WEEK 1: ALL 22 REVIEW - O LINE PASS PROT /QB UNFORCED ERRORS

Bocephuz

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the reason he doesn't hit Clay at the top of the drop as it looks like his first read was the receiver to the left there (Zay?) and then he comes back to Clay

Ok.. yes. Upon further review it looks like TT was staring at Zay Jones as his first read and comes back to Clay second read.

So it is not so clear cut that this was an unforced error.

My criticism is that he still could have seen that Jones was not good option earlier and moved on to second read a little faster. That is nitpicking I suppose on my part though.

Great post and many thanks! Agree with most points in it, too.

Do take issue with the INT being totally on Taylor. Should have thrown it earlier, but a TE making the money Clay is making should probably hold onto a ball that hits his hands on the 1 yard line. If I had to ratio it, then I'd apportion 65% fault to Clay and 35% fault to Taylor on that play.

Totally agree that while Matthews was open on the long YAC play, it was Taylor's positioning of the ball to the correct side that allowed Matthews to turn how he did and avoid the initial would-be tackler.

Great post and many thanks! Agree with most points in it, too.

Do take issue with the INT being totally on Taylor. Should have thrown it earlier, but a TE making the money Clay is making should probably hold onto a ball that hits his hands on the 1 yard line. If I had to ratio it, then I'd apportion 65% fault to Clay and 35% fault to Taylor on that play.

Totally agree that while Matthews was open on the long YAC play, it was Taylor's positioning of the ball to the correct side that allowed Matthews to turn how he did and avoid the initial would-be tackler.

agree on the Clay thing after taking a second look at sideline cam and seeing Zay Jones as primary read

also agree on the Matthews throw.

good points

TT probably wishes he had seen Clay sooner and also probably wishes he had put more heat on the ball.

Oh, I'm sure. But it's not like it was a horrible pass or a gimme INT. Not to mention, it was week 1 and he missed a lot of preseason.

Thanks for this Bo! Awesome work and much appreciated.

The int appeared to me to be on both guys. Not a great throw but a ball a professional should catch. Great hit by the safety though and I get why Clay didn't hold on.

The play you highlighted in the 1st quarter where TT scrambles around on 3rd and 11 before finding, I believe Mathews, was just a wow play and my favorite from TT in the game. That is a play that not too many guys can make.

So you don't agree with some that Int should have been a routine catch for Clay?

I like the overall analysis and appreciate the effort, however, I have to agree your point. I also think the GIF reinforces it. Though the throw is a touch behind, that's a catch any athletic NFL receiver should make

Thx. I think you nailed why coaches were looking so hard at Ducasse at camp. Vlad is so bad, most people ignored how poorly Miller has looked this summer.

Vlad is certainly bad but I do remember Astro's reports mentioning Miller multiple times in the last one out list and the dogging it list.

I like the overall analysis and appreciate the effort, however, I have to agree your point. I also think the GIF reinforces it. Though the throw is a touch behind, that's a catch any athletic NFL receiver should make

That's a very catchable ball with no defenders around. But how many receivers complete the catch as they're bringing the ball in and a safety barrels his helmet into the small of the back?

I really disagree with the first Miller "whiff." Look at the play again, it is a mis-direction, Taylor fakes the handoff and then rolls right without looking at what is happening behind him. Miller slides left and takes the nose tackle and keeps him from pressuring Taylor from the backside. The LB made the initial pressure, not the nose guard that was Miller's assignment.

So you don't agree with some that Int should have been a routine catch for Clay?

Does anyone think it should have been a routine catch for Clay?

It was a poor throw. It was late and behind him. But it was the sort of "money" catch that a top TE or WR making the big bucks is expected to haul in. When I watch other teams play, I'm astounded at the amazing catches their players seem to make quite frequently.

Holy Schmoly! Jordan Mills received the highest grade? That's encouraging.

Bo, nice work. I usually watch games like a typical fan and follow the ball. Only once in a while do I keep my eyes on the linemen instead.

Your analysis gives me a clearer idea of what's happening in the trenches. Thanks.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Does anyone think it should have been a routine catch for Clay?

It was a poor throw. It was late and behind him. But it was the sort of "money" catch that a top TE or WR making the big bucks is expected to haul in. When I watch other teams play, I'm astounded at the amazing catches their players seem to make quite frequently.

I wouldn't call it a routine catch but certainly catchable. Not the best throw, but not a bad throw either. FWIW, the ball was already through Clay's hands before the defender hit him. In real time, it looks like the hit caused the drop but that's not the case.

That's a very catchable ball with no defenders around. But how many receivers complete the catch as they're bringing the ball in and a safety barrels his helmet into the small of the back?

Mark Campbell would've caught it.

EDIT: Anyone else care to give a ratio of Taylor/Clay fault on that play? To repeat, mine is 35/65 Taylor/Clay.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

I believe the reason he doesn't hit Clay at the top of the drop as it looks like his first read was the receiver to the left there (Zay?) and then he comes back to Clay

Agreed. And I am sorry, no QB delivers the ball perfectly every throw. So even if one wants to argue that the ball could have been placed slightly better, it does not excuse our starting TE from letting a pass go through both his hands right in front of his face from about 7 yards away. That is a throw I will take any QB throwing 100% of the time. The TE, who is among the highest paid in the NFL, absolutely does not get a pass for not catch that throw. Its essentially the same throw as a back shoulder throw, which is a mandatory pass any receiving target is expected to catch in the NFL.

But to the OP...I appreciate your work and write up and enjoy reading it, but I just don't agree thats a QB error which would be an uncatchable pass or very low % throw with high risk. The pass to Clay was neither of those and our TE blew it again.

Edited by Alphadawg7