CFB playoff rankings

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

They really don't have a great resume this year. They beat Miss St and LSU. Other than that i do not see it. If i do not like Ohio State getting in because of their name or the way they travel, i have to hold Bama to that same stipulation. 

In my perfect world it is UGA, Okla, Clemson/Miami , Wisc.  I am a big UGA fan . There are a lot of similarities in being a Dawg fan and a Bills fan. 

I can see that, but, regardless of whether UGA gets in this year I think they are clearly now at a level they haven’t been in awhile and with their recruiting they will be a playoff contender every year. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow, 2-loss Auburn at #2! The committee loves the wins... Clemson at 1 with the strongest resume of all basically cancels out their loss to Cuse (also their QB was hurt)

Auburn deserves all the credit in the world for the incredible late-season wins.  I wonder how much stronger they are right now compared to when they lost by eight points to Clemson on Sept. 9.

30 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Hung 40 on Georgia.

Edit: sorry, misread it.  LSU beat Auburn.

Interesting. I’m surprised LSU beat them but it’s not as bad of a loss as Iowa, Cuse, Pitt, etc like some other teams have. I believe they are worthy of the #2 spot at this point in time based on their wins and the eye test. I do think if Miami beats Clemson, they could very well both get in based on how the rankings are set up.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting. I’m surprised LSU beat them but it’s not as bad of a loss as Iowa, Cuse, Pitt, etc like some other teams have. I believe they are worthy of the #2 spot at this point in time based on their wins and the eye test. I do think if Miami beats Clemson, they could very well both get in based on how the rankings are set up.

Agree.  Clemson are the only team I think who could lose their championship game and get in.  

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not really. Auburn struggled badly for the first part of the season. They struggled out a win against Mercer, and blew 20-0 lead against LSU with really baffling play calling on offense.

In the second half of the LSU game, Auburn ran the ball 17 straight times on first down.

IIRC, Johnson was banged up in the beginning of the year.

Pure speculation on my part, after the LSU game, Gus finally gave up the play calling to his OC.

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can see that, but, regardless of whether UGA gets in this year I think they are clearly now at a level they haven’t been in awhile and with their recruiting they will be a playoff contender every year. 

The big thing that will differentiate this staff for  UGA is coaching up players once they get there. Richt had some pretty good classes come in and there are plenty of UGA players in the NFL. 

I think the playoffs are right on the money now. The easiest thing is for Clemson, Oklahoma, and Wisc to win their games this weekend. Then it will be them plus the winner of the SEC championship game in the playoffs. This weekend really is like a quarter finals. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree.  Clemson are the only team I think who could lose their championship game and get in.  

No way. There will not be 2 teams from the ACC in the playoffs. The committee knows that would be rating suicide. Not to mention they can justify a one loss Bama over 2 loss Clemson. They could also justify a two loss Ohio State or no loss Wisc over Clemson. There really is no way Clemson gets in if they lose.

There is also no way all 4 of the 'favorites' win. It just will not work out that way. Someone will be crying come Sunday night. As a UGA fan, if the Dawgs win they are in. If the Dawgs lose, i want AU in with the other three winners of the conference games. It really should be that simple*. TCU could screw it all up. It will be a fun Saturday!

Even if OSU wins Saturday which is a huge IF given the way they have played up and down this year, I just don’t think the committee will overlook their 31 point loss to Iowa. And I understand that.  While they could certainly be one of the best 4 teams in the country on any given day, you can’t have that loss on your resume no matter how many good wins you have. And even though they say they don’t take last year into consideration, the fact that OSU got blanked vs Clemson last year, and beaten solidly by Oklahoma earlier this year... those are two teams they clearly don’t measure up against. And both will likely be in the playoff. 

If they do somehow beat the committee’s #4 team convincingly on Saturday, and their resume is bolstered to the point where they are more deserving than the others, i can see that but I’m not optimistic. The committee did say last night that there wasn’t much difference between #5 and #8 teams, and that conf championships will be very important criteria in tiebreakers. But to me, seems very unlikely.  

5 hours ago, Cynical said:

Not really. Auburn struggled badly for the first part of the season. They struggled out a win against Mercer, and blew 20-0 lead against LSU with really baffling play calling on offense.

In the second half of the LSU game, Auburn ran the ball 17 straight times on first down.

IIRC, Johnson was banged up in the beginning of the year.

Pure speculation on my part, after the LSU game, Gus finally gave up the play calling to his OC.

I was surprised because LSU also really struggled early in the season. They lost to Troy. I didn’t even realize they beat Auburn. But I don’t watch as much SEC.

Edited by YoloinOhio

They are about to reveal the #4 team. I don't like either, but I would vote for Bama. One loss against Auburn on the road. If they played them at home, they would probably be 13-0.

OSU has some better wins, but I have no doubt Bama would beat Wisconsin and PSU. They also lost to Iowa by 31 (which I know no Saban-coached team would ever do).

That said, I have a hunch they will select OSU. I would favor Clemson against either team in the playoffs. Clemson probably beats OSU by 2 TDs.

1 minute ago, FLXbillsmafia said:

They are about to reveal the #4 team. I don't like either, but I would vote for Bama. One loss against Auburn on the road. If they played them at home, they would probably be 13-0.

OSU has some better wins, but I have no doubt Bama would beat Wisconsin and PSU. They also lost to Iowa by 31 (which I know no Saban-coached team would ever do).

That said, I have a hunch they will select OSU. I would favor Clemson against either team in the playoffs. Clemson probably beats OSU by 2 TDs.

See... IOWA RULE! ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.