deal with John Miller?

MTBill

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Oh im not saying I believe in their rankings...

they have a lot of head scratchers 

...anybody care to dissect this Castillo's pedigree and accomplishments as an OL Coach or should we just assume it is inferior OL talent because he is the master??............

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...anybody care to dissect this Castillo's pedigree and accomplishments as an OL Coach or should we just assume it is inferior OL talent because he is the master??............

Idk it's tough 

around caching cirlces his name is thought of pretty highly 

but the execution this year leads a lot to be desired 

Castillo needs to go.  Everything else about the OLine is uncertain until that happens.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Idk it's tough 

around caching cirlces his name is thought of pretty highly 

but the execution this year leads a lot to be desired 

Here in Ravens-land, fans were not the least bit sorry to see him go.  I think of Castillo as the Ravens' revenge on us for the Lee Evans trade.

3 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Castillo needs to go.  Everything else about the OLine is uncertain until that happens.

Here in Ravens-land, fans were not the least bit sorry to see him go.  I think of Castillo as the Ravens' revenge on us for the Lee Evans trade.

Lee Evans only dropped a few passes.  Castillo's OLine scheme and coaching is going to get both Shady and Tyrod killed.

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Interesting: so far in 2017, PFF has John Miller at 39.7 ("Poor"), and Vlad Ducasse as a higher grade of poor (49).  So there is that ...

Yeah, there's a lot of hatred for Ducasse among Bills fans but neither one of these guys has played well this year. Miller appears to have been better suited for last year's scheme. I haven't concentrated on this spot but from what I've seen I thought Ducasse played better. Not really well, but better.

This kind of sudden regression sometimes happens when schemes are changed.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Didn't PFF also have Cyrus Koundjio as our most effective OT last year?  I like PFF, but sometimes - particularly with O linemen - it makes me wonder what tape they're watching.

He was.  He should be starting LT now with Glenn/Dawkins/Mills battling for the RT job.  If Glenn is healthy is a very solid LT.  But he will never be the same player.  

Supposedly Miller might not be a fit for the zone running scheme. The rest of the O-line seems to have picked it up but not Miller. I think they end up trading Miller for a later round pick, some team that runs a scheme more similar to the scheme that was run in 2015 and 2016. I can't see getting that much but at least a 6th or 7th at best a 5th. 

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He has been a key player on a lot of runs and Miller has not but what do coaches know?

We should just replace coaches with fan and media polls.

These are the same guys who were handed the league best running game two years straight, changed the scheme, and were left scratching their heads as to why the run game no longer worked.

These aren't some geniuses. They have massive egos that transcend logic. See Rex Ryan...

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

These are the same guys who were handed the league best running game two years straight, changed the scheme, and were left scratching their heads as to why the run game no longer worked.

These aren't some geniuses. They have massive egos that transcend logic. See Rex Ryan...

I habe to agree. The switch to zone blocking for the OL was a other example of a coach thinking he has a better way and we'll even be more effective!

The Rex comparison is spot on, take something really good and make your mark to improve it with an entirely different scheme = bad!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Interesting: so far in 2017, PFF has John Miller at 39.7 ("Poor"), and Vlad Ducasse as a higher grade of poor (49).  So there is that ...

Vlad actually had a really good game against the Raiders and other than that they have both sucked. 

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, there's a lot of hatred for Ducasse among Bills fans but neither one of these guys has played well this year. Miller appears to have been better suited for last year's scheme. I haven't concentrated on this spot but from what I've seen I thought Ducasse played better. Not really well, but better.

This kind of sudden regression sometimes happens when schemes are changed.

Ducasse is a 7 year pro and in each one of those years he didn't even reach the averege line for OLs. in fact he has been awul in the majority of those years. Miller looked bad this year in the new system, no doubt,  but in two years he has shown he can get better, besides we're implementing some power running schmes from last year, why change? Let him play the year out and if he's not progressing trade him. 

Edited by Fixxxer

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He has been a key player on a lot of runs and Miller has not but what do coaches know?

We should just replace coaches with fan and media polls.

That'd be fun...until the first week ended.  I'm with you...it may be hard to understand, but the coaches are the ones with access to all the tape.  They work with them every day.  They are the ones with the information, so I think they should be given the latitude to make the decision.  Hopefully McCoach can properly assess their performance and make adjustments as needed.  I find this aspect of his coaching tenure fascinating.  He was canned as a DC by Andy Reid.  Will he can his assistants when it is necessary or will he be ultra loyal (like Wade Philips was)?  What if it is patently obvious that a change is needed, but he is unwilling to budge?  Should make for some good offseason conversations over the next few years!

OK, back to the subject - I trust the coaches judgment on this...for now.

9 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

T H I S ! !

9 hours ago, Elite Poster said: