so, this movie "mother!"

Cugalabanza

So, I was curious about this movie because I had heard that many people had extreme reactions to it. It seems to be quite intensely hated by a lot of people.

I liked it. I appreciated the allegory of it. Some of the symbolism was so on the nose, that I kind of laughed a little in parts, but I enjoyed it. I think many who saw it as some kind of political statement or otherwise narrow agenda-push missed the point. It was way more fundamental than that. I saw it as a fever dream exploration of yin vs. yang in the most abstract terms. Maybe Nature vs. Human Nature describes the theme. For what it was, I found it intense, funny and entertaining.

I do understand why someone could not like it for style reasons. Aronofsky is often annoyingly aggressive in the way his movies are shot. The constant hyper-close-ups and shaky camera can be exhausting. His style has kind of pissed me off before, but I thought it worked for this movie.

Anyone else see it & have thoughts about it?

Worst reviews I have ever seen for a movie, across the usual dozen or so places I read them.

Nope, no interest in going.

It's not black and white with subtitles or the "Mao-ist Phase" of an auteur.

Worst reviews I have ever seen for a movie, across the usual dozen or so places I read them.

Nope, no interest in going.

It's not black and white with subtitles or the "Mao-ist Phase" of an auteur.

I was aware of the bad reviews. I suspected that this wasn't just a case of a bad movie and people reporting that. After seeing it, my suspicion was confirmed: it's actually a very well-made movie that happens to rub people the wrong way. I liked the movie a lot.

So, I was curious about this movie because I had heard that many people had extreme reactions to it. It seems to be quite intensely hated by a lot of people.

I liked it. I appreciated the allegory of it. Some of the symbolism was so on the nose, that I kind of laughed a little in parts, but I enjoyed it. I think many who saw it as some kind of political statement or otherwise narrow agenda-push missed the point. It was way more fundamental than that. I saw it as a fever dream exploration of yin vs. yang in the most abstract terms. Maybe Nature vs. Human Nature describes the theme. For what it was, I found it intense, funny and entertaining.

I do understand why someone could not like it for style reasons. Aronofsky is often annoyingly aggressive in the way his movies are shot. The constant hyper-close-ups and shaky camera can be exhausting. His style has kind of pissed me off before, but I thought it worked for this movie.

Anyone else see it & have thoughts about it?

Just read the Wikipedia plot synopsis. I see what you mean. Looks interesting.

I was aware of the bad reviews. I suspected that this wasn't just a case of a bad movie and people reporting that. After seeing it, my suspicion was confirmed: it's actually a very well-made movie that happens to rub people the wrong way. I liked the movie a lot.

Well, you happen to rub people the wrong way, so it figures. :nana::lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding Gringo. Just kidding. But I have no interest in seeing that movie. I rarely go to the theatre anymore, and this is about as un-compelling reason to break that trend that I can think of. But then again, I'm un-compelling. So it figures. :P

Sometimes we make our minds up to find cultural items fascinating and life-changing publicly while inside we know it wasn't that big a deal.

Jesus. !@#$ing nevermind. I was just curious to discuss a movie I liked.

You're not interested, but you keep replying in this thread. Why? To interject what? This isn't PPP over here. It's just a movie. There's no ax to grind.

I have not seen this movie, so my guess is that the reason why audiences gave it an "F" grade is probably because they were expecting a horror movie. Which from what I have read, this is not that type of movie.

Also, Darren Aronofsky is not for everyone. "Requiem For A Dream", "The Wrestler", and "Black Swan" are good movies, but not exactly all that appealing to the masses.

I have not seen this movie, so my guess is that the reason why audiences gave it an "F" grade is probably because they were expecting a horror movie. Which from what I have read, this is not that type of movie.

Also, Darren Aronofsky is not for everyone. "Requiem For A Dream", "The Wrestler", and "Black Swan" are good movies, but not exactly all that appealing to the masses.

I only go to the theaters maybe once a year, but I'm looking forward to this one streaming. I've liked all of Aronofsky's movies and I doubt this will be different.

Well, shoot. I love all those movies. I'm not a movie buff by any means, so I didn't even know they were all Aronovsky films.

Guess I'll have to give Mother a shot.

Damn I'm one of those that was hoping it was a horror movie. Now I probably won't see it. I am looking forward to Bladerunner this weekend though. Already getting glowing reviews. We have one of those fancy luxury lounge seating theaters that serve beer and wine. Already got the seats! Loved the original and this is supposed to be true to it.

Damn I'm one of those that was hoping it was a horror movie. Now I probably won't see it. I am looking forward to Bladerunner this weekend though. Already getting glowing reviews. We have one of those fancy luxury lounge seating theaters that serve beer and wine. Already got the seats! Loved the original and this is supposed to be true to it.

I'm looking forward to that one as well.

I've thoroughly enjoyed director Denis Villenueve's films. "Prisoners", "Sicario" & "The Arrival" are all outstanding.

Very interested in seeing what he does with this "brand name" movie.