Juan Castillo Talks Bills' OL Blocking Schemes

@MatthewFairburn

Buffalo Bills OL coach explains blocking schemes, what could fix offensive line: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/10/buffalo_bills_ol_coach_explains_blocking_schemes_what_could_fix_offensive_line.html

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills of the past two years were a powerhouse rushing team that ranked in the top of the league.

This season, they enter their Week 7 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in search of answers on the offensive line. LeSean McCoy hasn't rushed for 100 yards since Week 1 since the New York Jets. He hasn't rushed for a touchdown all season long.

A common refrain for the Bills' struggles is the new blocking scheme offensive coordinator Rick Dennison brought with him. But what exactly has changed for the Bills?

While the Bills spent the majority of the 2015 and 2016 season using a "power" or "gap" scheme, this season they tried to make zone schemes the base of the offense. What's the difference? Allow Bills offensive line coach Juan Castillo to explain:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish we had a stat that showed how many of each styles they ran, to which side and what the production results were for them.

I just wish we went a different direction for OC and some of the coaches and I still think this will be a move that McD regrets should the offense continue to flounder and we don't make the playoffs.

But for better or worse we are stuck with Dennison, Castillo, etc the rest of this year.

the run game was working pretty well in the second half against Atlanta. Then the next game you replace Miller for a scrub. You need to play Miller and stop messing with the chemistry. WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE OLINE COACH FROM LAST YEAR.

Word on the street is that the Bills tried to keep him. He wanted to leave.

Kromer did a great job for the Bills. Just look at the job he doing for the Rams. Gurley looks like a new runner, the QB has time to throw. The game is won in the trenches. Right now we are losing because of scheme and not using our best five. To me fair, I didn't think we use our best five last year either, but they preformed. There is no reason Mills and Vald should playing. Best five is Glen, Richie, Wood, Miller and ROOKIE

Wasn't Kromer under contract still. Also the fact that the Bills stood by him through that mess, I find it to believe he would tell the owners no after that. The cocah wanted his guys. Remember Rico didn't hire Castillo. McDermott did. I believe he was hired before RICO

I just wish we went a different direction for OC and some of the coaches and I still think this will be a move that McD regrets should the offense continue to flounder and we don't make the playoffs.

But for better or worse we are stuck with Dennison, Castillo, etc the rest of this year.

Dennison was McD's next man up.

Kromer did a great job for the Bills. Just look at the job he doing for the Rams. Gurley looks like a new runner, the QB has time to throw. The game is won in the trenches. Right now we are losing because of scheme and not using our best five. To me fair, I didn't think we use our best five last year either, but they preformed. There is no reason Mills and Vald should playing. Best five is Glen, Richie, Wood, Miller and ROOKIE

Wasn't Kromer under contract still. Also the fact that the Bills stood by him through that mess, I find it to believe he would tell the owners no after that. The cocah wanted his guys. Remember Rico didn't hire Castillo. McDermott did. I believe he was hired before RICO

In my opinion, Dawkins is very unlikely to start at RT until Glenn is 100%. Who knows if he will ever be with his foot/feet issues. They don't want to have to pull Dawkins from right side and move him to left during a game - which is what they would want to do if Glenn went lame. If Kuandjio wasn't phsycho he would still be on the team. He would be backing up Glenn and Dawkins would be playing right side (probably).

Edited by PolishDave

Nope. McD and Castillo are old, old mates. He was his first coaching hire. He was always coming along for the ride whatever you have heard.

I was re-posting what I heard here on this forum. So it is entirely possible that it was complete B.S. :D

And if that is the case, then my opinion of McDermott just went down a notch.

Exactly what I've been saying for several weeks.

Execution has held the offense back, especially in the run game. Scheme wouldn't look so bad to some folks if those plays weren't being left on the field or negated by penalty.

Same thing with the zone read option.

What I don't necessarily agree with is the ability of the linemen. They pulled across the line frequently last year at all positions.

...nepotism is a poor excuse to hire someone over their demonstrated career achievements....and Castillo accolades are where?..............

He has been a below average OL and a terrible DC.

Exactly what I've been saying for several weeks.

Execution has held the offense back, especially in the run game. Scheme wouldn't look so bad to some folks if those plays weren't being left on the field or negated by penalty.

Same thing with the zone read option.

What I don't necessarily agree with is the ability of the linemen. They pulled across the line frequently last year at all positions.

You are absolutely right to say execution has been worse than scheme. Edited by GunnerBill