3rd QB Yates or someone else?

HT02

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand carrying a 3rd QB unless it is a developmental guy. Even then, the value is debatable since I can't recall any of those 3rd QB/developmental guys ever becoming a long term starting QB. There's always a Thad Lewis (he has a job now, but he didn't last year) available out there - the classic replacement level QB. 2-4 W-L record, 81 QB rating. A TJ Yates is no better (probably worse), and I've seen no evidence that having a guy like that around just because he "knows the system" provides any tangible benefit.

I don't really understand carrying a 3rd QB unless it is a developmental guy. Even then, the value is debatable since I can't recall any of those 3rd QB/developmental guys ever becoming a long term starting QB. There's always a Thad Lewis (he has a job now, but he didn't last year) available out there - the classic replacement level QB. 2-4 W-L record, 81 QB rating. A TJ Yates is no better (probably worse), and I've seen no evidence that having a guy like that around just because he "knows the system" provides any tangible benefit.

Tommy. Tony Romo.

Yates being the safe choice is like banging a hooker without a condom.

Who is 60 years old.

On a more serious note, I believe Cleveland acquired Osweiler via trade. I haven't done the research, but it was a very rich contract that Cleveland swallowed. If that's true and the salary portion of that contract is significant, Buffalo may not want to use that much of their cap space on him. I'm assuming at this point the Bills will head into the season with Taylor as starter and Peterman as backup. You're not going to want to spend much money on a third string guy. It is pretty much a given that if your third string QB is playing more than a game or two, your season is in deep doo doo.

Edited by TigerJ

Who is 60 years old.

On a more serious note, I believe Cleveland acquired Osweiler via trade. I haven't done the research, but it was a very rich contract that Cleveland swallowed. If that's true and the salary portion of that contract is significant, Buffalo may not want to use that much of their cap space on him. I'm assuming at this point the Bills will head into the season with Taylor as starter and Peterman as backup. You're not going to want to spend much money on a third string guy. It is pretty much a given that if your third string QB is playing more than a game or two, your season is in deep doo doo.

Seems like there must be an analysis of this somewhere, but here's what I don't get: when the Browns traded for Osweiler, the story was that they were so far under the cap they needed to spend money on someone to bring their salary base up. Getting Osweiler + a draft pick was a better deal than just throwing away money to get up to the minimum. But ... now they dump Haden's big contract. Doesn't that put them back where they started? There's a DePodesta crazy (or crazed genius? That remains to be determined) manipulation going on here, but I don't get it.

EDIT: this seems to be what they're up to: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/30/cutting-haden-could-be-the-final-precursor-to-cutting-osweiler/

Edited by The Frankish Reich

In baseball parlance he'd be called an "inning eater," which means he can take up space at quarterback but will be mediocre. Let's look for someone with some upside.

Since people want someone with "upside", I propose we sign 16 QBs on Saturday. Let each one play 1 game. Every week we got someone with upside. After they reach their cieling late in the 4th quarter we can move on to next man up that still has "upside".

Nope.

He lost out to Kizer because their performance was close enough that it was worth going with the young guy that they spent a high draft pick on, and they aren't going to pay Oz $17M to be a backup.

No reason for Taylor to go, as you can easily afford to give Oz a mid-level backup deal. He knows the offense and is clearly a better option than Yates.

Yes they will. I'm pretty sure they need his contract to be above the minimum total salary. But then I read this below. It is a four year window not a single year. But they are so far below the cap they still might need that 17 M pay out to ensure they reach the minimum over four years. And they just cut Joe Haden's 11M salary

The 2017 league year represents the start of another four-year window in which teams must spend a minimum of 89% of the cap in cash. All 32 teams met the 89% threshold for 2013 to ’16, with the Oakland Raiders the last to do so.

Tommy. Tony Romo.

Don't forget Kurt Warner

They are rare to find, but have virtually zero cost to look for them. A 6th round pick or a PS guy can't cost more than a offensive quality control person.

Keep drafting and signing them.

RG3 is still intriguing to me. What would we have to lose?

Colin Kaepernick is far better than RG3

Yates is the "safe" choice, and there is a built in bias toward the safe choice on the part of almost all NFL front offices. I would be shocked if Yates is not with the team after the dust clears the air. The only way that does not happen is if Yates' concussion symptoms linger and Wenning plays lights out when he has a chance. The Bills could at that point IR Yates and stick Wenning on the PS. That would let them carry just 2 QBs on the active roster and save a roster spot for another position.

I agree with you that Yates likely will stay for the reason you outlined but its safe because it reduces the opportunity for second guessing, and if that is your MO its pretty tough to win championships.

Tell you this right now: if Cleveland ends up cutting Osweiler, I would absolutely sign him to compete with Peterman. He knows the system and can capably fill in for 4-5 games as he demonstrated in Denver. If he didn't have an enormous contract, then he wouldn't be in any danger of getting cut in Cleveland.

Agreed, he is an upgrade from Yates

If you lose out in Cleveland..... WOWZERZ

Cleveland would have to eat that ridiculous salary

Taylor would need to go as well.

Why do you say that Taylor would need to be released? They wouldn't put in a waiver claim, rather they would wait until he cleared and then sign him at market price. If the market is too steep let him go.

Yates being the safe choice is like banging a hooker without a condom.

I'm not sure I get that analogy lol