Rick Dennison

bobobonators

Of course, but you can only play the hand you are dealt. He was playing a one score game the whole game. That influences decisions a great deal. He should have more confidence in his defense than his offense. The second half was not much different than the first. We gave up yards but not points. They couldn't run. He knew one big play could steal the game. As soon as it gets more than one score that thought goes away.

He knew one big play could steal the game but we weren't trying to make big plays? The first ball Tyrod threw more than 15 yards which wasn't aimed at the sidelines was the last throw of the game. And it almost was a TD! I am glad we play Denver right away because their D is at least as ferocious as Carolina's and with this game fresh in our memories I hope our play calling is much much better. We can probably run up the middle and throw safe 5 yard passes for 6 easy wins this year. If we want more than that, and I have no doubts that McDermott does, we need to stretch the field. You don't need Sammy streaking down the field as a decoy to make that happen. The last play although a miss was probably a top 10 executed play by the Bills this week. That is telling both about today's game and about how we should play future games. Even if we miss them it has the same effect as running up the middle for a yard or less.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Affer reading several posts I'm not saying Dennison should be fired. What im saying is that we had ample evidence during the game that the strategy we had for the offense wasnt working. At all. We never made an adjustment. Spread out the defense. Call more playaction. Call more option reads with TT and Shady. The one we did call was successful. Go hurry up offense. Call some gadget plays that can create some kind of energy. Sometimes you just need a spark to get things rolling. We didnt have a single spark until the last minute when it was too late.

Affer reading several posts I'm not saying Dennison should be fired. What im saying is that we had ample evidence during the game that the strategy we had for the offense wasnt working. At all. We never made an adjustment. Spread out the defense. Call more playaction. Call more option reads with TT and Shady. The one we did call was successful. Go hurry up offense. Call some gadget plays that can create some kind of energy. Sometimes you just need a spark to get things rolling. We didnt have a single spark until the last minute when it was too late.

Agree. Dennison was bad. Very, very bad. Horrible even.

I don't know how anyone could watch that game and not come to the conclusion that the play calling, heck the entire offensive game plan was lacking...

It was pretty brutal...And if he keeps running up the middle on 2nd down after we gained 4 or more yards on a 1st down run I'm going to strangle that dude... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Regarding several posts I've read on this forum regarding teams stacking the box and our offense not being able to do anything because of that simple fact:

Teams were stacking the box last season too. When Sammy and Woods were BOTH injured at the same time, what did we have at WR last season? Absolutely nothing. Teams stacking the box isn't a novel idea against us; it's absolutely nothing new. How we respond to that game plan this year is the difference. The difference is the OC.

Look at the Miami game last year (@Miami). No Robert Woods. No Sammy Watkins. Shady got injured and had 8 rushing attempts for 11 yards.

We are fielding absolutely nothing at the WR spot last year in that game, and Shady is out/ineffective. Yet the offense still managed to put up 25 points and Tyrod had over 250yds total offense and 2 TD's.

I fully realize that it's two completely different games. But that offense yesterday had more talent on the field than the Bills did against Miami and we showed zero effectiveness.

Stayed with the run on 1st down on far too many series to set up 2nd and 3rd downs with long yardages.

Compounding the problem was that a lot of the runs were for a loss. Just a horrible game from every single player on that offense as well as the OC. Playing a very good, fast defense like Carolina, we need to approach the offensive game plan like we did vs Seattle last year: spread them out and pass the ball. Spreading the defense out mitigates the effectiveness of their speed, and it makes them cover 5 receivers, in addition to Tyrod being able to run the ball. Doing that may have also allowed us to set up the run with the pass.

WGR commenting on what was discussed in this thread.

We should have come out in the 2nd half in the spread offense. No adjustment made in yesterdays game.

I'll agree with your concept and it's been obvious from the start. This staff and OC wants to run their system. They will not adjust it to the players they have or the QBs obvious limitations. This guy is no Roman.

Compounding the problem was that a lot of the runs were for a loss. Just a horrible game from every single player on that offense as well as the OC. Playing a very good, fast defense like Carolina, we need to approach the offensive game plan like we did vs Seattle last year: spread them out and pass the ball. Spreading the defense out mitigates the effectiveness of their speed, and it makes them cover 5 receivers, in addition to Tyrod being able to run the ball. Doing that may have also allowed us to set up the run with the pass.

He simply cannot afford to be that stubborn as if the Bills are good enough to dictate to defenses as fast and aggressive as Carolina's. They better come up with a better strategy on Sunday against Denver.

@mikerodak

Bills OC Rick Dennison said Monday that Tyrod Taylor "kept us in the game"

He simply cannot afford to be that stubborn as if the Bills are good enough to dictate to defenses as fast and aggressive as Carolina's. They better come up with a better strategy on Sunday against Denver.

I'll agree with your concept and it's been obvious from the start. This staff and OC wants to run their system. They will not adjust it to the players they have or the QBs obvious limitations. This guy is no Roman.

Agree on both. I just hope this doesn't end up being the offensive version of Rex imposing his scheme on players when they clearly weren't best suited for it.

Coaches by their very nature are a conservative breed. What we saw yesterday was very indicative of what we have seen over the past 18 years and counting. Actually, even including Wade's 3 years, where the winning was predicated on a strong defense and an occasional big play from Flutie.

The mindset is typically to keep the offense conservative -- and only open it up when you have to in the 4th quarter. That formula actually works when the defense in strong enough to keep the opponent's offense in check. These coaches like QBs who manage the game and do not turn the ball over.

That is what Tyrod did yesterday, so I am not at all surprised to see the vote of confidence from McD and Dennison. The way they look at it is that when your defense only gives up 9 points and your offense does not turn the ball over you are going to win the game the vast number of times. Of course, the margin of error when playing like this is razor thin.

I have resigned myself to the notion that this is a mulligan year for the Bills. So I have no expectations. I just want to see a foundation form and for the team to make strides. I like what I have seen of the defense the last 2 weeks and would like to see them continue in a positive direction. I recognize that McD made some errors yesterday -- especially with clock management. But I am willing to be patient and see if he learns from these mistakes and improves as a first year head coach. The same goes for Dennison, who does not have an offensive minded head coach to oversee him like he did when coaching under Kubiak.

We know what Tyrod is. He is a serviceable, lower-half-of-the-league starting QB. There are some things he does well -- and other things he will never be able to do well. Still, he has his 3rd OC in as many years and an entirely new cast of WRs to work with. If he continues to minimize turnovers and the chemistry with the receivers improves, then (assuming that the defense is legit) the Bills could very well win 8 or more games this year. If he falls short of that modest goal and/or the team really does start to tank mid-season, then I expect a shift to Peterman.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Coaches by their very nature are a conservative breed. What we saw yesterday was very indicative of what we have seen over the past 18 years and counting. Actually, even including Wade's 3 years, where the winning was predicated on a strong defense and an occasional big play from Flutie.

The mindset is typically to keep the offense conservative -- and only open it up when you have to in the 4th quarter. That formula actually works when the defense in strong enough to keep the opponent's offense in check. These coaches like QBs who manage the game and do not turn the ball over.

That is what Tyrod did yesterday, so I am not at all surprised to see the vote of confidence from McD and Dennison. The way they look at it is that when your defense only gives up 9 points and your offense does not turn the ball over you are going to win the game the vast number of times. Of course, the margin of error when playing like this is razor thin.

I have resigned myself to the notion that this is a mulligan year for the Bills. So I have no expectations. I just want to see a foundation form and for the team to make strides. I like what I have seen of the defense the last 2 weeks and would like to see them continue in a positive direction. I recognize that McD made some errors yesterday -- especially with clock management. But I am willing to be patient and see if he learns from these mistakes and improves as a first year head coach. The same goes for Dennison, who does not have an offensive minded head coach to oversee him like he did when coaching under Kubiak.

We know what Tyrod is. He is a serviceable, lower-half-of-the-league starting QB. There are some things he does well -- and other things he will never be able to do well. Still, he has his 3rd OC in as many years and an entirely new cast of WRs to work with. If he continues to minimize turnovers and the chemistry with the receivers improves, then (assuming that the defense is legit) the Bills could very well win 8 or more games this year. If he falls short of that modest goal and/or the team really does start to tank mid-season, then I expect a shift to Peterson.

Great post. Very well said.

We know what Tyrod is. He is a serviceable, lower-half-of-the-league starting QB. There are some things he does well -- and other things he will never be able to do well. Still, he has his 3rd OC in as many years and an entirely new cast of WRs to work with. If he continues to minimize turnovers and the chemistry with the receivers improves, then (assuming that the defense is legit) the Bills could very well win 8 or more games this year. If he falls short of that modest goal and/or the team really does start to tank mid-season, then I expect a shift to Peterman.

Nicely done. The passing game has to evolve with additional time on task for the team to have any success at all this season as the blueprint to shutdown the scheme was advertised for all to see yesterday against CAR.

Im a bit concerned. I do not see any creativity in the playcalling.

1. I see basically zero misdirection plays.

2. I see a run on 1st down literally 90% of the time.

3. I see very little play action.

4. I see none of the unstoppable option run schemes that made this offense a top 10 offense.

Bad game for everyone today on this offense; most of all horrible play calling and game plan by the OC.

obviously i agree, i posted this but i didnt see it appear so i posted it again, in my own special way :)

I'll probably post this in a couple of threads tomorrow. But we had no separation at wide receiver we couldn't find the scenes or anywhere on the field to exploit targets. Their defensive backs are not that good but without McCoy doing anything the Panthers were able to flood the filled with coverage and shut us down

how do you know this? you cant see the wrs on the tv, they are out of frame, and zay and mathews are both 4-4, 4-5 guys, id bet are faster than funchess and benjamin. i love when people take some BS logic and apply it, all the while ignoring that when we had lightning fast guys like tj and goodwin, those guys supposedly sucked and we had low scoring games with them. Twatkins barely played last year and we had high scoring games without him. Tightwad had a lot of 220 + yard games with fast guys but he threw to woods and some scrubs mostly. And how is Clay not a weapon now? hes faster than most TE's and LB's.

Just simple minds looking for simple excuses when its actually dennisons crap playcalling.