Some perspective on Taylor's season so far with a look ahead

Not a problem with the opinion here RF. But I think that what we've seen from Taylor particularly in the wins this year have been improvements noticeably on things people have been looking for him to improve upon.

There are folks here who are obsessed with yards. Absolutely obsessed. There are also old folks who are going to dismiss any of the good or amplify any of the bad let Taylor does. I think Taylor is an average NFL quarterback. That's all. I don't think he is spectacular. But he also doesn't suck ass as some folks on here believe.

You don't just throw away average NFL QBs without a clear upgrade in the immediate or near future.

I guess the rest of the year finalizes what he is. But the 2nd half of the season should help his cause.

And again, as obsessed with YARDS as some are, I'll say right here that I think his 213 yard performance was one of his 5 best as a Bill.

Would you be happy if he were consistently the QB he was against Denver, a great NFL defense, despite "just" 213 passing yards and 2 TDs?

I would.

You don't throw away average QBs. But Tyrod isn't average. He's slightly below average, somewhere around the 20 - 22 neighborhood.

And except if the guy is in his first two or three years of his career, getting thrown away is exactly what happens to those guys as teams desperately look to replace them. It's precisely the fate of that group, the group Tyrod is in.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod Taylor + Sammy Watkins and this team is undefeated this season. They could've still acquired Gaines and Matthews another way, they were both on the block.

I'm optimistic about Tyrod's chances the next two weeks against the Bucs and Raiders. We'll see what happens. Besides Shady, his top targets will be Zay Jones (approaching a record number of drops already), Nick O'Leary, Logan Thomas, and Andre Holmes. If we're lucky, an injured Jordan Matthews will be out there, too.

But damn, what could've been, if they'd kept Sammy and used a scheme that let Tyrod be Tyrod, basically Mike Vick Jr., and use more rollouts, bootlegs, options -- get Tyrod out of the pocket more with a threat to run, with Sammy deep and Shady with a short/mid route... that would be a tough attack to defend.

I too think Tyrod will play better against weaker D's but time will tell. I'm not huge on Tyrod but think he does have enough to get us to the playoffs with how the D has performed thus far. BUT, giving Tyrod no real deep threat and trading Sammy away was a mistake still IMO that might cost us playoffs this year. The lack of a deep passing threat is hindering his (TT's) performance and our running game as no D respects our deep ball at this point and just basically plays the LOS to stop Tyrod and McCoy. I'm pretty sure if we were all DC's for the NFL we scheme the exact same way on D against the Bills O with our current WR's

Don't get me wrong the draft picks are great but I'd personally rather make the playoffs.

Could we have landed Gaines (former 6th rd draft pick) with a 4th-5th rd pick with the Rams without losing Watkins? If Watkins stayed would Boldin have played another year?

How badass would have Watkins, Mathews, Boldin, Clay and Zay been? Defenses would have needed to run completely different game plans against the Bills to try and contain our WR's/TE's which in turn I believe would have completely opened up the running game and Offense again.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 or 2 Tyrod fanatics does not a cult make. Maybe you should look up a history of cults in the world. There are just as many if not more anti-Tyrod fanatics. I guess those guys are ok and not a cult because its a shared opinion.

There are more than 1 or 2. And no, I have been equally as critical of the people who hate Tyrod.

what is a so called fan like you called then?

just curious, should be interesting what you come up with.

I'm just here to watch the tank. 2019 is where it's unless Beane drafts like the Cleveland FO.

Punting on Watkins and the qb position is what it is, a total bore of a offense.

I guess Brandon Beane missed all the Clemson games somehow

Quick quiz question. The four teams Tranplant mentions in his original post as being such terrific defenses ... how many of them are in the top ten of defensive passer rating this year? Any guesses?

Uno.

Cincy at #6.

#6 Cincy 73.3

#14 Atlanta 86.6

#16 Denver 89.5

#26 Carolina 100.0

These aren't four terrific pass defenses. The Panthers have allowed 10 TDs and 1 INT. Together, all four teams have allowed a total of 31 TDs and 11 INTs.

Edited by Thurman#1

Quick quiz question. The four teams Tranplant mentions in his original post as being such terrific defenses ... how many of them are in the top ten of defensive passer rating this year? Any guesses?

Uno.

Cincy at #6.

#6 Cincy 73.3

#14 Atlanta 86.6

#16 Denver 89.5

#26 Carolina 100.0

These aren't four terrific pass defenses. The Panthers have allowed 10 TDs and 1 INT. Together, all four teams have allowed a total of 31 TDs and 11 INTs.

I think they are all pretty good at stopping the run.

Uno.

Cincy at #6.

#6 Cincy 73.3

#14 Atlanta 86.6

#16 Denver 89.5

#26 Carolina 100.0

Youve just made things interesting in this thread Thurman.

Uno.

Cincy at #6.

#6 Cincy 73.3

#14 Atlanta 86.6

#16 Denver 89.5

#26 Carolina 100.0

Tyrod Taylor is just not the type of QB that is a viable long term NFL starting QB which you are building your team around. He is clearly on the path of being the classic journeyman, stop-gap type of starting QB like Fitzpatrick has been throughout his career. Taylor has just not shown the ability to put the team on his back and win the 3-4 close games during a season in which you need your QB to pull off a win using his arm (where are the signature comeback games after 34 starts?). This is not to put him down, Fitzpatrick has carved out a great NFL career and got the most out of his limited abilities.

This is why I think that Peterman will be starting at some point this year. His ability is an unknown and that's why they will want to take a look at what he can do sooner rather than later.

Edited by 1billsfan

Not really. TT did a nice job overall in the three wins. All of these defenses, or at least three are very good against the run, which doesn't bode well when Matthews and Clay were out last game. I still find it laughable that better QBs can struggle with much better WR corps, yet our QB is supposed to put up vaunted numbers with garbage. For not the last time, with Watkins, Woods, even Clay and Matthews, TT has put up some nice numbers. It has been posted by others.

Grb, Transplant, scott7978, alphadawg, jm2009, John from Hemet, happy days.

There's at least 7 in the cult. I'm probably forgetting some.

So much nicer in here using the block feature.

what is a so called fan like you called then?

just curious, should be interesting what you come up with.

This wasn't directed at me but my opinion.

Name calling? A so called fan?

IMO he is a fan that wants better(like most of us), with the Bills in the longest playoffless loser streak in all of sports he is NOT the only one that wants better from the most important position in the NFL and he is not the only one that can see this group.

There is a difference between fans that want more/better then the ones with thick glasses that make excuses and prop up him up with threads and group postings. To compare him to Brady, Cam and so on when most of the QBs they compare to have had big games and playoffs/SBs while Tyrod well you know I'm sure.

It's good to have discussions for both sides but we are all fans and all want a trip to the SB.

He always does, I love his posts Edited by xRUSHx

Right on man, the ones missing I would think are side accounts

This wasn't directed at me but my opinion.

IMO he is a fan that wants better(like most of us), with the Bills in the longest playoffless loser streak in sports he is NOT the only one that wants better from the most important position in sports and he is not the only one that can see this group.

There is a difference between fans that want more/better then the ones with thick glasses that make excuses and prop up him up with threads and group postings. To compare him to Brady, Cam and so on when most of the QBs they compare to have had big games and playoffs/SBs while Tyrod well you know I'm sure.

It's good to have discussions for both sides but we are all fans and all want a trip to the SB.

He always does, I love his posts

Not you. They win today, instead of enjoying the win, you'll be on here complaining about the QB. When you can't enjoy a win when there are only 16 games each season, that speaks volumes.

Not really. TT did a nice job overall in the three wins. All of these defenses, or at least three are very good against the run, which doesn't bode well when Matthews and Clay were out last game. I still find it laughable that better QBs can struggle with much better WR corps, yet our QB is supposed to put up vaunted numbers with garbage. For not the last time, with Watkins, Woods, even Clay and Matthews, TT has put up some nice numbers. It has been posted by others.

Who is saying vaunted numbers? The last time with you? Thats impossible. Youll repeat this 100 more times.

Who is saying vaunted numbers? The last time with you? Thats impossible. Youll repeat this 100 more times.

I haven't posted much the last week because I'm tired of the whole thing. If the Bills win today, and Tyrod has 200 yards and a decent game, that should be good enough, and enjoy the win. We only get 16 games a year to watch and enjoy. But the wolves will be out after complaining, complaining complaining. After a tough loss, it's understandable, but tired of coming here after wins and it's not enjoyable. The majority are fine after wins, by the way, it's the few that ruin it.

Who? Himself (300 is vaunted)

The last time ? God I wish.

Repeat 100. Over under is 150.

Funny but every QB that has faced NE thus far has reached that vaunted #.

I wonder if a thread will be started on such a subject..lol

I haven't posted much the last week because I'm tired of the whole thing. If the Bills win today, and Tyrod has 200 yards and a decent game, that should be good enough, and enjoy the win. We only get 16 games a year to watch and enjoy. But the wolves will be out after complaining, complaining complaining. After a tough loss, it's understandable, but tired of coming here after wins and it's not enjoyable. The majority are fine after wins, by the way, it's the few that ruin it.

Coming from a guy who complained even after wins when Manuel was QB.

The Cult is real. It is those fans who not only need to be uber positive about Tyrod (which is fine I get that you always want to see your own QB in the best light) but to also denegrate any other young Quarterback for the purpose of pushing an agenda.

You know whats funny is Im guessing most of us on both sides have the exact same future plan for the Bills. Get better weapons on offense, bring back Tyrod and Peterman, draft a new QB somewhere in the first 2 rounds and get a competition going next year. The only disagreement is going to be which QB should we draft and how high should we draft him.

Now watch, a couple people are going to chime in and say no way we should bring Tyrod back next year, hes just a RB playing QB, blah blah blah. Tell me which people are in this cult.

Coming from a guy who complained even after wins when Manuel was QB.

Why bring up EJ? And we have to go back three years and one month for his last win. I remember being very happy after the Bills win against the bears, by the way. And Miami too.

You know whats funny is Im guessing most of us on both sides have the exact same future plan for the Bills. Get better weapons on offense, bring back Tyrod and Peterman, draft a new QB somewhere in the first 2 rounds and get a competition going next year. The only disagreement is going to be which QB should we draft and how high should we draft him.

Now watch, a couple people are going to chime in and say no way we should bring Tyrod back next year, hes just a RB playing QB, blah blah blah. Tell me which people are in this cult.

Many don't want Tyrod back because that money can be used on other positions/better QB and why bring him back when he has already lost the job. To have him around would have the few pushing for him to return, IMO this needs to be his last season, time to move on to better things. Edited by xRUSHx

Uno.

Cincy at #6.

#6 Cincy 73.3

#14 Atlanta 86.6

#16 Denver 89.5

#26 Carolina 100.0

Wait so now defenses are ranked by passer rating?

Passing Yards

CIN 2nd

DEN 6th

CAR 7th

ATL12th

Jets 15th

​Points

​CIN 2nd

DEN 8th

CAR 9th

ATL 13th

Jets 12th

Yeah these are five good to very good defenses. The Panthers faced Brees, Brady, Stafford, Wentz in consecutive weeks. That probably has a lot to do with giving up 10 TDs. 2 Elite QBs, a franchise QB that was just given the biggest contract in the NFL, and a second year QB that is playing pretty well this season.

That leaves 3 teams giving up 21 TDs which averages to 7 per team so 1.4 TDs per game. Horrible.

Many don't want Tyrod back because that money can be used on other positions/better QB and why bring him back when he has already lost the job. To have him around would have the few pushing for him to return, IMO this needs to be his last season, time to move on to better things.

Well for one he hasn't lost the job yet. For two, if he did lose the job I would rather have a trustworthy backup then some guy that may be horrible and lose us football games in case of injury.

"To have him around would have the few pushing for him to return" What few are you referring to? Are you referring to a few fans? If so, how exactly does a few fans pushing for him to return, which may not even happen, effect the Bills team?

Edited by Scott7975

Passing Yards

CIN 2nd

DEN 6th

CAR 7th

ATL12th

Jets 15th

​Points

​CIN 2nd

DEN 8th

CAR 9th

ATL 13th

Jets 12th

Yeah these are five good to very good defenses. The Panthers faced Brees, Brady, Stafford, Wentz in consecutive weeks. That probably has a lot to do with giving up 10 TDs. 2 Elite QBs, a franchise QB that was just given the biggest contract in the NFL, and a second year QB that is playing pretty well this season.

That leaves 3 teams giving up 21 TDs which averages to 7 per team so 1.4 TDs per game. Horrible.

You know that stuff is not taken into consideration! :flirt:

Uno.

Cincy at #6.

#6 Cincy 73.3

#14 Atlanta 86.6

#16 Denver 89.5

#26 Carolina 100.0

Ha ha, thread ended.

Thanks for playing!

I would perfectly okay with keeping Tyrod or dumping him this offseason.

Can you tell us a little more about how Derek Carr was average and Cooper sucked on Thursday? Because that's why you're a cult member.

Edited by jmc12290

The OP gave some real good evidence. Taylor is an above average QB. Let us fix the WR crew, OL and get the Running game going. WE are ranked #29 in the Run game. Detractors will continue to point that the Run game is bad because Taylor is bad. The only grudge I have against Taylor is that he is simply unable to bring the team a win on a 4th quarter comeback. They have all fallen short. However, Taylor is NOT our problem.

He's part of our problem, no question. And it wasn't real good evidence. Centrifuged and spun within an inch of it's life, as usual ...

Wanted to see those 11 games Transplant was talking about, and wondered why he was including Flacco (not that great), Dak (very young) and Deshaun Watson (extremely young), wondering if it was to adjust the numbers down a bit so Tyrod would be more competitive.

Yup.

Not to mention that Transplant left out Wentz, who had a great game. If you’re going to include Dak and Watson, you should include Wentz. Why was he left out? Oh, wait, leaving him out helped Transplant’s already weak argument.

Here are the four teams referred to, their schedules, and the stats for each game:

Cincy (played Baltimore, Houston, GB, Cleveland and Buffalo)

• Flacco 9/17, 121 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT 71.0
  • Deshaun Watson (in his 2nd pro game) 15/24, 125 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 75.9
  • Rodgers 28/42, 313 yards, 3 TDs, I INT 102.6
  • Tyrod 20/37, 166 yards 1 TD, 1 INT, 63.6

Denver (played Chargers, Dallas, Buffalo, Raiders and Giants)

• Rivers 22/33, 192 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT 99.6
  • Dak 30/50, 238 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 68.6
  • Tyrod 20/26, 213 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 126.0
  • Carr 10/18, 143 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs 100.0 before his injury

Carolina (played SF, Buffalo, New Orleans, NE, Detroit and Philly)

• Tyrod 17/25, 125 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 79.6
  • Brees 22/29, 220 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 131.4
  • Brady 32/45, 307 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 104.6
  • Stafford 23/35, 229 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 141.8
  • Wentz (why’s he left out? Oh, cuz he would’ve hurt Transplant’s case) 16/30, 222 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 110.7

Atlanta (played Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit, Buffalo and Miami)

• Rodgers 33/50, 343 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 90.7
  • Stafford 25/45, 264 yards, 1 TDs, 0 INTs, 80.2
  • Tyrod 12/20, 182 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 106.7

Putting those 12 games - including Wentz's - in order, by passer rating …

1) Stafford 23/35, 229 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 141.8

2) Brees 22/29, 220 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 131.4

3) Wentz (why again is he left out? Oh, cuz he would’ve hurt Transplant’s case) 16/30, 222 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 110.7

4) Brady 32/45, 307 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 104.6

5) Rodgers 28/42, 313 yards, 3 TDs, I INT 102.6

6) Carr 10/18, 143 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs 100.0 before his injury

7) Rivers 22/33, 192 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT 99.6

8) Rodgers 33/50, 343 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 90.7

Tyrod’s total as computed by Transplant goes here, with a 90.5

9) Stafford 25/45, 264 yards, 1 TDs, 0 INTs, 80.2

10) Deshaun Watson (in his 2nd pro game) 15/24, 125 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 75.9

11) Flacco 9/17, 121 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT 71.0

12) Dak 30/50, 238 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 68.6

These pass defenses simply don't come out looking good from this analysis. Not that you'd have been told that by Transplant.

That’s why he didn’t spell it out game by game as I’ve done here. Most of these games were very good, And the QBs who brought down the average were two guys in their first two years (Watson’s a rookie in his second game, actually) and Joe Flacco (who a lot of people might want to exchange for Tyrod but not many would consider any kind of a big step up). Stafford had one game at 80.2 but another at 141.8, so I don’t think you could count him as bringing the average down.

Also cracks me up that Transplant’s trying to use total yards here as an average for these guys when one of the QBs got injured early in the game (Carr, leaving Manuel to throw 17 more passes). Of course Carr didn’t have a lot of total yards. Take out Carr’s partial game and Transplant’s group averaged 239.2 yards per game (which would be 12th in the NFL) against those four defenses while Tyrod averaged 172 (which would be 28th). Wanna argue against using total yards at all? Fair enough, but it wasn’t me who brought them up, it was Transplant, trying to compare Tyrod’s average to the group average, including Carr’s partial game.

And this is all leaving out Wentz’s excellent game, and there’s a QB most of us would trade for Tyrod in a flat tenth of a second.

Edited by Thurman#1

Not you. They win today, instead of enjoying the win, you'll be on here complaining about the QB. When you can't enjoy a win when there are only 16 games each season, that speaks volumes.

Kinda like how regardless of whether we win or lose youll be arguing with the same people about the same stuff or repeating the same things over and over again?

Passing Yards

CIN 2nd

DEN 6th

CAR 7th

ATL12th

Jets 15th

​Points

​CIN 2nd

DEN 8th

CAR 9th

ATL 13th

Jets 12th

No, defenses are not ranked by defensive passer rating. But yeah, PASSING DEFENSES are very reasonably indeed ranked by passer rating.

But if you want to leave out Carolina, fine. The other three passing defenses allowed 21 TDs and 10 INTs.

Edited by Thurman#1

No, defenses are not ranked by defensive passer rating. But yeah, PASSING DEFENSES are very reasonably indeed ranked by passer rating.

But if you want to leave out Carolina, fine. The other three passing defenses allowed 21 TDs and

Which averages to 1.4 TDs per game.

21 TDs and 10 INTs. Which averages to ... bad pass defense. Far from terrific as he and you are trying to paint them.

1.4 TDs per game is bad pass defense? That's less than 10 points per game. Less than 3 TDs every 2 games. Chop it up however you want. That's not a lot.

Edited by Scott7975

1.4 TDs per game is bad pass defense? That's less than 10 points per game. Less than 3 TDs every 2 games. Chop it up however you want. That's not a lot.

Yes, a defensive TD/INT of more than two is indeed bad pass defense.

Edited by Thurman#1

Yes, a defensive TD/INT of more than two is indeed bad pass defense.

Let me repeat. Try reading carefully. I'll help.

Yes, a defensive TD/INT ratio of more than two is indeed bad pass defense.

Not really when you give up less than 2 TDs a game.

The reason people don't spend a lot of time on passing TDs per game as a stat is because it comes down to game situations, field position, time on the clock and a whole ton of other things. It only means much if it's extremely high or extremely low. On top of how many passes are thrown, a lot of it comes down to field position and whether teams close in like to run or not on short yardage. That's why people go to the ratio a lot, More indicative. INT percentage means a ton more than TD percentage. Teams don't care whether they score by pass or by run.

Tyrod's TDs/game is just about 1.25. If 1.4 was low, how about that? But he doesn't get attacked for it, for good reason. His TD/INT percentage is quite good, and he does get credit for that.

But again, those four teams have given up 31 TDs and 11 INTs. Which is really quite bad.

Edited by Thurman#1

Yes, a defensive TD/INT ratio of more than two is indeed bad pass defense.

When your passing defense ​gives up less than 2 tds a game ​its not bad pass defense.

​In any case it just goes to show you can make stats say what you want them to. Argue all you want that Denver, Carolina, and Cinci have bad defenses but you would be wrong. Stop cherry picking stats and look at the whole picture.

Edited by Scott7975