Sam Darnold/Hype Is Dumb

corta765

The Bills strong start has made it easy to forget about the excitement a lot of people had before the season for the college QB's that were hyped. Well we are now a month into the college football season and Sam Darnold is struggling to the point it is now very possible if not likely that he goes back to college after this season.

Darnold still could turn out to be an incredible QB and if the Bills had a the opportunity to draft him I still hope they would (unless he continues into a tirefire). At the same point this is the exact reason why you do not tank a team for a singular player. In the history of professional football there have been three QB's who were such blue chip prospects that it was basically a guarantee, those being Elway, Manning, & Luck (Luck still has some to prove but he's legit). Otherwise it is so hard to predict a QB's success throughout college and into the NFL. The hype for Darnold hit a level of insanity this summer and I frankly am kind of happy its calmed a bit. He still could turn into a great pro as could Josh Allen who also road a crazy hype train into this season that he isn't meeting.

A QB like the three that are above come around ever decade plus. Frankly the best thing you can do is what the Bills have done trying to build a strong team of players to setup a culture for long term success while having picks for the next draft. Tyrod is playing great and could be the guy, not looking to start that. At the same point the Bills have enough ammunition that if they want to grab a guy next draft they can without destroying the base they have laid.

In closing can we calm the hype train after one good season for these college QB's. I get its fun to dream and be a fan, but Darnold is on a long list of QB's who entered a season with sky high expectations and isn't hitting them.

Edited by corta765

I've always said, going into the season, the college players that are looked at as can't miss prospects are never the same as after they have played the season. Let's just let these seasons play out and go from there before we start crowning anyone

In watching Darnold Friday night vs. Washington State you can tell he is nowhere near NFL ready. He was 15 of 29 for only 164 yards, and of those 15 completions, only 3 traveled more than 5 yards in the air. Talk about Captain Checkdown. And he's already thrown 8 INTs on the season, only 1 less than all of 2016. He looks lost out there.

In watching Darnold Friday night vs. Washington State you can tell he is nowhere near NFL ready. He was 15 of 29 for only 164 yards, and of those 15 completions, only 3 traveled more than 5 yards in the air. Talk about Captain Checkdown. And he's already thrown 8 INTs on the season, only 1 less than all of 2016. He looks lost out there.

Darnold the Great threw at least one other ball directly to a Washington State DB on a 5-yard out pattern. The DB promptly did his Leodis McKelvin impression, but it should have been an easy pick 6.

Donald hype was stupid and we all should have learned years ago. There was some dude back in the day named Jay Clocker and all you'd hear on the radio was how great he was going to be. He went back to school and I'm not even sure if he ever got drafted. Andrew Luck has a cult following but has produced nothing worthy of his status as the greatest QB prospect in the history of history. The list goes on and on with guys that have stupid names like Blaine being the most obvious impending failures.

Donald hype was stupid and we all should have learned years ago. There was some dude back in the day named Jay Clocker and all you'd hear on the radio was how great he was going to be. He went back to school and I'm not even sure if he ever got drafted. Andrew Luck has a cult following but has produced nothing worthy of his status as the greatest QB prospect in the history of history. The list goes on and on with guys that have stupid names like Blaine being the most obvious impending failures.

Donald who? Duck? Trump?

its not just Darnold though. There is a pile of QBs who are outperforming him. I remember when the focus was on Jake Locker, then his final season was a tire fire.

We have Mayfield, Falk, Rudolph, Rosen, Jackson, Allen, Thorsam, Browning... I think I could be sold on any one of those (at this point)

Luck is a victim of circumstance and being with the worst managed team in football. His first 3 seasons they made the playoffs and went a round farther each year. Last season was probably his best despite a crappy O line and non existent defense and they still got 8 wins. I'm not sure who said he was the greatest QB prospect in history, he was one of the most surething bluechip passers though ever. The point with him is you could draft him and know you were getting a top 10 - top 5 QB.

I think Darnold will be fine. These kids get so over-hyped that the minute they look human everyone throws their arms up and says "This kid sucks!" After last season when his hype train left the station and people started calling for a tank to draft him I was like, the guy has 10 starts to his name and has three more years of eligibility at USC. To throw away a season on the off chance this kid is gonna decide to declare for the draft is a horrible idea. Rumors circulated earlier before the season that he was leaning on returning to USC after 2017 anyway. But yeah, the hype gets a little ridiculous but either way there are plenty of traits to his game that make him a first round pick.

Luck is a victim of circumstance and being with the worst managed team in football. His first 3 seasons they made the playoffs and went a round farther each year. Last season was probably his best despite a crappy O line and non existent defense and they still got 8 wins. I'm not sure who said he was the greatest QB prospect in history, he was one of the most surething bluechip passers though ever. The point with him is you could draft him and know you were getting a top 10 - top 5 QB.

Who said he was the greatest QB prospect in history? That would be every network TV football announcer for a two year period. You missed it? Whatever with Luck. There is an excuse thread for him on the main board every year. It documents how unfair life has been to him and sometimes shows him throwing a ball three yards to a covered receiver on 4th and 5 when there is 15 yards to run right in front of him.

The point is that even the surest of sure things isn't sure. Donald may be Luck like, he may be worse like Clocker who never played in the NFL to my knowledge or he might be very good. The point is that it is far too early to hype him or anyone else.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.