This is the most wide open season the NFL has ever had

Webster Guy

Rogers gone. Patriots are basically a 500 team, Cowboys and Raiders with much less pop than last year, Denver and Pitt mediocre. KC still tough at home but gave one away yesterday, Atlanta losing to us and the Fins at home.

The NFL odds makers have to be scratching their heads every week now. I know I am.

At this point, unless you're the niners or browns, your team can make the playoffs.

Parity is exciting. Great time for us to start a run after the bye.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crappy all around, not sure if that's something to be gleeful about.

It just means i'll watch the Bills game and possibly not a second of anything else on a given weekend.

Used to be 5 or 6 games watched with interest.

It's crappy all around, not sure if that's something to be gleeful about.

It just means i'll watch the Bills game and possibly not a second of anything else on a given weekend.

Used to be 5 or 6 games watched with interest.

I agree. I still enjoy following the Bills, but I haven't watched any other games in their entirety. Mediocrity has made the league less watchable. Even with mediocrity across the league, somehow I still envision the Pats being in it until the end.

I watched the Jets and Fish put out 3rd-rate attempts with drop-back QBs, they meant well.

Both teams played hard but they are both very mediocre.

It's no fun watching this.

Anything worse than seeing the games at 1 and they all seem to be the quality of Jags at Chargers....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1980 was a big year for wide-open, Bradshaw got hurt and the Steelers Dynasty ended.

A lot of good teams were to task and the Raiders got optimal at the right time to win it all (from a WC spot??)

But those were good teams that season. Not a pile of stinky lousy road apples out there.

Edited by row_33

Meh.

I would prefer the Bills brought themselves up to the level of a playoff team, rather than the rest of the league being so bad that we have a chance.

This season is massively boring.

Football is dying. Right in front of our eyes. First boxing, then baseball, now football. Only one sport can be king at a time, and the course of over regulation, poor product, and off field/sideline issues are decimating the ratings.

I( agree with Row 33, NFL play mediocre, rules are absurd witness the Jets/Pats game. Can anyone explain to me if he didnt have control of the ball then who can he fumble it out of bounds if he didnt have control of it? I can see no TD but how do you go from no TD directly to a fumble. Crap like that makes the NFL unwatchable for me.

Rogers gone. Patriots are basically a 500 team, Cowboys and Raiders with much less pop than last year, Denver and Pitt mediocre. KC still tough at home but gave one away yesterday, Atlanta losing to us and the Fins at home.

The NFL odds makers have to be scratching their heads every week now. I know I am.

At this point, unless you're the niners or browns, your team can make the playoffs.

Parity is exciting. Great time for us to start a run after the bye.

I feel like it always starts this way then settles in shortly into November

I( agree with Row 33, NFL play mediocre, rules are absurd witness the Jets/Pats game. Can anyone explain to me if he didnt have control of the ball then who can he fumble it out of bounds if he didnt have control of it? I can see no TD but how do you go from no TD directly to a fumble. Crap like that makes the NFL unwatchable for me.

The refs LOVE to come up with some esoteric explanation that defies the odds.

The Tuck Rule was another, how can a QB pump fake and stabilize the ball with his non-throwing hand and then get stripped and say it wasn't a fumble..

The worst was a Seahawk defender jumped on a fumble at his 2 yard line and helplessly slid into the EZ on an icy and wet turf field and got rewarded with a safety against his team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to say the call wasn't correct within the rules, but when the entire pre-game panel dudes say it was total hogwash, something is amiss...

Edited by row_33

The refs LOVE to come up with some esoteric explanation that defies the odds.

The Tuck Rule was another, how can a QB pump fake and stabilize the ball with his non-throwing hand and then get stripped and say it wasn't a fumble..

The worst was a Seahawk defender jumped on a fumble at his 2 yard line and helplessly slid into the EZ on an icy and wet turf field and got rewarded with a safety against his team.

The Tuck Rule was an abomination to the game. If I were a raider fan I think i would have never turned on another NFL game.

Pats got another yesterday.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

Could not disagree more than I do with the idea that this is mediocre/bad football. I love the parity and it is making for great football. I would attribute it to ajustments and preparation made for each week against teams coaches have more film on as the season goes on. Much more entertaining than watching Manning or Brady carve some helpless defense up.

Unlike the NBA where, over the last few seasons, it's been inevitable that the finals will end up being Cavs/Warrios with months of playing for 3rd place until June for all other teams. I will take parity over that any day, and I mean ANY DAY!

Could not disagree more than I do with the idea that this is mediocre/bad football. I love the parity and it is making for great football. I would attribute it to ajustments and preparation made for each week against teams coaches have more film on as the season goes on. Much more entertaining than watching Manning or Brady carve some helpless defense up.

Unlike the NBA where, over the last few seasons, it's been inevitable that the finals will end up being Cavs/Warrios with months of playing for 3rd place until June for all other teams. I will take parity over that any day, and I mean ANY DAY!

the Pats are going to the Super Bowl.

Great parity there.

when nobody is allowed to be great, everyone is putrid

Edited by row_33

The college game isn't giving us monster RBs and NFL-style QBs.

Football is degrading horribly in skill, while pro hoops is growing exponentially in talent.

This, and the NFL rule book/officiating are the biggest issues imo. My lack of interest in the mediocre NFL has made me occasionally turn to college ball as an alternative. Every time I do so, I'm equally disappointed with the college game. Aside from the spread offense/air raid college teams, QB play is terrible. The majority of Big Ten and SEC games look like throwbacks to the era prior to the forward pass. College games are often won by the team whose QB throws fewer picks, not by a combination of ball security and playmaking. More often than not, every college game leaves me with the feeling that neither QB is capable of making plays.

I hit my formative years when college was giving us an OJ or Herschel (heck... Penn State had Franco AND Lydell Mitchell) every season.

The whole game, college and pro, is ebbing out great talent by the boatload.

Watching is at the stage of inertia and tradition and nothing-else-to-do...

The amount of idiotic rules/flags PO's plenty of fans, but that call was so egregious that even the NFL's toadies on the networks were going negative. That call in particular gives more ammo to those who believe the NFL routinely massages the game to benefit the Pats.