Favorite Pizzerias in WNY

Buffalo716

Buffalo is known for lots of things and Pizza and wings is definitely near the top of the list

who are you favorite pizzerias in WNY?

for me... I would have to say I love Picassos

Bocces club is always great

Rivas pizza in Depew always makes a great pie

and the newest place I found is Zahz in Cheektowaga. Great pizza

• Like (+1) 2

Bocces was #1 for me. We were friends with a kid from another...Santoras? I’m not sure of the name. On Main St in Williamsville with a location, I think. 

Just Pizza opened a location in Sarasota, FL, but just never got it right. Casa de Pizza was from Buffalo there and they were GREAT, but Just Pizza just fizzled. I go to Casa de Pizza every time I go back. 

Not sure if it is still there (the owner has been trying to sell it), but La Hacienda, in Niagara Falls, was always my favorite. (No relation to Bob and John's La Hacienda.)

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Bocces was #1 for me. We were friends with a kid from another...Santoras? I’m not sure of the name. On Main St in Williamsville with a location, I think. 

Just Pizza opened a location in Sarasota, FL, but just never got it right. Casa de Pizza was from Buffalo there and they were GREAT, but Just Pizza just fizzled. I go to Casa de Pizza every time I go back. 

Sorrentino's. Not bad.  Santora's was also from the Buff area, can't remember where. They opened one in Daytona Beach. Terrible. 

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Sorrentino's. Not bad.  Santora's was also from the Buff area, can't remember where. They opened one in Daytona Beach. Terrible. 

Santoras was decent. They still have one on Transit in West Seneca I think near the apple cider mill (Myers?). 

Just now, mead107 said:

What’s on the pizza? 

If it's a good pizzeria, then it should be topped with whatever your ordered. :P

I'm a traditionalist/minimalist, with pizza. Sausage is fine. Pepperoni is good, if it's good pepperoni. Fresh basil is terrific. Others I deem "acceptable" on something named "pizza" (even if I'm not crazy about the topping) are: onions, garlic, olives, mushrooms---the standards. No pineapple, bacon (unless is pancetta), ham, teriyaki chicken, etc.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Santoras was decent. They still have one on Transit in West Seneca I think near the apple cider mill (Myers?). 

Yes, that's where it was.

Just now, mead107 said:

Buffalo chicken? 

NO!

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It was a little greasy, which was it’s second best feature coming in only behind FREE! 

Anyone know of Casa de Pizza in WNY? I know they have a location somewhere. The place in FL tasted like home

Edited by Augie

Way back when (late 70s early 80s) when La Nova was all the rage, I thought Mr Pizza (which was close to La Nova) made a better pie. Tried one years later (on Elmwood?) and it sucked.

Always liked Bocce (and Milano's I think?--Bocce offshoot), but it wasn't something I could eat all the time. It was a good "change of pace" pizza. The Kenneth Davis of pizza.

Strangely, when I return to WNY, I'm drawn more to the sheet pizza of places like Mr Ventry's and Pizza Oven in Niagara Falls. Already made (yet somehow still hot and fresh, and never under a heat lamp) and sold by the slice.

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

It was a little greasy, which was it’s second best feature coming in only behind FREE! 

Anyone know of Casa de Pizza in WNY? I know they have a location somewhere. The place in FL tasted like home

I still remember my father taking napkins from the dispenser and mopping some of the grease off the top of the Santoras pizza. We usually ate in the restaurant they had a big sit down area. And they had a Pac Man machine. 

Just now, Augie said:

Cookies are the new Mead Coins. 

I’ve seen mead’s true colors tonight. He’d sell all my campaign memos and stategies for a free lunch (probably why we’re going to lunch next week. Now it all makes sense). 

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

I still remember my father taking napkins from the dispenser and mopping some of the grease off the top of the Santoras pizza. We usually ate in the restaurant they had a big sit down area. And they had a Pac Man machine. 

Pac Man and pizza - sounds like a good dad! A great Friday night out!

(Or a slightly less gratifying Sunday morning breakfast.) 

Aren't there some brick/wood/coal oven, thin crust (real Italian style) pizzerias in WNY? When I moved back in 2002, for a couple years, I think there were one or two. I'm embarrassed to say I never got to one of them. 

As for grease, I'd rather it not be greasy. But many of the best pizzas I've ever had were greasy.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Pac Man and pizza - sounds like a good dad! A great Friday night out!

(Or a slightly less gratifying Sunday morning breakfast.) 

I never said I got to play Pac Man...my mom and dad figured going out to eat was a treat so we didn’t need a quarter to play Pac Man. But we’d go over and watch the other kids play. #scarredforlife #deprived

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

Aren't there some brick/wood/coal oven, thin crust (real Italian style) pizzerias in WNY? When I moved back in 2002, for a couple years, I think there were one or two. I'm embarrassed to say I never got to one of them. 

As for grease, I'd rather it not be greasy. But many of the best pizzas I've ever had were greasy.

Fergy’s dad figured out what the napkins were for. Rather than start with too little grease, you could manually reduce the grease to get to your desired level. A perfect system! 

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Roccos has amazing wood fired pizzas

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I never said I got to play Pac Man...my mom and dad figured going out to eat was a treat so we didn’t need a quarter to play Pac Man. But we’d go over and watch the other kids play. #scarredforlife #deprived

It made you a better, more focused and driven person. Or a psychopath, but I’m going glass half full. 

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Lol. I suppose that can be said for most Buffalo Bills fans. 

Most? Like.....most of the sun is hot? 

;)

When I get back I spend time in Williamsville before game day. Go see (the MANY) old houses and neighborhoods, etc. The Bocces by Williamsville North was not there in my day. What a savior! (Not Peterman style.) I have no idea where my parents used to go to bring back that delicious goodness!  I lived in Oakbrook for those familiar - 4 times. Bocce Pizza night by the pool was a huge summer treat! 

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

Funny you said both of those. I go to Sarasota fairly often, at least once a year. Go to Casa de Pizza all the time. It's about a mile from where I stay. The Just Pizza was a mile from where I used to stay and it sucked for some reason.

The Buffalo Casa de Pizza was by my mother's house, on Elmwood Ave, a block from Bryant Street by the old Children's Hospital. I think I heard it recently shut down but was there for 30-40 years I think. Really great food all around. 

And Bocce's was always my favorite.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’ve seen mead’s true colors tonight. He’d sell all my campaign memos and stategies for a free lunch (probably why we’re going to lunch next week. Now it all makes sense). 

Yup

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Funny you said both of those. I go to Sarasota fairly often, at least once a year. Go to Casa de Pizza all the time. It's about a mile from where I stay. The Just Pizza was a mile from where I used to stay and it sucked for some reason.

The Buffalo Casa de Pizza was by my mother's house, on Elmwood Ave, a block from Bryant Street by the old Children's Hospital. I think I heard it recently shut down but was there for 30-40 years I think. Really great food all around. 

I’m pissed that we didn’t buy my mothers condo in Sarasota from my sisters when we moved her to Atlanta. At the time it was a stretch with all of life’s other stuff. Now I look at how much financial sense it made and I’m kicking myself - and I could have had FAR better pizza than I’ve found anywhere in Atlanta! 

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

100% worth it 

it was easily was of the best pizzas I've ever had 

probably the most expensive as well :P

Well, a good pizza is worth it, IMO.

No GREAT pizza in St Augustine. There is one pretty good Italian restaurant with a wood burning pizza/bread oven, imported from Italy. They make all their own pastas, and of course, pizza. They don't have a big toppings list (very traditional Italian--no pepperoni) and no choice of size---it's probably a 10"-12" pizza. I usually get the margherita (fresh basil/mozzarella) and have them put some of their house-made spicy sausage on it.  Now, it isn't GREAT, but it is, by far, the best pizza around here. It's also about $15. But I'd rather spend the $ for good pizza, because crappy pizza isn't worth buying, no matter how cheap it is. I mean it's OK if you have to feed a bunch of kids---but fortunately, I don't have that issue.

Also, I always order my pizza "well done, crispy crust". I hate a soggy crust. I'm fine if the bottom is a bit black.

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

No GREAT pizza in St Augustine. There is one pretty good Italian restaurant with a wood burning pizza/bread oven, imported from Italy. They make all their own pastas, and of course, pizza. They don't have a big toppings list (very traditional Italian--no pepperoni) and no choice of size---it's probably a 10"-12" pizza. I usually get the margherita (fresh basil/mozzarella) and have them put some of their house-made spicy sausage on it.  Now, it isn't GREAT, but it is, by far, the best pizza around here. It's also about $15. But I'd rather spend the $ for good pizza, because crappy pizza isn't worth buying, no matter how cheap it is. I mean it's OK if you have to feed a bunch of kids---but fortunately, I don't have that issue.

Also, I always order my pizza "well done, crispy crust". I hate a soggy crust. I'm fine if the bottom is a bit black.

Bummer, a little too traditional. 

10 minutes ago, The Dean said:

You would love Rocco's then

cooked extremely well and no sogginess at all

it has the crisp dry bottom that wood fire is known for and is just grade A pizza

Definitely worth it when your back up here 

they fire their oven at 900 degrees 

Edited by Buffalo716

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

Bummer, a little too traditional. 

I do like GOOD pepperoni, like Ezzo's. But I can do without most of the fake garbage they put on most pizzas. WNY pizzerias even have a special pepperoni created especially for them:

https://www.ezzo.com/products.html

But a good crumbled spicy Italian sausage works for me, too.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You would love Rocco's then

cooked extremely well and no sogginess at all

it has the crisp dry bottom that wood fire is known for and is just grade A pizza

Definitely worth it when your back up here 

they fire their oven at 900 degrees 

YES!  To make it right, the oven has to be REALLY hot. We actually had a decent place here, for awhile. But when they were busy, their pizza was always very soggy in the middle. I'm fairly sure their ovens couldn't get hot enough to keep up with all the opening of the doors. Most great pizza ovens are open all the time, so they have to be really hot.

I make pizza at home, sometime. The best I can do is 550 convection. My pizza stone gets pretty hot, and I do OK, since I'm never opening the door while the pizza cooks. If I'm really lazy, I use these pre-made crusts, which are far better than most of the pizza in the area:

http://brooklynbred.com/pizza-crusts/

Now I want to go to Rocco's

Edited by The Dean

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I do like GOOD pepperoni, like Ezzo's. But I can do without most of the fake garbage they put on most pizzas. WNY pizzerias even have a special pepperoni created especially for them:

https://www.ezzo.com/products.html

But a good crumbled spicy Italian sausage works for me, too.

YES!  To make it right, the oven has to be REALLY hot. We actually had a decent place here, for awhile. But when they were busy, their pizza was always very soggy in the middle. I'm fairly sure their ovens couldn't get hot enough to keep up with all the opening of the doors. Most great pizza ovens are open all the time, so they have to be really hot.

I make pizza at home, sometime. The best I can do is 550 convection. My pizza stone gets pretty hot, and I do OK, since I'm never opening the door while the pizza cooks. If I'm really lazy, I use these pre-made crusts, which are far better than most of the pizza in the area:

http://brooklynbred.com/pizza-crusts/

Now I want to go to Rocco's

I would highly recommend it when your up here

they use top notch pepperoni too . The good crispy ones

man I want it now but it's not open :(

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

I was going to say not one good pizza place in Buffalo, as I am not a fan of Buffalo pizza! But will have to try this Roccos .

Having said that, growing up LaHacienda in the Falls was as close to NYC pizza as one could get, but having experienced so much great pizza since I have moved that even seems pale by comparison now.

Now I do like to go to VPN Certified pizza places if at all possible as i too like thin crust, crispy, pizza. 

http://americas.pizzanapoletana.org/

• Thank you (+1) 2