The United States Does Not Qualify for the World Cup

Elite Poster

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the US Men's Soccer team has never .. ever .. been good.

I think it's time to come to terms with it. We will never be a "soccer country."

USMNT 2002 was a good team. Beat Mexico and got unlucky against Germany 1-0 in the quarterfinals. We definitely outplayed the Germans overall.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/matches_wallchart/germany_v_usa/newsid_2049000/2049234.stm

USMNT 2002 was a good team. Beat Mexico and got unlucky against Germany 1-0 in the quarterfinals. We definitely outplayed the Germans overall.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/matches_wallchart/germany_v_usa/newsid_2049000/2049234.stm

no, the Germans got their one goal and that was all they needed.

US only lost to Italy 1-0 in 1990, Italy also got that one goal and shut her down right at that moment

Personally I hope they don't do any of that stuff because I don't want to listen all Summer to how soccer is overtaking baseball and other sports and is on the rise in America. It's not. The only thing it can beat is the Chargers.

I've been hearing that stojan for at least 10 years, and I laugh every time.

no, the Germans got their one goal and that was all they needed.

US only lost to Italy 1-0 in 1990, Italy also got that one goal and shut her down right at that moment

No. They outplayed the Germans. Their goalie made some phenominal saves, and the ref missed a handball in the box that would have given us a PK.

The US and England were the only two countries whose U17 and U20 teams made it to the World Cup Quarterfinals this year.

An interesting future on the horizon.

Who is coaching the U17 and U20 teams? Any candidates for the national team?

Who is coaching the U17 and U20 teams? Any candidates for the national team?

I say give Tab Ramos a shot. He's a former assistant under Klinsmann and coaching the U20s right now, who have put together some good results.

Claudio Reyna gave ESPN an interview saying how arrogant US coaches and management is, actually USSF in general.

He's not wrong, but I hold that turnover against Ghana as the worst in US history, and he just laid there and didn't try to get back, so I'm not sure he can speak with any authority on undeserved-ness.

I say give Tab Ramos a shot. He's a former assistant under Klinsmann and coaching the U20s right now, who have put together some good results.

Claudio Reyna gave ESPN an interview saying how arrogant US coaches and management is, actually USSF in general.

He's not wrong, but I hold that turnover against Ghana as the worst in US history, and he just laid there and didn't try to get back, so I'm not sure he can speak with any authority on undeserved-ness.

The arrogance comes from the old guard Bradley group. Those guys need to be put out to pasture.

I don't have any insight into Ramos and Hackworth. I almost feel like they should stay put since they are proving so good at creating the future.

The next coach is getting a turd sandwich for the next 3-4 years in talent, so they either need to commit to someone knowing that, or just roll the dice with a retread.

The arrogance comes from the old guard Bradley group. Those guys need to be put out to pasture.

I don't have any insight into Ramos and Hackworth. I almost feel like they should stay put since they are proving so good at creating the future.

The next coach is getting a turd sandwich for the next 3-4 years in talent, so they either need to commit to someone knowing that, or just roll the dice with a retread.

I actually like the squad if they get rid of Beasley, Howard, Bradley, Wondolowski who's absolutely useless, Gonzales, Dempsey, Altidore and then somehow talk Johnson out of international retirement, bring Brooks and Chandler back to solidify the defense, and try to get some youth up top and in the midfield like Green, Aguedelo, Zardes...don't really like Morris. Big rebuild coming, absolutely.

I actually like the squad if they get rid of Beasley, Howard, Bradley, Wondolowski who's absolutely useless, Gonzales, Dempsey, Altidore and then somehow talk Johnson out of international retirement, bring Brooks and Chandler back to solidify the defense, and try to get some youth up top and in the midfield like Green, Aguedelo, Zardes...don't really like Morris. Big rebuild coming, absolutely.

Edited by BeginnersMind

Ow!

The painful irony being that Wondo was only there for that exact reason, to be that opportunistic finisher right in front of the goal. He's not a playmaker, doesn't contribute much at all defensively or in the flow of play. He's the garbage goal guy. And, amazingly, the opportunity fell right to his feet at the most important moment imaginable. And he missed the !@#$ing thing. I feel kind of bad for him because he seems like a nice enough guy. Would have been one of the greatest moments in this country's soccer history, if not the greatest. But he Munsoned it.

I recognize a fair number of these names, but you fellas are really informed and I am not. I don't see the nuances of the game as I am mainly a casual viewer.

My sense, from some of the posts above, is that we need to play more of a ball possession, defensive, tactically sophisticated game and so far, we've just tried to get by on aggression.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. Hope we get it right . . . relatively soon.

Edited by Dr. Who

Ow!

The painful irony being that Wondo was only there for that exact reason, to be that opportunistic finisher right in front of the goal. He's not a playmaker, doesn't contribute much at all defensively or in the flow of play. He's the garbage goal guy. And, amazingly, the opportunity fell right to his feet at the most important moment imaginable. And he missed the !@#$ing thing. I feel kind of bad for him because he seems like a nice enough guy. Would have been one of the greatest moments in this country's soccer history, if not the greatest. But he Munsoned it.

The REALLY sad part is that Klinsmann set that entire game up, that entire World Cup run, up for that exact moment...the strategy against Belgium was PERFECT. The team had implemented their defense/counter scheme all game, it was always going to come down to a scrappy half-chance at the end...everything had been set up for that exact kind of finish. You look at Klinsmann's face after he missed and you knew we were NEVER winning that game in extra time. Wondolowski was done after that.

where were any of you while the qualification was going on? I couldn't find a soccer fan for a year on here.

Don't just come out when the team bombs in qualifying.

I watch every qualifier, every friendly.

I used to start soccer threads regularly, but they would always get hijacked by trolls, so I gave it up.