Homemade Pizza Thread

BringBackFergy

It has to be San Marzano tomatoes. Read up on them.

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-14-16365

Being a Type A personality, I stopped at Price Chopper and looked up and down the aisles for canned or fresh San Marzano tomatoes. No luck. I ended up buying some peeled tomatoes (canned) from Italy. Where do you get these San Marzanos?

Being a Type A personality, I stopped at Price Chopper and looked up and down the aisles for canned or fresh San Marzano tomatoes. No luck. I ended up buying some peeled tomatoes (canned) from Italy. Where do you get these San Marzanos?

They are getting more reliable to find at Publix in the southeast. It used to be rare, but now it's more often that not. Sweeter with less acidity. Definitely the way to go if you have the option. I see some that are "San Marzano Style", etc, and I wonder how they trick us? ;)

They are getting more reliable to find at Publix in the southeast. It used to be rare, but now it's more often that not. Sweeter with less acidity. Definitely the way to go if you have the option. I see some that are "San Marzano Style", etc, and I wonder how they trick us? ;)

I was actually in the aisle reading the back of a whole peeled tomatoes label thinking it would say straight from San Marzano. Then I checked out the produce aisle and they had hydroponic, plum, hot house, and heirloom tomatoes. I may have to ship them in via Amazon drone (Im in a rural area...no Publix).

Is this naan?

No. Naan is Indian, central, SE Asian... Pita, MiddleEast.

"The name comes from the Persian word, non, for bread. Unlike pita, naan has yogurt, milk, and sometimes eggs or butter in it, resulting in a softer texture. When the dough is made, bakers shape it into a ball and slap it on the interior walls of a tandoor, a clay oven. The bread puffs up and bubbles as it cooks."

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/175880/whats-the-difference-between-naan-and-pita/

"Naan and pita look so similar. But not quite. Look closer.

One is fluffy, bubbly, and often oval-shaped. The other is circular and has these wonderfully convenient pockets, perfect for sandwiches. Those are the two most noticeable differences between naan and pita both round, slightly leavened wheat flatbreads. You can brush them with oil or butter and sprinkle spice blends or herbs on them, if you so desire. They both make handy substitutes for pizza crust too."

I live on both this stuff. Only breads I really eat.

I was actually in the aisle reading the back of a whole peeled tomatoes label thinking it would say straight from San Marzano. Then I checked out the produce aisle and they had hydroponic, plum, hot house, and heirloom tomatoes. I may have to ship them in via Amazon drone (Im in a rural area...no Publix).

Try Amazon, it's pretty prominent on the label if it's the good stuff.

These tomatoes are sort of a big thing so it won't be hidden on the label. It will say in big bold letters on them. Just do a Google search and you can see the different types of brands and packaging out there. I get them at my local grocery store which is nothing special.

Is this naan?

No. Naan is Indian, central, SE Asian... Pita, MiddleEast.

"The name comes from the Persian word, non, for bread. Unlike pita, naan has yogurt, milk, and sometimes eggs or butter in it, resulting in a softer texture. When the dough is made, bakers shape it into a ball and slap it on the interior walls of a tandoor, a clay oven. The bread puffs up and bubbles as it cooks."

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/175880/whats-the-difference-between-naan-and-pita/

"Naan and pita look so similar. But not quite. Look closer.

One is fluffy, bubbly, and often oval-shaped. The other is circular and has these wonderfully convenient pockets, perfect for sandwiches. Those are the two most noticeable differences between naan and pita both round, slightly leavened wheat flatbreads. You can brush them with oil or butter and sprinkle spice blends or herbs on them, if you so desire. They both make handy substitutes for pizza crust too."

I live on both this stuff. Only breads I really eat.

Naan would work as a pizza crust, though they never come that large. These 12-inch pitas make a nice pizza for two, or one if your hungry.

You gotta go to the fancy grocery store. The one where all the stay at home moms go to after yoga while the au pair looks after the children. Look for a parking lot full of Range Rovers. You'll find San Marzanos there.

You gotta go to the fancy grocery store. The one where all the stay at home moms go to after yoga while the au pair looks after the children. Look for a parking lot full of Range Rovers. You'll find San Marzanos there.

Fergs ... that place in Saratoga where you get your chicken.

Naan would work as a pizza crust, though they never come that large. These 12-inch pitas make a nice pizza for two, or one if your hungry.

How about as a hors d'oeuvres pizza? The naan that is.

We are gonna try... It never really dawned on us to use pita as a crust! We always have tons of it.

I wonder if how sneaking cheese & pepperoni in pita pocket would work...

The naan too... But I guess you can make like a hors d'oeuvres (as mentioned above). We usually do the little Peppridge farm bread thingys. I mentioned the polenta (from a tube of polenta) pizza, that can be cut off the tube and make pizza bites.

Great suggestion... We are gonna try it! I love me some hors d'oeuvres! ;-)

Totino's eat your heart out!

Im making the dough Jauronimo cited this weekend and the sauce the others talked about (simple sauce but didnt find San Marzano tomatoes...my source tells me Walmart has them so Ill get some this week). In the meantime, try the non-Hannaford brand of dough at Hannaford. Was excellent. Sprinkled sessme seeds sround the outer crust and used real mozz from deli counter cut thin. Anchovies!!! Amazing. Am ordering a pizza steel this week. Hope it gets here by Friday.

Im making the dough Jauronimo cited this weekend and the sauce the others talked about (simple sauce but didnt find San Marzano tomatoes...my source tells me Walmart has them so Ill get some this week). In the meantime, try the non-Hannaford brand of dough at Hannaford. Was excellent. Sprinkled sessme seeds sround the outer crust and used real mozz from deli counter cut thin. Anchovies!!! Amazing. Am ordering a pizza steel this week. Hope it gets here by Friday.

Your source sent you a real-time picture of cans of San Marzano tomatoes at Walmart!!!!!!!!!!!