The United States Does Not Qualify for the World Cup

Elite Poster

The REALLY sad part is that Klinsmann set that entire game up, that entire World Cup run, up for that exact moment...the strategy against Belgium was PERFECT. The team had implemented their defense/counter scheme all game, it was always going to come down to a scrappy half-chance at the end...everything had been set up for that exact kind of finish. You look at Klinsmann's face after he missed and you knew we were NEVER winning that game in extra time. Wondolowski was done after that.

I think you're right.

That was such a weird game. The tension was almost unbearable. Just trying to hold on, Howard standing on his head and doing backflips keeping the ball out of the net. I agree that it was Klinsmann's strategy, but it's so painful to watch--just trying to hold on the whole game, playing what is essentially "un-soccer," hoping for a bit of luck late. It reminds me of the Dick Jauron style of "un-football," where you just hope to get some freak turnover and win 13 to 12 in the dying seconds and sneak out of there before the other team knows what happened.

...Then the Wondo moment right before the end of regulation. Then Belgium scores two early in extra time. Then, Julian freaking Green scores a goal in his first touch (and possibly last) in a World Cup game. THEN, the USA almost (!) ties it up with a pretty sweet arranged set piece late. But just miss. Kind of sums up the total experience of being a USMNT fan. Pain.

Edited by Cugalabanza

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right.

That was such a weird game. The tension was almost unbearable. Just trying to hold on, Howard standing on his head and doing backflips keeping the ball out of the net. I agree that it was Klinsmann's strategy, but it's so painful to watch--just trying to hold on the whole game, playing what is essentially "un-soccer," hoping for a bit of luck late. It reminds me of the Dick Jauron style of "un-football," where you just hope to get some freak turnover and win 13 to 12 in the dying seconds.

...Then the Wondo moment right before the end of regulation. Then Belgium scores two early in extra time. Then, Julian freaking Green scores a goal in his first touch (and possibly last) in a World Cup game. THEN, the USA almost (!) ties it up with a pretty sweet arranged set piece late. But just miss. Kind of sums up the total experience of being a USMNT fan. Pain.

I think being a Bills fan conditions you to be a US fan. When we play that decidedly American style of soccer, it's always gritty and uncomfortable and REALLY REALLY exhausting to watch (and play, the guys are DONE after defending like that for 90+)...but honestly, that's been what gets results. Not enough talent to play it up and up. Belgium game was the epitome of a team recognizing exactly what its strengths are and deciding to play to them. Like when Greece won the Euros, except Wondolowski couldn't handle the moment.

I think you're right.

That was such a weird game. The tension was almost unbearable. Just trying to hold on, Howard standing on his head and doing backflips keeping the ball out of the net. I agree that it was Klinsmann's strategy, but it's so painful to watch--just trying to hold on the whole game, playing what is essentially "un-soccer," hoping for a bit of luck late. It reminds me of the Dick Jauron style of "un-football," where you just hope to get some freak turnover and win 13 to 12 in the dying seconds and sneak out of there before the other team knows what happened.

That indirect free kick was genius. I just wish Klinsmann would have coached better defense. That was the one part of his teams that drove me nuts. I'm hoping we'll go European for our next coach.

I watch every qualifier, every friendly.

I used to start soccer threads regularly, but they would always get hijacked by trolls, so I gave it up.

Oh yeah, you did do that!

I like soccer every four years, kinda like skiing or track and field. Too bad they screwed it up this time.