The Jets interception play.

f0neguy

Let's talk about the play where Jets CB Burris intercepted the ball in the end zone.

Burris ran the ball out of the end zone, a Jets play got pushed into Burris and knocked him down. Is he truly down and the play is over since a Bills player didn't actually knock him down/tackle him??

Obviously E. Wood didn't think he was legally down because he tackled him and stripped the ball from him.

My take is that Burris was not legally down because the Bills did not tackle him, and thus, Wood was justified in tackling him. In that case, the Bills recover the fumble and return the ball to their offense on the very next play.

Your take??

Your assumption is correct that the Jets player was not down by contact . He realizes this and starts to get up with possession of the ball. As Wood tackles him his knee is still not off the ground yet. This = down by contact from the Wood hit and Jets retain posesssion.

Even watching it again on replay, I agree that his knee was down when Kyle hit him, but, he didn't have possession of the ball. The ball was on the ground and he had one hand on it, not even gripping it. That's not possession.

the whistle and the mindset of the official at the time rules all...

He was downed by contact as the knee was touching the field when Wood made contact. No controversy at all after seeing the replay.

He was downed by contact as the knee was touching the field when Wood made contact. No controversy at all after seeing the replay.

I am slowly being driven mad by the inconsistency of officiating from play to play and game to game. But, I think they took a very complicated at and managed not to #### up the call.

kudos to Tyrod and EW on finishing the play and stopping what looked like a pick 6 from the end zone.

After all was said and done they made the right call. I didnt know wth was going on at the time and thought it would be a mess but they cleaned it up efficiently.

The interception we got later was another weird play that i think they called right. Overall good day for the refs really.

It should not have been Buffalo ball because when Wood made contact with the defender the defender still had "possession" and his knee was down so he is considered down by contact at that point - even though in the process of the tackle he then fumbled. It was not, however, called a foul on Wood because they acknowledged that the play was still "live" at the point he made contact. The penalty was eventually called on a Jet for a late hit.

Perfectly explained, thank you.