Perspective from around the NFL Week 1

section122

I did this a few times last year and wanted to do so again this year. I know many people don't get a chance to watch other teams and other games which can skew perspective on how other teams are playing and how well (or poorly) our own players are playing. There are still 2 games to play as of this writing due to the dual Monday nighter.

The Bills rush defense was very stout yesterday. They only gave up 2.5 ypa which is currently good for 5th in the league. They also gave up a long run of 11 yards which is tied for 5th as well. The 38 yards they gave up puts them in 3rd place. All a huge improvement over the multiple 200 yard rushers from last year.

Usually the pass defense suffers when a team has a strong rush d performance but that wasn't the case yesterday. The Bills gave up 176 yards passing good for 9th in the league and an amazing 4.8 ypa good for 2nd. Cumulatively the defense sits in 2nd place.

Offensively the rush offense sits at #1 in yards and #4 in ypa. The longest rush was 27 yards good for 4th in the league.

The Bills scored 21 points yesterday which is good for a tie at 11th with the Steelers. There were 6 teams that scored less than 10 points yesterday! Including Seattle, Houston, NYG, and Cincy all hopeful playoff teams.

These are all easily looked up but I like to dig a little deeper especially on the hot button players so let's start with the hottest button

Tyrod passed for 224 yards yesterday which was good for 14th in the league more than Eli, Cam, Joe Flacco, Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton and others. Tyrod totaled 262 yards which moved him up to 13th in yards for the game and ahead of Kirk Cousins and 2 yards behind Derek Carr.

Tyrod had a ypa of 8 which is very good and was 5th in the league. His rating of 92 was good enough for 8th in the league.

Shady had 110 yards rushing which was the 2nd highest output in the league while averaging 5.0 ypc good for 3rd in the league. He and Kareem Hunt are the only 2 rushers with more than 10 attempts in the top 5. By the way #5 on the list? Tyrod.

All in all the Bills played very well yesterday when stacked up against the rest of the league. Although 21-12 might not be the dominant win some wanted it is clear that the score didn't really reflect the performance of the team. Stop nitpicking and don't let perfect be the enemy of very good! There are a lot of names in this post of players and teams that people are convinced are better than the Bills.

More to come as the season progresses...

Have you ever put this data into a spread sheet?

No I just continue looking at it throughout the year. At the end of last year I feel pretty confident saying Tyrod played better than Flacco, Cam, and Eli. 3 guys who consensus says are better than Tyrod even though the results weren't there. Russel Wilson and the Seahawks offense was incredibly inconsistent last year and scored less than 10 points 3 or 4 times and did it again yesterday.

I grew very frustrated last year listening to fans and wondered if people watched other games and it became clear they don't. People complain about many things that they don't realize happen throughout the league regularly. This thread idea grew from there. I figured instead of complaining about people's ignorance maybe I could help educate them a bit :lol:

I did this a few times last year and wanted to do so again this year. I know many people don't get a chance to watch other teams and other games which can skew perspective on how other teams are playing and how well (or poorly) our own players are playing. There are still 2 games to play as of this writing due to the dual Monday nighter.

The Bills rush defense was very stout yesterday. They only gave up 2.5 ypa which is currently good for 5th in the league. They also gave up a long run of 11 yards which is tied for 5th as well. The 38 yards they gave up puts them in 3rd place. All a huge improvement over the multiple 200 yard rushers from last year.

Usually the pass defense suffers when a team has a strong rush d performance but that wasn't the case yesterday. The Bills gave up 176 yards passing good for 9th in the league and an amazing 4.8 ypa good for 2nd. Cumulatively the defense sits in 2nd place.

Offensively the rush offense sits at #1 in yards and #4 in ypa. The longest rush was 27 yards good for 4th in the league.

The Bills scored 21 points yesterday which is good for a tie at 11th with the Steelers. There were 6 teams that scored less than 10 points yesterday! Including Seattle, Houston, NYG, and Cincy all hopeful playoff teams.

These are all easily looked up but I like to dig a little deeper especially on the hot button players so let's start with the hottest button

Tyrod passed for 224 yards yesterday which was good for 14th in the league more than Eli, Cam, Joe Flacco, Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton and others. Tyrod totaled 262 yards which moved him up to 13th in yards for the game and ahead of Kirk Cousins and 2 yards behind Derek Carr.

Tyrod had a ypa of 8 which is very good and was 5th in the league. His rating of 92 was good enough for 8th in the league.

Shady had 110 yards rushing which was the 2nd highest output in the league while averaging 5.0 ypc good for 3rd in the league. He and Kareem Hunt are the only 2 rushers with more than 10 attempts in the top 5. By the way #5 on the list? Tyrod.

All in all the Bills played very well yesterday when stacked up against the rest of the league. Although 21-12 might not be the dominant win some wanted it is clear that the score didn't really reflect the performance of the team. Stop nitpicking and don't let perfect be the enemy of very good! There are a lot of names in this post of players and teams that people are convinced are better than the Bills.

More to come as the season progresses...

Good post; thanks.

Thanks for this. I liked it before and it's a very valuable addition to the conversation.

With two games on MNF and one cancellation, there were 20% of the league not playing. You should probably do a recalculation after tonight's games.

Absolutely. I thought about waiting until Tuesday to run the post but I had a chance this morning and don't know if I will right away on Monday. I'll update tomorrow at some point to keep it up to date and the plan is to do so throughout the year.

Section 122, I say thank you sir. Taking the time to compile that data, and putting it into a post that is both informative AND easy-reading is greatly appreciated! I love seeing how we performed, and where we stand vs the rest of the league.

Thank you again! ☺👍

The Bills rush defense was very stout yesterday. They only gave up 2.5 ypa which is currently good for 5th in the league. They also gave up a long run of 11 yards which is tied for 5th as well. The 38 yards they gave up puts them in 3rd place. All a huge improvement over the multiple 200 yard rushers from last year. Updated: still tied for 5th with 2.5 ypa, moved to 6th with long run (Minn gave up a long of 9). Still 3rd place for 38 yards.

Usually the pass defense suffers when a team has a strong rush d performance but that wasn't the case yesterday. The Bills gave up 176 yards passing good for 9th in the league and an amazing 4.8 ypa good for 2nd. Cumulatively the defense sits in 2nd place. update: all of these numbers stayed the same!

Offensively the rush offense sits at #1 in yards and #4 in ypa. The longest rush was 27 yards good for 4th in the league. update: all of these numbers stayed the same.

The Bills scored 21 points yesterday which is good for a tie at 11th with the Steelers. There were 6 teams that scored less than 10 points yesterday! Including Seattle, Houston, NYG, and Cincy all hopeful playoff teams. Moved down to 13th as the Broncos and Vikes moved ahead of them.

Tyrod passed for 224 yards yesterday which was good for 14th in the league more than Eli, Cam, Joe Flacco, Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton and others. Tyrod totaled 262 yards which moved him up to 13th in yards for the game and ahead of Kirk Cousins and 2 yards behind Derek Carr. update: Tyrod moved to 16th as Simien and Rivers did not beat his 224 yards. He is 15th in yards per game as Brees and Bradford had more yards.

Tyrod had a ypa of 8 which is very good and was 5th in the league. His rating of 92 was good enough for 8th in the league. He moved to 6th for ypa as Sam Bradford was lights out (seriously he looked GOOD). Interestingly all 4 qbs had a higher rating than him last night and he sits at 12th.

Shady had 110 yards rushing which was the 2nd highest output in the league while averaging 5.0 ypc good for 3rd in the league. He and Kareem Hunt are the only 2 rushers with more than 10 attempts in the top 5. By the way #5 on the list? Tyrod. Tyrod moved to 3rd behind Dalvin Cook for total yards and 4th for ypa also behind cook. Tyrod bumped to 6th best ypa.

So at the end of week 1 Tyrod put up a top 10-15 performance in the league and Shady put up a top 3 performance. The defense put in a top 2 performance. So again, although it was the Jets and the score was only 21-12 this was a dominant performance by the team on offense and defense.

Here is a list of notable qbs that Tyrod outperformed: Deshaun Watson, Joe Flacco, Blake Bortles, Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Phillip Rivers, and Eli Manning among others. Those are a lot of names that people think are better than Tyrod.

start mini rant

I stand by my claim that Tyrod is better than Flacco, has been for the last 2 years, and started out the same again this year. Before you yell look at the numbers. Then the next time you want to talk about Super Bowl winning qbs and how Tyrod could NEVER do that remember Joe Flacco has one. The next time you want to say he is a backup at best look at the list of guys he outperforms. With a down year last year he outperformed Cam and Eli. Appreciate what we have...

/rant

Edited by section122

All those defensive stats and rankings do is depress me, because they came against the Jets. If the Bills had a good defense, they'd be #1 in all categories against the stiffs they saw yesterday.

I honestly think there are worst teams than the Jets like Indy (without Luck), Houston was very bad and they didn´t play a really great D (jax has a good D but not great), 49rs and you could throw Cinci in there, but maybe Ravens have a better D than I expected.

I honestly think there are worst teams than the Jets like Indy (without Luck), Houston was very bad and they didn´t play a really great D (jax has a good D but not great), 49rs and you could throw Cinci in there, but maybe Ravens have a better D than I expected.

I was shocked by Houston's overall performance. With Watt returning and it being the home opener after Harvey, I was shocked to see the stinker.