ESPN: Will the Bills' fast start fade into usual disappointment?

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29882/will-5-3-record-fade-into-usual-disappointment-for-bills-fans

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Hope has proved dangerous in Buffalo.

Fans had hope in 2004, when the Pittsburgh Steelers rested their starters in a season finale and a win could have put the Bills in the playoffs. Fans had hope in 2008, when the Bills started 5-1. They had it 2011, when a 5-2 start included a win over their long-dominant division rival New England Patriots. And they had it 2014, when the Bills' defense stifled Aaron Rodgers to improve to 8-6 by mid-December..........

8-6 traveling to the 2-14 Raiders and losing ugh that was painful. Then having that free win @NE when they didn't care.

I don't even think a loss this week is predictive of anything. But if we don't beat LAC we're screwed, imo. 5-5 with NE x2, KC, MIA x2 doesn't bode well.

Edited by theAteam

I think it's pretty simple: if we win the next 2, we can get in. We need to have 7 wins going into the final 5. Would be nice to sweep MIA and NE but I just don't see it. We can split with them though, and I think we need 10 wins or 9 wins and beat LAC.

Edited by Shotgunner

I'll say this in regards to the 2008/2011 comparisons.

First of all we obviously haven't lost against the Saints yet and might not. But if we do it will be 2 straight losses, 1st home loss, etc and the doubts will start to creep in big time with 2 straight road games where we have simply not been good this year sitting at 1-3 away from Buffalo.

Also important to point out that in 2008 and 2011, we didn't have first year coaches those seasons. Dick 'The Corpse' Jaraun was in his 3rd season and Gailey 2nd season respectively. So McD gets some benefit of the doubt because we don't know how he's going to respond yet.

Either way history does matter and despite what players, coaches, etc are saying publicly the ghosts of seasons past loom large with this franchise. In fact we were 4-2 just last season and at least half of the current roster was here when we collapsed midseason and ultimately flamed out.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

thanks OP. I was starting get concerned that there were not enough negative threads to read through this morning. you think maybe you could start another one or two to complete the day?

The problem is that the Bills have provided 17 years worth of doubt creating examples.  They way they lost to the Jets only fuels the fire in the current season.  Not only did the Jets stomp on the Bills but to make matters worse the Bills appeared to have no fight in their response.  

The fog of 17 futile seasons is hard to lift.

23 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I think it's pretty simple: if we win the next 2, we can get in. We need to have 7 wins going into the final 5. Would be nice to sweep MIA and NE but I just don't see it. We can split with them though, and I think we need 10 wins or 9 wins and beat LAC.

Totally agree, I don't care if NO is a non conference game this is a must win for the team psyche.  We need to have these next 2 to have a chance. 

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The problem is that the Bills have provided 17 years worth of doubt creating examples.  They way they lost to the Jets only fuels the fire in the current season.  Not only did the Jets stomp on the Bills but to make matters worse the Bills appeared to have no fight in their response.  

The fog of 17 futile seasons is hard to lift.

if I clung on to the past, I'd never be able to appreciate the present nor the future. sorry, I'm not the type to hang on to the past.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

if I clung on to the past, I'd never be able to appreciate the present nor the future. sorry, I'm not the type to hang on to the past.

DaBills - serious question for you my friend.

Let's say the Bills lose to the Saints and possibly another blowout loss, just curious what your mindset will be regarding this team going foward? Just another game with plenty left? Sadly this is the same old Bills? Indifferent?

Rodak wrote a nice fluff piece last week , he was due to return the favor 

BUT 

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29758/bills-surprisingly-hot-start-prompts-talk-of-playoffs-not-rebuild

Bills' hot start prompts talk of playoffs, not rebuild

Here's a look at the first half of the season for the Buffalo Bills and a preview of what to expect the second half:

First-half snapshot: Although his team took a step back with a loss last Thursday night, first-year coach Sean McDermott has the Bills riding higher than most predicted to start the season

9 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

DING DING DING 

I wouldnt be surprised if the Saints beat the Bills. They are playing great football right now. The Bills have exceeded everyones expectations and they are going to lose games this season. I think going down the stretch most of the games the Bills have a good chance in. I hope we split with the Pats. Chiefs show they can be beat. Phins could be a split or sweep. Colts and Chargers are games the Bills can win. Even if the Bills dont make the playoffs, we have seen progress, change, and we have a lot of draft picks. I like the direction they are headed in and could be a contender within a couple seasons. 

11 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

DaBills - serious question for you my friend.

Let's say the Bills lose to the Saints and possibly another blowout loss, just curious what your mindset will be regarding this team going foward? Just another game with plenty left? Sadly this is the same old Bills? Indifferent?

obviously 7 more to go. if I had any choice in wins and losses I would rather see afc/conference wins so with that said  a possible loss  to the saints would not phase me all that much, life goes on. I also haven't the capability to control a teams destiny nor claim they are the same old bills until all is said and done. I wait too long through an off season to not try and appreciate the here and now. I live for today and hope for tomorrow.

one thing you can count on from me when it comes to the future, I'm no nostradamous.

Even though the saints are NFC, a loss would be a killer to any playoff hopes.  Buffalo only has 3 losses left to play with.  Can't drop one at home vs NO.  Yes, the Saints are good but they are DUE to lose and McD has been pretty solid so far in scheming against his old NFC South rivals.  I expect the Bills to come out rejuvenated on defense and looking to dictate on offense.  I think that game vs the Jets was embarrassing to every player and coach.  BLo was pushed around on both sides.  No way they allow NO to come in here and roll out with a W.  If they do then the season is officially over and we can just play spoiler. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

If a guy does something bad to a girl in a long term relationship, like cheats on her, that girl is not going to forget the past and just turn the page.

If she stays with that guy, they are going to have to build up lots of trust, and he is going to have to prove to her that things are changing for the better.

For me, going 5-3 isn't enough trust yet, and especially after that Thursday nighter, those past 17 years of failure start to creep in my mind again.                                                                                It's good that you are optimistic, I'm just not there quite yet

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

obviously 7 more to go. if I had any choice in wins and losses I would rather see afc/conference wins so with that said  a possible loss  to the saints would not phase me all that much, life goes on. I also haven't the capability to control a teams destiny nor claim they are the same old bills until all is said and done. I wait too long through an off season to not try and appreciate the here and now. I live for today and hope for tomorrow.

one thing you can count on from me when it comes to the future, I'm no nostradamous.

Fair enough. And yes the season is far from over with another loss this Sunday but it certainly lowers the chances this team makes the playoffs significantly considering the upcoming two game road trip and them the Patriots in the next home game.

I'm still holding up hope things are truly different this year but the past looms large and will always have me skeptical until this team proves things are different.