Re-Sign Jordan Matthews?

Dkollidas

6 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Just wondering if people here think they'll re-sign him? Heard this being debated on WGR this morning, so it made me curious. I do admit I wonder whether they'll want to invest money into Matthews and then more into Benjamin in another year.

Regarding being able to draft one... yes, we could, but I think right now there are bigger needs than Wide Receiver now that we've gotten Benjamin who I believe is a lower end True #1. 

Those needs include:

G/C-Replace Wood/Incognito as they age. 

DT-Replace Marcell & possibly Kyle. 

CB-depth behind White/Gaines

QB-Need a long term answer

RB- McCoy Replacement/Partner

I'm a hard-pass on Matthews.

I think he's a good player, but I believe that what they have in-house with Benjamin, Zay, and Holmes adequately covers what he brings to the table.  I am more interested in acquiring a speedster--a guy that can take the top off of a defense and take advantage of Tyrod's long-ball capabilities.  Maybe Thompson becomes that guy, but as of today, he hasn't.

As for other immediate needs, I generally agree.  I look at it this way:

Franchise QB

Backup RB

Speed WR

RG or RT depending upon where Dawkins ends up

Pass rushing DE (Shaq and LorAx simply haven't gotten the job done, and Yarbrough/Davis are situational guys)

DTx2 (even if they re-sign Worthy)

MLB (I would let Brown walk, re-sign Humber, and roll with he and Milano at Sam/Will respectively)

CB (I'm not paying Gaines; good player, but he sustains an injury in every game)

16 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The problem with investing high $$ or draft picks into Wide Receivers before getting a quarterback, is that you don't know what kind of receivers you need to have on the team.

Right now the Bills only have big/possession targets.  Which is OK if you have an offense that doesn't press down the field much. 

But if you have a big-armed QB, you really want to get some speed on the outside.

If we continue running an offense similar to this one (West Coast style), I'm OK with re-signing Matthews.  I'm not one of those guys who believes much in adding a speed guy just for show/decoy purposes.  Just get big and reliable targets who can keep the chains moving. 

That’s fine the current QB excels throwing the ball down the field. I think most expect Tyrod to start in 2018 even if they draft a guy. You have to be able to stretch the field.  They are a much better offense since adding Deonte Thompson even!!

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

No thanks.  Not at the price tag he’ll likely command (6-8 mill per year).  If we were domspemd that kind of money on a WR he better be blazing fast.  Benjamin and Jones + a draft pick or a fast FA WR.

He’s a good wr but not what this regime is looking for with KB and Zay already locked up for another year.  

KB is only "locked up" if the Bills choose to pay him $8mil next year.  I don't think that decision is made yet........I am guessing that B and MCD , however, won't pass on their "Carolina connection" guy.  (unfortunately just like Rex had a thing about former Jets on the team..any of those guys still around?)

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm a hard-pass on Matthews.

I think he's a good player, but I believe that what they have in-house with Benjamin, Zay, and Holmes adequately covers what he brings to the table.  I am more interested in acquiring a speedster--a guy that can take the top off of a defense and take advantage of Tyrod's long-ball capabilities.  Maybe Thompson becomes that guy, but as of today, he hasn't.

As for other immediate needs, I generally agree.  I look at it this way:

Franchise QB

Backup RB

Speed WR

RG or RT depending upon where Dawkins ends up

Pass rushing DE (Shaq and LorAx simply haven't gotten the job done, and Yarbrough/Davis are situational guys)

DTx2 (even if they re-sign Worthy)

MLB (I would let Brown walk, re-sign Humber, and roll with he and Milano at Sam/Will respectively)

CB (I'm not paying Gaines; good player, but he sustains an injury in every game)

Only place I might disagree is at the right price I would re-sign Gaines.  Oh and the running back for me needs to be someone they see as a potential future #1 back, not just a change of pace rotational back to spell Shady.  Because while I think Shady probably is here in 2018 I think that is probably his last year. 

Edited by GunnerBill

3 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

KB is only "locked up" if the Bills choose to pay him $8mil next year.  I don't think that decision is made yet........I am guessing that B and MCD , however, won't pass on their "Carolina connection" guy.  (unfortunately just like Rex had a thing about former Jets on the team..any of those guys still around?)

It’s not an option at this point though. It’s been picked up. I suppose that the Bills can cut him but they didn’t trade a 3rd for half of a season. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not an option at this point though. It’s been picked up. I suppose that the Bills can cut him but they didn’t trade a 3rd for half of a season. 

Yea the option is picked up.  The Bills can't not take up the option..... the Panthers made that decision.  Though my understanding is it is only fully guaranteed for injury.... so they could cut him without owing him all of the $8m.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Only place I might disagree is at the right price I would re-sign Gaines.  Oh and the running back for me needs to someone they see as a potential future #1 back, not just a change of pace rotational back to spell Shady.  

Those don't qualify as dissenting opinions Gunner--I'm with you on both.

My Gaines statement is predicated upon my belief that he'll be looking for starting CB money (a David Amerson-esque $8.5M AAV was my assumption)...that's too rich for my blood.  If he's willing to take a transition-style deal at Buster Skrine or Casey Heyward money, then I'm probably thinking harder about that.

Definitely think that the RB should be a future bellcow.  I feel better than ever about finding those guys in the mid rounds based on the last few drafts.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

We need to re-sign Gaines as well. I believe he is a FA after this season. When healthy he has been a great addition and fits well in this scheme. 

The two key words are when healthy.  He has proven that he cannot be relied upon on a week to week basis.  I hope they re-sign him, but also get another good CB based on his injury history. 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Those don't qualify as dissenting opinions Gunner--I'm with you on both.

My Gaines statement is predicated upon my belief that he'll be looking for starting CB money (a David Amerson-esque $8.5M AAV was my assumption)...that's too rich for my blood.  If he's willing to take a transition-style deal at Buster Skrine or Casey Heyward money, then I'm probably thinking harder about that.

Definitely think that the RB should be a future bellcow.  I feel better than ever about finding those guys in the mid rounds based on the last few drafts.

Hmm. Yea I saw Gaines coming in cheaper than that.  Claiborne signed for $5m, I know that was a one year deal.... but I could see Gaines somewhere in that $5-6m range.  Maybe that is wishful thinking but he doesn't exactly have 4 years of consistent production to fall back on.  

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The two key words are when healthy.  He has proven that he cannot be relied upon on a week to week basis.  I hope they re-sign him, but also get another good CB based on his injury history. 

EJ Gaines shook his head so hard in disagreement that he will miss the next 3 weeks with a neck injury.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think Buffalo would need to get a pass first QB to warrant his signing.  If they got a guy like Luck, Cousins or drafted a guy then yes.  If we are staying with Tyrod, then no.  I like Tyrod but he's not passing the ball around the yard enough to bring in that many targets.  His two favorite targets are tight end and running back at this point.