"Patriot Way": Officiating Catalog

13 minutes ago, Gordio said:

When was the last time you seen the Pats lose a game because an officiating error or controversial call?

That maybe true but no one has had a better run for as long as they have in the history of the game.  That is undisputable. 

For sure, you're right about that

2 minutes ago, Gordio said:

They are the one team that if you were going to make an argument that would be the team you compare them against.  The other argument for the 49ers is they always had another good NFC team giving them battles(Giants/Redskins/Bears of the 80's/Cowboys of the early 90s).  The NFC was very top heavy in the 80's/90's.  There were 2 or 3 very good teams in that conference every year. 

Again look who the coaches were. Thats a battle of mt rushmore coaches. Who does BB have to coach against.

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

They are the one team that if you were going to make an argument that would be the team you compare them against.  The other argument for the 49ers is they always had another good NFC team giving them battles(Giants/Redskins/Bears of the 80's/Cowboys of the early 90s).  The NFC was very top heavy in the 80's/90's.  There were 2 or 3 very good teams in that conference every year. 

That's the biggest difference IMO. The Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys were all loaded with HOF caliber players and also had great coaches (also HOF level). To beat that type of talent to even get to the Super Bowl 5 times says a lot more than beating out a team like 9-7 Houston with TJ Yates at QB and half the roster injured, then beating a totally 1 dimensional Pittsburgh or Indianapolis team every year.

Also, SF went 5-0 and dominated most of their SBs. NE won every one by a razor thin margin.

One of the biggest reasons NE has been to 107 AFC Title Games is that they basically get a 2nd bye every year in the divisional round. Every year it works out that they get some 9-7 type team with a nobody in their first playoff game at QB because the AFC is so weak.

The ONLY shot we have of them playing a competitive divisional round game is if the Chargers make it there. Sadly it doesn't look like Jacksonville will fall to the 4th seed, which means it's almost a guarantee that it will be Pittsburgh/Jax, and NE/cannon fodder team in the divisional round.

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok how about the fact Gronk was pretty much malled in the Panther game the other year when a flag was thrown then picked up.

or the numerous bogus Offense PI calls when the pick is done within a yard of the line of scrimmage.

or the incomplete call on Gronk this year when he caught it in the end zone for a TD?

should I continue? All teams have bad calls go against them. The good ones know how to overcome them.

You !@#$ers invented the illegal pick play that NFL then modified the rules to allow it, so shut the hell up.

They pick all the time in the one yard window and don't get called. Go away.

edit: error. I meant outside 1 yard window. Sorry.

Edited by cba fan
error

On 10/31/2017 at 4:18 AM, BringBackFergy said:

*Wearing my tinfoil hat here*

Maybe we can revert back to this thread from time to time to see how officiating has affected the Patriots' season.

The way I see the officiating in Pats' games is this: The officials will throw flags on the Pats and their opponents...usually an equal amount. That's not the purpose of this thread.

The big difference is how the flags or non-calls are made at important times during the game. The Chargers game is a prime example. The Pats may have been flagged for a holding or an off sides a few times and the opponent feels the game is being called fair. Then the refs call an OPI on the Chargers which is a crucial call (mistake) that changes the game in the Pats favor.

Same with the Jets game. The TE maintained possession of the ball until he hit the ground (granted, he bobbled it mid air for a second but re-established possession before hitting the ground). That no TD call was a game changer. Pats fans will point to the number of flags thrown but that is meaningless when you consider the types of flags thrown against the Pats for basic holds, interference, etc. versus calls against opponents that truly affect the score (calls that negate TD's). I'd love to see some research to determine how many times a Patriots' game has been affected by the refs officiating.

So, as of October 31, 2017, the officials have affected two games in favor of the Pats:

Jets game

Chargers game

Feel free to add onto this list if I missed any.

Texans game.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, cba fan said:

You !@#$ers invented the illegal pick play that NFL then modified the rules to allow it, so shut the hell up.

They pick all the time in the one yard window and don't get called. Go away.

Wow wrong! The pick play was the fav of the Broncos.  Also umm within the  1 yard window is allowed, so why would it be called?  I love the unadulterated hate.. the empire feeds off such foolish hate so please keep hating with that logic.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Wow wrong! The pick play was the fav of the Broncos.  Also umm within the  1 yard window is allowed, so why would it be called?  I love the unadulterated hate.. the empire feeds off such foolish hate so please keep hating with that logic.

I hate Cheater fans trolling Bills boards.

Not Cheater fans per se or Cheater fans as a person. Just the act of Cheater fans trolling Bills boards.

Edited by cba fan

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

I hate Cheater fans trolling Bills boards.

Whose trolling? I have not once said a bad thing about the Bills? Heck I've been more positive than some Bills fans regarding the team.  Maybe what you don't like is when someone points out you are wrong. I mean no one likes that.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:55 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I think there are a couple of ways NFL officiating could be biased in favor of the Pats without any grand conspiracy with 100s keeping their mouths shut.

First there's the well-known "benefit of the doubt" phenomenon. When someone (a student, an athlete) has been successful, they tend to get the "benefit of the doubt" more often than not. It's not so much a deliberate effect, as that we all see what we want to see.

Second there's the "elder statesman" phenomenon. They used to call Peyton Manning "The Sheriff" for good reason - he'd forgotten more about the game than most coaches and refs know. Brady is in the same class. No ref wants to be "that guy" who blows a high profile televised call involving one of the game's elder statesmen, so there is a tendency to give Brady an ear.

Third, IIRC while refs can't bet, their friends and family can, and refs can play fantasy. It would not be totally beyond the possible for a ref to be influenced to see the game a particular way for that reason.

Best response yet and all very likely. All I know is ever since the tuck game this organization has benefited from lots of luck and many generous calls. They've been looking the other way on Gronk push offs for years....

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/31/2017 at 10:34 AM, cba fan said:

congrats even a mouse finds a hidden piece of cheese now and again.

I don't think there is a big conspiracy going on but officials are prone to favor the Pats for reasons unexplained. Be if Kraft Bellycheck Brady influence complaining and officials cowering. Offensive PI and pick plays are the worst offenses the officials let them get away with.

Pats invented the TE push off and those pick plays.

The no contact call against Chargers trumps all the others as by far the worst ever. Chargers never touched anyone. Pats ran into themselves. Worse than the "just give it to them game"

I disagree, every injustice ever in the NFL is trumped by the manufacture of the "Tuck Rule", decided a playoff game for the Pats first Super Bowl win.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Whose trolling? I have not once said a bad thing about the Bills? Heck I've been more positive than some Bills fans regarding the team.  Maybe what you don't like is when someone points out you are wrong. I mean no one likes that.

Yeah sorry you were wrong.

I realize Broncos did pick plays, but Patriots took it to a whole new level. In addition Gronk for years got away with run straight ahead push defender off turn around and catch easy pass completion. Then he cries because he gets 5 or 6 PI for a year of doing that on nearly every play. Then nearly killed Tre White because he is mad about getting held. What a whinny little baby.

If Jerry Hughes concussed every player that held him the NFL would have 7 players in concussion protocol every week.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

It was just a blanket statement. I did not go back and see if you trolled. If you are not trolling then no Hate here.

Edited by cba fan

6 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Yeah sorry you where wrong.

I realize Broncos did pick plays, but Patriots took it to a whole new level. In addition Gronk for years got away with run straight ahead push defender off turn around and catch easy pass completion. Then he cries because he gets 5 or 6 PI for a year of doing that on nearly every play. Then nearly killed Tre White because he is mad about getting held. What a whinny little baby.

If Jerry Hughes concussed every player that held him the NFL would have 7 players in concussion protocol every week.

Look it up, the broncos were using it a lot more and the Pats have not really used it in years! I'm sorry you want to blame EVERYTHING on the Pats but the truth is the Broncos were the biggest culprit of pick plays.

as for Gronk, yet another uneducated never watch more than 2 games a year and even then see glimpses of Gronk but think I see him pushing off every play fan. Fact is he gets called for O PI more than anyone else and about half of them are BS! But hey again I love the unfashionable hate..  I mean I am sure it is easier blame the big bad boogeyman for the Bills woes but the truth their is the Bills have only themselves for that. (Poor drafting, terrible coaching choices, etc)  Now trust me I know what that's like I remember the 80's and early 90's and having a team sabotaged itself constantly! 

Edited by PatsFanNH
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Look it up, the broncos were using it a lot more and the Pats have not really used it in years! I'm sorry you want to blame EVERYTHING on the Pats but the truth is the Broncos were the biggest culprit of pick plays.

as for Gronk, yet another uneducated never watch more than 2 games a year and even then see glimpses of Gronk but think I see him pushing off every play fan. Fact is he gets called for O PI more than anyone else and about half of them are BS! But hey again I love the unfashionable hate..  I mean I am sure it is easier blame the big bad boogeyman for the Avila woes but the truth their is the Bills have only themselves for that. (Poor drafting, terrible coaching choices, etc)  Now trust me I know what that's like I remember the 80's and early 90's and having a team sabotaged itself constantly! 

Now you are trolling. After never saying anything negative about the Bills before. That didn't take long, did it. LOL

Gronk is the biggest culprit of Offensive PI in the league. Yes he has calmed that down considerably in the last 2 years or so because finally the refs started calling it on him.

You are a typical delusional fan. Get "all 22" views and key on Gronk. You will see Gronk pushes and/or initiates contact every time he leaves the line of scrimmage. It is criminal. I would do the same since they only call it about less than half a flag per game over the course of the season. Approx 6 to 8 times a year.

Edited by cba fan

35 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Now you are trolling. After never saying anything negative about the Bills before. That didn't take long, did it. LOL

Gronk is the biggest culprit of Offensive PI in the league. Yes he has calmed that down considerably in the last 2 years or so because finally the refs started calling it on him.

You are a typical delusional fan. Get "all 22" views and key on Gronk. You will see Gronk pushes and/or initiates contact every time he leaves the line of scrimmage. It is criminal. I would do the same since they only call it about less than half a flag per game over the course of the season. Approx 6 to 8 times a year.

What was negative? That their past failings was caused by themselves and no one else? That's not negative that's reflecting into the past with 20/20 hine site. 

As for Gronk now I know your full of it.. but that's fine keep hating on him he will drop 200 on the Bills this week with 2 TD.. then youcan say SEE HE PUSHED  OFF.. when in reality all he did was try run threw the contact as EVERY steam tries to knock him off his route and not get a clean release.. but you in your football wisdom see it as Gronk initiating it.  Sigh maybe listen to Romo or another former player as they say "you can't let Gronk get a clean release like that" their talking about that contact! Just WOW! 

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok how about the fact Gronk was pretty much malled in the Panther game the other year when a flag was thrown then picked up.

or the numerous bogus Offense PI calls when the pick is done within a yard of the line of scrimmage.

or the incomplete bYcall on Gronk this year when he caught it in the end zone for a TD?

should I continue? All teams have bad calls go against them. The good ones know how to overcome them.

Sorry buddy,

You know how they say - "follow the money" , well who the hell has benefitted from the questionable calls? 

You come to a competitors forum and try whining about it is unfair to the Pats too. Ha Ha Ha.

You Pats fan are in for a very rude awakening when this current rein of terror has run it's course and has come to an end.

I think I hear your mother calling... bye!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, cd1 said:

Sorry buddy,

You know how they say - "follow the money" , well who the hell has benefitted from the questionable calls? 

You come to a competitors forum and try whining about it is unfair to the Pats too. Ha Ha Ha.

You Pats fan are in for a very rude awakening when this current rein of terror has run it's course and has come to an end.

I think I hear your mother calling... bye!

Huh?  This post sounds like a rant from someone who knows they lost the argument. 

whining? I was simply pointing out it happens to them as well. You sound very upset m, do you need a safe space and a blanket? Have I hurt your feelings by defending something you hate? 

As for when the Pats fade, do a little research into my post I have said more than once when that happens I'll still be a pats fan and I hope the Bills take up the reigns in the East.  

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Huh?  This post sounds like a rant from someone who knows they lost the argument. 

whining? I was simply pointing out it happens to them as well. You sound very upset m, do you need a safe space and a blanket? Have I hurt your feelings by defending something you hate? 

As for when the Pats fade, do a little research into my post I have said more than once when that happens I'll still be a pats fan and I hope the Bills take up the reigns in the East.  

Well thanks Pats fan.

I appreciate the good wishes for future Bills teams to rise up when Pats fall back. Not that i expect that to happen.

Too bad BB did not get his way to keep Graps. He would have had a good chance to keep the train rolling if BB stayed also or even if a new younger coach took over when BB retires.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I think your team wins so much it has become boring to you as a fan. It's just like being a kid living in a candy shop. None of the candy taste the same. I think secretly your a closet Bills fan and just defend the Pats stuff as a defensive mechanism because of denial. 

You put on the Pats gear but you don't get that feeling of hope at the start of the season anymore because it's the same every year for you. Top of the division and Superbowl. 

Then you pull out a Bills uniform and put it on and you feel that hope you don't get from the Pats anymore. You want the Bills to take the Patriots out so you can experience loss again. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, cba fan said:

Well thanks Pats fan.

I appreciate the good wishes for future Bills teams to rise up when Pats fall back. Not that i expect that to happen.

Too bad BB did not get his way to keep Graps. He would have had a good chance to keep the train rolling if BB stayed also or even if a new younger coach took over when BB retires.

Jimmy G been judged to harshly here IMO. As Bills fans know the first guy follow a legend usually always falls flat on their face. I hope he does well in SF! I like him as a QB A lot!

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

I think your team wins so much it has become boring to you as a fan. It's just like being a kid living in a candy shop. None of the candy taste the same. I think secretly your a closet Bills fan and just defend the Pats stuff as a defensive mechanism. 

You put on the Pats gear but you don't get that feeling of hope at the start of the season anymore because it's the same every year for you. Top of the division and Superbowl. 

Then you pull out a Bills uniform and put it on and you feel that hope you don't get from the Pats anymore. You want the Bills to take the Patriots out so you can experience loss again. 

I cheered for you guys in 3 of the 4 SB. The Bills fans were the only AFC East fans I didn't want to punch in the late 80's and early 90's at Sullivan's Stadium. You guys actually acted like you knew how I felt at the time. (Hopeless and figuring we will suck forever. Lol) 

• Like (+1) 1