What's going on with ESPN and the NFL?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You people and your ESPN. Back in my younger days, we didn't have cable, lived too far out in the country, and there's no way my Dad would have a BUD (big ugly dish) in his yard. We had The George Michael Sports Machine, once a week, at 11:30pm on Sundays! And we like it!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCC3RQsGitg

I watched George Michael too!

When you are at top forever, where is is there to go? And who is really coming close to challenging ESPN? Garbage FS1 & their band of idiots & ESPN rejects?

College Gameday is great. So is PTI. So is 30 for 30. And yup, they have so bad programming. So guess what? Don't watch it. Our country has become the country of whiners.

For good reason. We're being served up steaming piles of ****, and some of us demand better.and PTI? Woof.

They are showing a lot of different sports now as well, changing from all NFL all the time to something with broader appeal. For example Saturdays and Sundays they carry a lot of live English Premier League football (soccer) games, and during the week you will see games from the Italian, Spanish, and German leagues as well as international competitions.

NBC has the PL contract. ESPN does carry some friendly's via streaming still, and the occasional Cup games like you point out.

Personally, I thought their Euro and World Cup coverage was A+, but they lost the Word Cup to Fox which really sucks. Say what you will about ESPN, but Fox's production and broadcast sucks for everything outside of the NFL. It's a big loss for ESPN imo, precipitated by them overpaying for NBA and NFL rights.

Coverage/highlights are all about ESPN's agreements with the different leagues.

• They have a decent agreement with the NBA, so it doesnt cost them an arm and a leg to get highlight clips, and we get a lot of NBA coverage.
  • They obviously have a great deal with College Football, broadcast most of the games, so we get a ton of College Football coverage.
  • The NFL jacked up their costs a few years back, to give the advantage to their own station, the NFL Network. ESPN gets less highlight clips, so therefore can't play as many on air. Remember on Sunday nights how Berman and Tommy would go through a good 10-15 plays each game? No way they can afford all that coverage now, so they don't do it.
  • They have little to no agreement with the NHL, who made their deal with NBC/NBCSports, so we see almost zero hockey coverage.

Each league/sport has a different deal in place, and they dictate the amount of coverage each league gets. NFL priced themselves out a while back for NFLN, that's the main reason we've seen such a drop in quality NFL coverage on the channel.

And to piggyback on the 3rd point, IIRC, the NFL told ESPN they couldn't do the Boomer/TJ highlights during the Sunday night broadcast. So in essence, the NFL drove a spike through the best highlight show, and screwed ESPN in the process.

ESPN is a shell of what it once was. complete mismanagement by disney who also owns ABC. we want to watch sports so we don't have to think about life issues and politics and it seems like that's all they want to cover these days

Great post! I am in North Carolina and frequent a Restaurant bar with seven TV's; they no longer show network or cable news or ESPN unless a game is being played. No one wants to get politics and/or life issues shoved in the face while trying to relax. I really hope the NFL is paying attention!

Great post! I am in North Carolina and frequent a Restaurant bar with seven TV's; they no longer show network or cable news or ESPN unless a game is being played. No one wants to get politics and/or life issues shoved in the face while trying to relax. I really hope the NFL is paying attention!

I agree, but this is really just their last gasp before they die off. This was inevitable as sports highlights are available on the internet. There is absolutely no market for a network that shows hours of sports highlights. They simply went for cheap thrills. They try to stir up controversy to keep their name out there.

I agree, but this is really just their last gasp before they die off. This was inevitable as sports highlights are available on the internet. There is absolutely no market for a network that shows hours of sports highlights. They simply went for cheap thrills. They try to stir up controversy to keep their name out there.

Spot on!

Great "Sports Machine" clip posted in this thread earlier. One of my favorite shows in the early 90's.