Is this sunday the biggest game in Buffalo in years?

This game certainly looms L.A.R.G.E. for a number of reasons, but I believe this very well may be the biggest game in Buffalo during the drought. A win and the bills move into a much more commanding position at 5-2. A loss and they drop to 4-3 and lose a tie breaker to the Raiders (who would move to .500 at 4-4) and also to 3rd place in the AFC East.

Bills have started 4-2 several times in recent years (including just last year under the Ryan brothers) and have never finished better than 7-9 any of those years.

And yes the Raiders may be 3-4 so some may question this being a 'big game', but you get the sense they are primed for a run and now closer to the upstart team that made the playoffs last year.

So much to ponder, but there are definitely concerns with this matchup particularly the current injury situation with the Bills and their defense which has turned into a sieve in recent week similar to Rex's defense.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This game certainly looms L.A.R.G.E. for a number of reasons, but I believe this very well may be the biggest game in Buffalo during the drought. A win and the bills move into a much more commanding position at 5-2. A loss and they drop to 4-3 and lose a tie breaker to the Raiders (who would move to .500 at 4-4) and also to 3rd place in the AFC East.

Bills have started 4-2 several times in recent years (including just last year under the Ryan brothers) and have never finished better than 7-9 any of those years.

And yes the Raiders may be 3-4 so some may question this being a 'big game', but you get the sense they are primed for a run and now closer to the upstart team that made the playoffs last year.

So much to ponder, but there are definitely concerns with this matchup particularly the current injury situation with the Bills and their defense which has turned into a sieve in recent week similar to Rex's defense.

based on what? finally winning last week?

based on what? finally winning last week?

Yes, too much talent in Oakland. Keep in mind that even though they lost those 4 games in a row, they were 2-1 when Carr left the Broncos game with the injury. Miss next week against the Ravens and then obviously wasn't 100% against a surging Chargers squad.

The win against the Chiefs however saved their season and snapped a 5 game losing streak to the Chiefs which was huge mentally for them.

We will probably have to play our best game of the season just to have a chance in this one and no doubt Del Rio is salivating over what this defense allowed to Winston and the Bucs.

I think it's a big game, absolutely. This game means alot with regard to playoff positioning. As of right now I'd say at the end of the regular season I expect the Raiders to be one of the teams in contention for a WC, so a victory over them would give us the tiebreaker...and you're right in that a loss, and sitting at 4-3 just throws the Bills into a state of uncertainty and with far less wiggle room for the remainder of the season.

I expect the crowd to be pumped, and for the Bills to be just as pumped for what will be a huge game.

But more importantly, getting a W Sunday puts the Bills at 5-2, and I'm imagining a victory will do WONDERS for the team's confidence heading into the Jets game. If the Bills win Sunday I fully expect them to go to NY the next week and beat the Jets.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I honestly think this is the biggest game we have had during the drought. Even the 2004 Steelers season ender was only 4 years into the drought, so it wasn't quite the dark cloud hanging over the franchise that it is now. If we win this game, I think it is likely that we go to the playoffs.

I honestly think this is the biggest game we have had during the drought. Even the 2004 Steelers season ender was only 4 years into the drought, so it wasn't quite the dark cloud hanging over the franchise that it is now. If we win this game, I think it is likely that we go to the playoffs.

i dont see that at all. Its way too early to think winning this game means anything. Jmo

Yes, too much talent in Oakland. Keep in mind that even though they lost those 4 games in a row, they were 2-1 when Carr left the Broncos game with the injury. Miss next week against the Ravens and then obviously wasn't 100% against a surging Chargers squad.

The win against the Chiefs however saved their season and snapped a 5 game losing streak to the Chiefs which was huge mentally for them.

We will probably have to play our best game of the season just to have a chance in this one and no doubt Del Rio is salivating over what this defense allowed to Winston and the Bucs.

the raiders were too good to go into a 5 game slide. as many have mentioned, i think it comes down to the bills injury report. that being said, i think this is one of those games where the home field advantage is unusually large. i wouldn't be surprised if the oakland come in and beat down the bills, but the bills can certainly take one here. to be honest, i'm still unsure of exactly who this bills team is yet.

I don't know if I'd go that far to think that if we win Sunday we make the playoffs. There's too much football to be played, and maybe it's just the battered wife syndrome the Bills have given me. As encouraged as I am, I still need to see a whole lot more before I even allow myself to think about us in the playoffs. It's so sad, even if we got to 9-2, I would still probably not assume we would make the playoffs.

Usually I think every game is equally important - because that's usually the mathematical fact.

But if we win this particular game, we're 5-2 and clearly in the playoff hunt.

If we lose, we're just one of many teams floundering around .500.

I think winning this game would be tremendous for the players - their motivation, their self-confidence, their confidence in the coaching staff, their commitment, etc.

Edited by hondo in seattle

One thing I will say about this matchup, obviously we did go into Oakland last year and jumped out to a 2 score lead before one of the more epic implosions during the 17 year drought where we actually ended up losing by 2 scores. And like most fans I was sickened and disgusted by that one.

But that's also the reason I have dire concerns about this game, the defense was destroyed during Oakland's comeback last year and we are returning a lot of the same players this year and possibly going to be fielding a mash unit in the secondary.

Bottom line though is that this game is in Buffalo and true playoff teams have to win games like this on their home field. Also Oakland traditionally don't travel well to the east coast although they have had more time to get ready.