How to get local channel without cable??

BillsCuse

Just closed on a house Friday and I do not have cable/internet set up there yet. I know you used to be able to get CBS, NBC and ABC for free, but pretty sure things changed when everything went digital. Anyone have any suggestions how to get the game on the TV? I'm assuming I'm screwed, but wasn't sure if there's anyway to just get the local CBS channel on some how. (And I know I could go to a bar or friends house, but the wife won't be having it with work needing to be done)

If you use an antenna don't forget to buy a digital converter. There is no longer an analog signal send through the air.

No need for that with today's HDTV or 4K displays The OTA signals are digital.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No need for that with today's HDTV or 4K displays The OTA signals are digital.

I forgot that last time I hooked up an antenna was with an old analog tv. Wanted to use it outside, but obviously couldn't get the HD signal that is built in to newer tv's. The only thing that sucks about HD antenna reception is that you don't want to be in a fringe reception area. The whole freaking signal dies occasionally. I missed the days when the image just got blurry. At least you could still listen, and possibly see something.

Congratulations on the house closing. That's a life event.

You can run down to any Walmart, or Target and get an "HD TV antenna." And it doesn't need to be sophisticated or costly.

I used this $9 antenna for six months, no problem. You may have to experiment, point it in different directions.

post-25980-0-99942500-1506866472_thumb.jpeg

-------------------------------------

Aside: HDTV and "cord cutting" would be a good pinned topic in the Consumer Digest forum.

post-25980-0-99942500-1506866472_thumb.jpeg

You should be able to pick up a cheap antenna at your local walmart. That will give you your local channels for free and nowadays have surprisingly great reception

Not true. Analog days enabled latching onto a signal much further than todays digital signal. I used to watch the blacked out Bills games out of Syracuse years ago about 90 miles away . Save your receipt. Depending on where you live you may not receive channels. Some televisions are more forgiving of weak signals than others. I live in Rochester (northern suburb), and the only station I could get with a $20 indoor antenna was a "garbled" WUHF-21. I have outdoor antennas now and I get them all, although WROC-8 is a bit dicey.

Good luck.

Edited by jaybee

Just closed on a house Friday and I do not have cable/internet set up there yet. I know you used to be able to get CBS, NBC and ABC for free, but pretty sure things changed when everything went digital. Anyone have any suggestions how to get the game on the TV? I'm assuming I'm screwed, but wasn't sure if there's anyway to just get the local CBS channel on some how. (And I know I could go to a bar or friends house, but the wife won't be having it with work needing to be done)

This is easy.

Get another wife.

Not true. Analog days enabled latching onto a signal much further than todays digital signal. I used to watch the blacked out Bills games out of Syracuse years ago about 90 miles away . Save your receipt. Depending on where you live you may not receive channels. Some televisions are more forgiving of weak signals than others. I live in Rochester (northern suburb), and the only station I could get with a $20 indoor antenna was a "garbled" WUHF-21. I have outdoor antennas now and I get them all, although WROC-8 is a bit dicey.

Good luck.

A lot of it is based on topography and exact geographic location. For us, in southern Monroe county, with a $20 antenna, we are able to pick up all the Rochester stations and even a few out of Buffalo. It helps that our house sits up on a little bit of a hill.