Why did it take SO LONG to find this tandem?

Steptide

I'll admit that over the last 17 years I liked certain coach/gm tandems that we've had. Obviously they didn't pan out, but I must say that I'm overly impressed at what beane and McDermott have done this season. At times I've been annoyed with the constant player shuffling, but overall beanes player acquisitions and trades have been phenomenal.

Still don't know if I believe we're a ten win team this year, but for the first time in however long, I am completely confident in this staff. GO BILLS

Really? Which ones?

Believe it or not, I thought Gailey and nix would turn the franchise around. While they had some bad drafts, Gailey was offensive minded and loved to throw the ball which we really hadent seen under jauron. Also liked mularky and donohoe at the time

Believe it or not, I thought Gailey and nix would turn the franchise around. While they had some bad drafts, Gailey was offensive minded and loved to throw the ball which we really hadent seen under jauron. Also liked mularky and donohoe at the time

I liked TD but his coaching decisions were brutal.

I liked Rex in theory but that was a disaster.

I never liked anyone else until McBeane.

I'll admit that over the last 17 years I liked certain coach/gm tandems that we've had. Obviously they didn't pan out, but I must say that I'm overly impressed at what beane and McDermott have done this season. At times I've been annoyed with the constant player shuffling, but overall beanes player acquisitions and trades have been phenomenal.

Still don't know if I believe we're a ten win team this year, but for the first time in however long, I am completely confident in this staff. GO BILLS

Lets see how the last 9 games play out but at least on the surface it appears we have finally found the right combo of HC and GM to get this team back to the playoffs.

But after 17 long years this franchise is long overdue for a return to greatness.

Im not here to knock Tyrod or anything.

But this process only works long term if they land and develop an elite quarterback. If you wanna have a job longer than 5 years in this league youre gonna need a top 10 quarterback along with a decent roster built to fit with him. They can be a scrappy Cincinnati Bengals kinda team this way and maybe one and done in the playoffs sometimes. But not sure that buys them long term security.

Overall they have already overachieved and shocked me in many ways.

I support the trades. All of them. Didnt even doubt them when I seen them. Questioned our depth, and lack of playmakers. Then pops up Poyer, and Milano, OLeary, Holmes. They appear to have a good eye for low key playmakers who fit what they wanna do so far.

Im not here to knock Tyrod or anything.

But this process only works long term if they land and develop an elite quarterback. If you wanna have a job longer than 5 years in this league youre gonna need a top 10 quarterback along with a decent roster built to fit with him. They can be a scrappy Cincinnati Bengals kinda team this way and maybe one and done in the playoffs sometimes. But not sure that buys them long term security.

Overall they have already overachieved and shocked me in many ways.

I support the trades. All of them. Didnt even doubt them when I seen them. Questioned our depth, and lack of playmakers. Then pops up Poyer, and Milano, OLeary, Holmes. They appear to have a good eye for low key playmakers who fit what they wanna do so far.

I don't think anybody believes Taylor is the long term answer in Buffalo, including McD/Beane but obviously they are rolling with him for now.

In a perfect scenario they can stick with Taylor next year too and then unleash the beast in the form of Nathan Peterman who can develop properly as opposed to so many QB's in Buffalo that were thrown into the fire right away so to speak.

You know what they say, "Timing is everything"....and I'm pleased with how this team has fared this year thus far, and I'm encouraged by what I see from the FO to the coaching staff to what counts most, the on-field product. However, it is with cautious optimism and I think many if not all of us are in that boat....

That said, McD and Beane seemed to be a perfect match from the moment GM search was underway and McD really did rise to the top and the Pegulas took the advice of the league and used their services to locate the top HC prospects and then made their decision from there. So, they used the tools the league gave them and trusted their own "process"...also, and it sounds so cliche and tired...but sometimes, I think pieces of a puzzle just fall into place and the McD hire felt like that from the beginning and then when Beane started assembling his FO staff, it showed real promise based on the resumes of those hired.

Glad to have them on board, glad to see the return on the investment thus far, and glad to have a hope for the Bills for this season and for the next two to three seasons based on promise and prospects.

Props to them in a huge way. They managed to take our mediocre WR corps and turn it into a strength in a matter of two weeks. Was hoping for a CB, but Benjamin is a matchup nightmare with his size. Really excited about the direction this team is headed.

To me the confidence a lot of fans have has to do with finally having a streamlined message from top down. I am not sure if this is the year the drought ends or not we are only 8 weeks in, but it does look good and so does the decision making. Larger picture wise having the Owner, GM, and Coach all in unison is massive continuity wise.

If you look since the drought we have rarely had things this streamlined:

2001-2005

GM Donahoe

Coach: Williams- Mularky.

There was some unison but Ralph wouldn't spend money, Mularky didn't agree with the JP pick and quit. That said this actually was the most successful period for the team drought wise until 2014 for what that is worth. Additionally at least Ralph tried entrusting a GM with power but again I don't remember much of an identity as an organization although the defense was quite good for the most part.

2006-07

GM: Marv

Coach: Jauron

You had basically a place holding GM with Ralph calling the shots otherwise. That is not the ideal situation for any team, but I remember being excited because Marv was Marv so yea. Retrospect this hampered us big time with those drafts and Jauron being as exciting as a flake of rice. Does anyone remember what their vision or identity?

2008-09

GM: Russ Brandon

Coach: Jauron

Yea read the GM and coach and it says all you need to know. A broken compass had more direction and identity.

2010-12

GM:Buddy Nix

Coach: Gailey

To Nix's credit he knew the team needed to start from the ground up and rebuild. I think the problem was they tried rushing the rebuild once the 5-1 start happened and should've been more aggressive to get a QB drafted. I do remember Gailey wanting a fast passing attack so for that there was an identity to remember. Nix & Gailey also seemed the most on the same page we had at GM/Coach since Williams and Donahoe in 2002. Empowering Fitz was their undoing and the team's base talent was not enough which bit them hard in 2012.

2013-17

GM: Whaley

Coach: Marrone/Ryan

Marrone at least had a competent team in terms of discipline and got the team closer to the playoffs then in a long time. You could say with him and Whaley the identity was defense. Unfortunately a power struggle developed so the GM/Coach were on separate pages after year one. With Rex Ryan I am not sure Whaley even had a say in that and the amount of leaks in regards to dysfunction highlighted a pretty bad GM/Coach relationship. That said I would defend Whaley a little because Rex Ryan managed to regress a pretty good defense and the team seemed to win in spite of him a lot.

Looking at this I think we maybe had two instances where people seemed to be on the same page. The period from 2005-2010 was such a wasteland of GM/Coach and awful drafting. I have zero clue if Beane/McD will be the saviors or not, but they have started well and are operating far more competent then we have seen in a very long time which is a strong sign IMO given that most of the top teams in the league operate like that.

And McDermott claps too much

That's funny right there....

SMH. We finally have someone promising to work with, and someone complains that he claps too much..

I see the light at the end of an 18 year tunnel ahead, and definite relevance today..

Fraziers defense is another Jaurons.

Rico's Offense is bad. he s/b fired

That's funny right there....

SMH. We finally have someone promising to work with, and someone complains that he claps too much..

I see the light at the end of an 18 year tunnel ahead, and definite relevance today..

I love it.

I can make your Hands Clap!!!