I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

He certainly has dropped a couple of easily catchable passes.

Which ones? The article mention four, I gave four, granted one or two of those may not be what they were mentioning.

I can go back and rewatch the games if you tell me what game and about when you think it happened.

I honestly don't remember a single pass, that hit him in stride, that he's dropped.

For example.

MegatronDrop.gif

Edited by elroy16

Which ones? The article mention four, I gave four, granted one or two of those may not be what they were mentioning.

I can go back and rewatch the games if you tell me what game and about when you think it happened.

I honestly don't remember a single pass, that hit him in the chest, that he's dropped.

The ones I remember off the top are a quick screen against the Bengals and a deep pass against the Falcons that should have been routine catches.

The ones I remember off the top are a quick screen against the Bengals and a deep pass against the Falcons that should have been routine catches.

First ones that came to mind. Along with the pass against Denver that was caught by Holmes in the back of the end zone.

Ue9HlBv.gif

Edited by Captain Murica

The quick screen was near the end zone, at his knees, right? That is the worst of his drops, imo.

Was the deep pass against the Falcons the one where he kinda dove? He should have had that as well, but I think half dive screwed him up a bit. I still don't know if I'd call that an easy, routine catch, but I can see your side of it.

Like Buffalo716 said, he's coming from the AAC. Yes he played against some big schools, but the NFL has to be a big jump for him. I'm not going to get down on him yet.

Another one. :thumbsup:

I mentioned that one already. A quick pass, high and wide. A catchable ball, but not easy.

Edited by elroy16

At the same time he had fantastic numbers against power 5 opponents in college and was (arguably) the best player on the field at the Senior Bowl.

He was excellent.

I think it just shows the huge jump from AAC to NFL. Your mind is constantly racing to remember all your nuances and the speed of everything is lightning quick. You need to be 100% sharp or you are gonna slip up

I'm not super worried . I really believe he is having some problems adapting to the speed of the game. The defenders , the ball, everything. He needs a nice TD to calm himself

At the same time he had fantastic numbers against power 5 opponents in college and was (arguably) the best player on the field at the Senior Bowl.

Agreed - hands are hands. Bums me out to see Cooper Kupp doing well while this kid literally drops the ball though.

First ones that came to mind. Along with the pass against Denver that was caught by Holmes in the back of the end zone.

Ue9HlBv.gif

Another ball that you would like caught, but I wouldn't call it easy.

We're basically arguing semantics at this point. My point is I'm not going to be too concerned about a promising rookie, 5 games into his career, because of these drops.

He was excellent.

I think it just shows the huge jump from AAC to NFL. Your mind is constantly racing to remember all your nuances and the speed of everything is lightning quick. You need to be 100% sharp or you are gonna slip up

I'm not super worried . I really believe he is having some problems adapting to the speed of the game. The defenders , the ball, everything. He needs a nice TD to calm himself

Do not "super worry".......whatever you do.

He's just a second round pick and check out the Bills history with second round picks........not nearly as valuable an asset as you might think......lotta' busts......a few meh's..........and the few better ones usually only happen in years where they aren't reaching for need because they don't have a first round pick(Thurman, Cowart, Darby).

Point is NOBODY should "super worry".......if he's a bust, he's a bust........it is just a YET ANOTHER cautionary about trading up for or using early picks on lower ceiling "off the bus starters" to plug holes that should have been addressed in free agency..........for every Tre White there are many more that struggle and serve as weak links in your lineup.

Do not "super worry".......whatever you do.

He's just a second round pick and check out the Bills history with second round picks........not nearly as valuable an asset as you might think......lotta' busts......a few meh's..........and the few better ones usually only happen in years where they aren't reaching for need because they don't have a first round pick(Thurman, Cowart, Darby).

Point is NOBODY should "super worry".......if he's a bust, he's a bust........it is just a YET ANOTHER cautionary about trading up for or using early picks on lower ceiling "off the bus starters" to plug holes that should have been addressed in free agency..........for every Tre White there are many more that struggle and serve as weak links in your lineup.

Yea that's why I'm not worried. If he pans out great, if not it wouldn't be the first or the last time a WR couldn't adjust to the NFL. There are a lot of second round recievers who never amounted to much in the league

Yea that's why I'm not worried. If he pans out great, if not it wouldn't be the first or the last time a WR couldn't adjust to the NFL. There are a lot of second round recievers who never amounted to much in the league

Yep and the Bills have supplied their share.

It's amazing how often THAT position has been a priority to find an immediate starter at..........and how empty they've come up........even Bob Woods was a disappointment..........and yet they keep waiting until the draft to address starting WR needs.

You never get ahead drafting for need..........it's almost a given that you subsequently pass on better players in the process.......it's uncanny their success in the second round when they go into a draft KNOWING that they can't fill all their needs and just draft bpa in round 2.